Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] FA Cup v Stoke early thoughts

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
No way will that many be there.

Harvesters will take the chance, paper tickets and all, that they'll get the 15 big ones whilst sat at home in front of the FireStick.
Is harvesting that rife?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
No way will that many be there.

Harvesters will take the chance, paper tickets and all, that they'll get the 15 big ones whilst sat at home in front of the FireStick.
Last time there were was a barcode on the ticket, so the club will still be able to collect the data from Stoke as to whether a ticket was used or not from the turnstile scanners, any harvesters at home will not get the points.

I think our support is being underestimated here, I think people do want the points, but I think this team has rekindled the magic of the cup for us as we now genuinely see ourselves as potential winners. It will be an excellent turnout tomorrow, I just hope the team can do it justice.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think our support is being underestimated here, I think people do want the points, but I think this team has rekindled the magic of the cup for us as we now genuinely see ourselves as potential winners. It will be an excellent turnout tomorrow, I just hope the team can do it justice.
I agree with this. If I was in the mix for a latter stages European ticket (as opposed to way down the pecking order), this is exactly the sort of game I'd be going to in order to bolster my points. Plus we are well capable of winning this trophy.

Dr_irx

Jan 4, 2024
I know we're playing West Ham on Tuesday, but our 3rd active competition starts on Saturday 6th with a visit to Stoke.

Given the number of injuries we've sustained, contrasting against Roberto's desire to compete on all fronts, I'm intrigued as to how strong we can be for this.

I don't see any injured players returning for this (Buonanotte and Igor aside).

If we are hoping for some domestic Cup glory, this game is important; plus I'm going, so I want to think we can win!

So, what do you think? How strong should be be?
I live in Manchester and by the time I had established I could get my son to the Stoke game on time, tickets are only available for pickup at the Amex that while I am a long time fan th 500+ mile round trip is not an option. Is there a way of picking up any spare tickets from those attending other than just turning up on the day? I need help because my son was born in Manchester and wants to support United so help me fight the good fight!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Last time there were was a barcode on the ticket, so the club will still be able to collect the data from Stoke as to whether a ticket was used or not from the turnstile scanners, any harvesters at home will not get the points.

I agree to a point, and I may be a little cynical.

That said, we all remember B'muff a few years back. Since then the clamour for points has increased significantly and for some, the cheap price with 15 pts next to it will be too hard to resist.

A freezing Stoke in post Christmas January might deter a few. It will still, I am sure, be a great turn out but to say that there won't be quite a few no shows would be naive imho.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not going to lie and pretend that the 15 loyalty points (and cheap tickets) were not a factor, in the lad and I deciding to make Stoke one of our rare away trips.

But our position in the LP food-chain is such that the points might very well make no difference to our UEL last 16 chances (we'll only be in with a shout at the biggest possible away grounds), so we are setting out tomorrow for a good day out - to be enjoyed for what it is in itself.

The points are just a bonus -which is as it should be.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm not going to lie and pretend that the 15 loyalty points (and cheap tickets) were not a factor, in the lad and I deciding to make Stoke one of our rare away trips.

But our position in the LP food-chain is such that the points might very well make no difference to our UEL last 16 chances (we'll only be in with a shout at the biggest possible away grounds), so we are setting out tomorrow for a good day out - to be enjoyed for what it is in itself.

The points are just a bonus -which is as it should be.
But the points are a factor, which is why 4,000 are going and not 2,500.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I'm really looking forward to this one (although 4 degrees in Stoke less so!!). I think that RDZ will 100% want to win this match (I don't think he knows any other approach) and will 100% NOT want a replay, which should make for a very entertaining match, especially as if it's still level with 20 to go as I'd expect us to really go for it.
It is actually quite good for us that there is a potential replay as it should mean that Stoke are less likely to 'do a Charlton' and play for penalties from minute one.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I agree to a point, and I may be a little cynical.

That said, we all remember B'muff a few years back. Since then the clamour for points has increased significantly and for some, the cheap price with 15 pts next to it will be too hard to resist.

A freezing Stoke in post Christmas January might deter a few. It will still, I am sure, be a great turn out but to say that there won't be quite a few no shows would be naive imho.
You always get no shows and there will be tomorrow but I'd wager the statistically normal amount. All sort of factors can affect attendance, health, travel, family commitments, just not being arsed on the day. The no shows tomorrow will not be on the scale the Bournemouth debacle (which instigated the new tougher regime), but yes there will be some.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm really looking forward to this one (although 4 degrees in Stoke less so!!). I think that RDZ will 100% want to win this match (I don't think he knows any other approach) and will 100% NOT want a replay, which should make for a very entertaining match, especially as if it's still level with 20 to go as I'd expect us to really go for it.
It is actually quite good for us that there is a potential replay as it should mean that Stoke are less likely to 'do a Charlton' and play for penalties from minute one.
I have ZERO inside knowledge on this, but I'm going to speculate that the players getting a few days in the SUN, on some cushy little winter break training camp, in the Algarve or Dubai, is dependant on this NOT going to a replay. That ought to spur our lads on a bit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well yes - that's LITERALLY what I just wrote!
You did, and then EMBELLISHED it by saying those extra points might make no difference to you in the end. All I'm saying by way of explaining the large following, is that those points are still ultimately a factor and that for others (and you) might very well make the difference in the end.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have ZERO inside knowledge on this, but I'm going to speculate that the players getting a few days in the SUN, on some cushy little winter break training camp, in the Algarve or Dubai, is dependant on this NOT going to a replay. That ought to spur our lads on a bit.
The Palace (& Everton) players must be livid (other than DCL, who gets a long break now).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
At the time of that game, Van Hecke and Enciso had never started a Premier League match for the Albion, and Sarmiento had played one...
And Sanchez was the regular keeper. Lamptey also, hasn't been a regular since the COVID season.

Enciso left the Bet365 almost in tears, he was so poor when he came on as a sub. Almost everything he did that day failed to come off, and he looked devastated.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Stoke is one ground I’ve never been to before. Sorry if this has been asked already but any tips for parking within, say, 20 mins walk from the ground? And apart from the pottery museums, pencilled in for Sunday, any recommendations for cultural distractions? Thanks.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Stoke is one ground I’ve never been to before. Sorry if this has been asked already but any tips for parking within, say, 20 mins walk from the ground? And apart from the pottery museums, pencilled in for Sunday, any recommendations for cultural distractions? Thanks.
I'm sure Herr Tubthumper has some thoughts for you on this.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I live in Manchester and by the time I had established I could get my son to the Stoke game on time, tickets are only available for pickup at the Amex that while I am a long time fan th 500+ mile round trip is not an option. Is there a way of picking up any spare tickets from those attending other than just turning up on the day? I need help because my son was born in Manchester and wants to support United so help me fight the good fight!
Worth ringing the ticket office you may be able to pick up at stoke as you normally do with duplicate tickets that do not reach the recipient in time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here