Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA warns Spurs of Yid Chant

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Yawn. Jesus, hasn't anyone got anything to do at the FA?

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I can't help but think a certain Chelsea fan is using this campaign to keep his name in the limelight. By a distance the unfunniest man of a once popular duo.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You're getting yourself in a right old pickle here. So 'Yid' is not OK because they were mass murdered, but 'Pikey' is, because they weren't? (they were).

Has anyone thought to ask the Jews what they think, or are we getting offended on their behalf?

Aren't you getting offended on behalf of Spurs' fans?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I accept that there are many, on most "fan" boards, that clamour for the right to throw out obscenities and insults as though they are sweeties - no evidence though that this relevant tiny number of individuals are representative of the millions who go to watch football.

I also believe that the vast majority of football fans have grown up ???

I think that Brighton fans as a demographic are very, very different to the majority of football fans in the country. And especially the ones that post on NSC. Most fans at away grounds seem perfectly happy to throw obscenities at everyone, I'd say that it is the minority who want to kick it out of the game.

Anyway, home time, I'm outta here.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The original point of the thread was about Spurs fans not being allowed to use the word that they refer to themselves as. That is a whole different kettle of fish to people singing songs about sending them to concentration camps. I don't hear Spurs fans singing those songs. I doubt you'd find anyone on this thread who would argue those songs are acceptable.

Ledley King saying people used to chant the N word at him is a very, very different matter to thousands of Spurs fans calling themselves the Yid Army.

Same with all this homophobia stuff. Thousands of fans booing or collectively abusing an openly gay player would be homophobic, and completely unacceptable. Thousands of fans singing "We can see you holding hands" to a group of thousands of other fans, isn't.

So are you implying their is an okay offence chant and a nasty offence chant and groups of people chanting don't cross these lines at any times. The whole process started as Chelsea fans were uncomfortable that fans sang pretty nasty songs at Spurs fans, who in turn used it back as a so called badge.

Very good radio programme last year on Radio 5 called 'Ajax and the Jews' about how they ended up with a similar mantle and how they are trying to rid the home and away fans from singing and using anti semitic chants.

If it wasn't an issue why would top players endorse the campaign against it, is just to promote their own profiles, strange way to do it...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Oh dear. There are a few people making a bit of a fool of themselves. Romany Gypsies are a completely separate group recognised as an actual ethnic group.

The word Pikey has been used for centuries and only recently changed to be derogatory against Irish travellers etc. Therefore the original word Pikey has nothing to do with it. I suggest you research slightly better.

blimey...I bet you are a fun guy at parties

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
blimey...I bet you are a fun guy at parties

Brilliant how you can come up with such a funny comment. Well done you. Obviously my annoyance at people ignorance means I can't have fun at parties. You have been added to my p**** list which is growing pretty big now.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Buster_Keaton_Levy_Jewish_Rye.jpg

How many Albion fans can honestly say ...

"For we're the men from Sussex, Sussex by the Sea.
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men are we"?

Probably not many female fans, that's for sure....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I can't help feel that Baddiel and the FA have got this completely arse about face about who to target. Surely - in the same way as gay people have claimed the word 'queer' and black people 'n****r'. Let's stop the bigots using the word rather than those who wish to redefine it as a positive thing.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Clearly there was because they were happy to use the real name for Guy Gibson' dog in the Dambusters film. I'm not saying it's right but it was acceptable back then.
To white people anyway. Not a dig, just an addition to your post.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't see this as a big deal. The word has been reclaimed, that's a good thing but the vast majority of the Yid Army aren't Jewish so I think it's time to move on. The Yid thing only really started in the 80s with football hooligan gangs, before then you wouldn't hear the word.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Tottenham fans aren't predominantly Jewish any more, so the fans have no real right to use it positivity or negatively.

"Badge of honour" that assumes that one takes a negative and turns it into a positive, So being Jewish is a negative? Or is it the other fans that are anti-Semitic? If that's the case no one should use the word, surely?
Agreed. Brighton fans aren't predominately gay, so hopefully the Authorities will clamp down on us next and prosecute people who sing disgusting chants such as "1-0 to the Nancy boys!" or "We're gay and we're beating you!" These chants use 'gay' in a pejorative manner, i.e. they imply that homosexuals are a far too limp-wristed and effete to play football and thus losing to a gay team is something that should embarrass 'real' men. This isn't the 1970s any more and there's no place for this in modern football. Just go to the game, sit down, cheer for you team and go home without being rude to anybody. You don't shout abuse when you're at at a Cliff Richard concert do you? No. Well don't do it at football, it's exactly the same.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
If you really don't think Yid is remotely offensive, find someone Jewish you know as an acquaintance and call them one. Do it in the workplace. See how you go. Reclaimed words are still offensive to some, in fact with the N word, it's still offensive in any context to the overwhelming majority of black people.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I can't help feel that Baddiel and the FA have got this completely arse about face about who to target. Surely - in the same way as gay people have claimed the word 'queer' and black people 'n****r'. Let's stop the bigots using the word rather than those who wish to redefine it as a positive thing.

How many Jewish people call themselves Yids? Very, very few.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Of course it does. Maybe not that exact phrase but they refer to one an other as ****** all the time. They certainly do in the films/tv/podcasts I watch and listen to. Watch any of Chris Rock's standup and see how many times he uses the word.

Here comes Big Ron.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Agreed. Brighton fans aren't predominately gay, so hopefully the Authorities will clamp down on us next and prosecute people who sing disgusting chants such as "1-0 to the Nancy boys!" or "We're gay and we're beating you!" These chants use 'gay' in a pejorative manner, i.e. they imply that homosexuals are a far too limp-wristed and effete to play football and thus losing to a gay team is something that should embarrass 'real' men. This isn't the 1970s any more and there's no place for this in modern football. Just go to the game, sit down, cheer for you team and go home without being rude to anybody. You don't shout abuse when you're at at a Cliff Richard concert do you? No. Well don't do it at football, it's exactly the same.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here