Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] FA Cup v Stoke early thoughts

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I know we're playing West Ham on Tuesday, but our 3rd active competition starts on Saturday 6th with a visit to Stoke.

Given the number of injuries we've sustained, contrasting against Roberto's desire to compete on all fronts, I'm intrigued as to how strong we can be for this.

I don't see any injured players returning for this (Buonanotte and Igor aside).

If we are hoping for some domestic Cup glory, this game is important; plus I'm going, so I want to think we can win!

So, what do you think? How strong should be be?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know we're playing West Ham on Tuesday, but our 3rd active competition starts on Saturday 6th with a visit to Stoke.

Given the number of injuries we've sustained, contrasting against Roberto's desire to compete on all fronts, I'm intrigued as to how strong we can be for this.

I don't see any injured players returning for this (Buonanotte and Igor aside).

If we are hoping for some domestic Cup glory, this game is important; plus I'm going, so I want to think we can win!

So, what do you think? How strong should be be?
I think we'll be as strong as we can be, given that there is no first team game for two weeks after that one.

Also, the opportunity to blood many of the U21s is impacted by their own last 16 FLT match at the AMEX, a couple of days later.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Stoke sit 18th in the Championship, and their win at Birmingham on Boxing Day was there first win in 11

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I'm loathe to say it, but I'm really not fussed about the FA Cup this year. Hell, we're not going to win it, anyway, and we have enough on our plate as it is. There will always be other years to focus upon it.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm loathe to say it, but I'm really not fussed about the FA Cup this year. Hell, we're not going to win it, anyway, and we have enough on our plate as it is. There will always be other years to focus upon it.
I understand your view, but get through this game and we'll have players coming back from injury and perhaps some new faces as well.

I think Roberto will continue to take the FA Cup seriously and play close to our strongest team, whatever that may be.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Normally, if we weren't in the Europa League, I'd say go for it - strongest XI all the way.

But we are in Europa League. We might never be in the Europa League again, who knows.

I think it would be a positive thing if we went out in the 3rd round to be honest.

Team full of kids please.

Although I know RDZ. He will want to win. He'll play a surprisingly strong side, even versus Stoke.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Play the kids IMHO

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I understand your view, but get through this game and we'll have players coming back from injury and perhaps some new faces as well.

I think Roberto will continue to take the FA Cup seriously and play close to our strongest team, whatever that may be.
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly, but my personal view is that I really don't care much about it - this year, at least.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Normally, if we weren't in the Europa League, I'd say go for it - strongest XI all the way.

But we are in Europa League. We might never be in the Europa League again, who knows.

I think it would be a positive thing if we went out in the 3rd round to be honest.

Team full of kids please.

Although I know RDZ. He will want to win. He'll play a surprisingly strong side, even versus Stoke.

I’m not sure the relevance of the EL to this, in all honesty, as we don’t play again in that until March. If we’d not won the group, and therefore had another couple of games in Feb to contend with, I could more see your point.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
This season I’m really not fussed. I would rest the following as minimum:

Welbeck, Pedro, Gilmour, Gross, JPVH, Dunk, Lallana, Estupinan.

I think a mixture of U21’s and some experienced pros who need minutes would be good. Would be good to see Moder, Verbruggen and Dahoud get a start and I would start Ferguson as well, he needs a goal.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Fit players for Stoke

Plus u23s

Keepers
Steele
Verbruggen

Defenders
Hinshelwood
Van Hecke
Dunk
Estupinan

Midfield
Gross
Gilmour
Milner
Dahoud
Baleba
Moder
Lallana

Strikers
Pedro
Welbeck
Ferguson

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I’m not sure the relevance of the EL to this, in all honesty, as we don’t play again in that until March. If we’d not won the group, and therefore had another couple of games in Feb to contend with, I could more see your point.

The fixture congestion issue isn't a short term problem, it's accumulative.

If we make it through to the fourth round, then we will have: Mon 22nd Jan Wolves, Saturday 27th FA Cup, Tuesday 30th Luton.

If we make it through to the fifth round, then we will have: Sat 23th Feb Everton, Wed 28th FA cup, Saturday 2nd March Fulham

It's too much.

Essentially these extra fixtures we could really do without, even if they are a month or so before our Europa League games.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think we'll be as strong as we can be, given that there is no first team game for two weeks after that one.

Also, the opportunity to blood many of the U21s is impacted by their own last 16 FLT match at the AMEX, a couple of days later.
Good point - it would be really good to progress in that competition too - U21 teams don't usually do very well in it, I think - and I'm not sure if any U21 team has ever won it? Would be good to be the first.
So, a strong first team for the FA Cup please. Maybe McGill to be the Cup goalie for this season?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This season I’m really not fussed. I would rest the following as minimum:

Welbeck, Pedro, Gilmour, Gross, JPVH, Dunk, Lallana, Estupinan.

I think a mixture of U21’s and some experienced pros who need minutes would be good. Would be good to see Moder, Verbruggen and Dahoud get a start and I would start Ferguson as well, he needs a goal.
If we rest Dunk, JPVH and Estupinan we'd only have Hinshelwood as our available defender

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here