Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA warns Spurs of Yid Chant

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Well I'm glad we've cleared that up then!

Are the 10% offended by the 90%? I honestly don't know, my guess is probably not else they would have piped up yonks ago.

The only person I've ever known of to be offended by it is Baddiel and he is a "Chelsea" fan.

Shouldn't that be ........and he is a Chelsea "fan"?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Is this the death knell for our "1-0 to the batty boys!" chant?

I have always believed that the best black humour is that of black comedians or satirists and the best jewish humour emanates from jews. It is invariably imbued with a combination of self deprecation and the added bite that comes from cultural perspective and it has genuine potential ro break down barriers. Similarly Irish, feminist, LGBetc..........

Not directly applicable to football songs maybe but there is an element of babies and bathwater that comes from broad brushstroke rulings.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
I'm assuming you agree that we should not be allowed to call Palace fans pikeys or similar ever again?

That's a fair point but the word Pikey doesn't represent hundreds of thousands of people being led to gas chambers. I again refer to the away fans in the video. A clear example of racism that would definitely offend a cross section of society.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Why is it in these discussions people don't ever use the words they mean. Why not just say '******' or 'Yid' why do we have to dance around the subject so much?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Too much PC thinking? really? Having a dog called N***** and not knowing whether to type black or coloured. It is exactly for these reasons that this PC thinking has come about. I'm really not sure there has ever been a time when its was truly acceptable to call a black dog n*****!!!

How about Winston?

This thread is sponsored by:
terry_2360717b.jpg

and:
Italy-v-Serbia-006.jpg

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Why is it in these discussions people don't ever use the words they mean. Why not just say '******' or 'Yid' why do we have to dance around the subject so much?

Fear!

And forgetting context is important in these issues.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Are we now at the point about splitting hairs about which specific type of gypsy 'pikey' refers to?

If that's the case then I'm out of here.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013

Oh dear. There are a few people making a bit of a fool of themselves. Romany Gypsies are a completely separate group recognised as an actual ethnic group.

The word Pikey has been used for centuries and only recently changed to be derogatory against Irish travellers etc. Therefore the original word Pikey has nothing to do with it. I suggest you research slightly better.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That's a fair point but the word Pikey doesn't represent hundreds of thousands of people being led to gas chambers.

Yes it does.

And that's beside the point, anyway. You can't say we can't be nasty about one group because they've had a hard time, but we can about another because they haven't. Hypocrisy, as usual with anything like this.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Yes it does.

And that's beside the point, anyway. You can't say we can't be nasty about one group because they've had a hard time, but we can about another because they haven't. Hypocrisy, as usual with anything like this.

No it doesn't!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here