Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] FA Cup Semi-Final v Man Utd - 4:30pm, Sunday 23rd April

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Those that asked got help (believe most did). Taking the chance of asking nicely on here and posters being able to talk to them privately to ascertain their "fan" status is a good way of self policing and ensuring our fans are getting the tickets. I wouldn't have helped a bloke down the pub who just fancied a day out but never been to a game.
Exactly and if I do get extra tix and for some reason any of them can’t be used, they’ll be sold on here at face value

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Those that asked got help (believe most did). Taking the chance of asking nicely on here and posters being able to talk to them privately to ascertain their "fan" status is a good way of self policing and ensuring our fans are getting the tickets. I wouldn't have helped a bloke down the pub who just fancied a day out but never been to a game.
Realistically everyone has a story about why they should have a ticket, I disagree with people on here buying other NSC members tickets, for me just because someone posts on here and lives in Australia for example doesn’t mean they are more entitled than any other fan.

Like I said you could argue all those who did purchase tickets for others are the reason some of the non membership holders who are ‘bigger’ fans (however you define that) missed out.

It’s all done in good intention I know but I didn’t personally agree with the premise of offering to buy strangers on an Internet forum tickets.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Not sure what people have got against Membership. I’m no longer a season ticket holder, but I’m more than happy to pay £30 per year (less than the price of one game) for the ability to keep a foot in the door.
If you are willing to pay ~ £100+ for a day out at Wembley and the the other games you want to go to throughout the season, then why wouldn’t you be happy to pay the £2.50 per month for the membership?
I understand where you're coming from and I don't think many would suggest that purchase history get priority over members.

However, it is a little strange that non-members with purchase history had no option to buy tickets in any window, unless they found someone to get them a guest ticket. Surely someone with purchase history has just as much loyalty (if not more) than a guest of a STH, who could be literally anyone.

Personally I'm very lucky that a STH on here was generous enough to get me guest tickets, and will probably buy a membership next year to avoid the risk, which I guess is ultimately what the club want.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Realistically everyone has a story about why they should have a ticket, I disagree with people on here buying other NSC members tickets, for me just because someone posts on here and lives in Australia for example doesn’t mean they are more entitled than any other fan.

Like I said you could argue all those who did purchase tickets for others are the reason some of the non membership holders who are ‘bigger’ fans (however you define that) missed out.

It’s all done in good intention I know but I didn’t personally agree with the premise of offering to buy strangers on an Internet forum tickets.
I have to agree. I got slightly annoyed at people popping up with "long time NSC lurker since 2004" as if that means anything. Sorry mate, never heard of you. If I was a good Samaritan, you're not the person my guest allowance would be buying for.

As I say, it's a real shame the purchase history window wasn't snuck in ahead of the STH guests window, but the reality is that this decision probably affects no more than 1,000 hard luck stories, and in truth I would trust the club to add that in next time this happens.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
I have to agree. I got slightly annoyed at people popping up with "long time NSC lurker since 2004" as if that means anything. Sorry mate, never heard of you. If I was a good Samaritan, you're not the person my guest allowance would be buying for.

As I say, it's a real shame the purchase history window wasn't snuck in ahead of the STH guests window, but the reality is that this decision probably affects no more than 1,000 hard luck stories, and in truth I would trust the club to add that in next time this happens.
I doubt it, as I presume the decision was made specifically to drive behavioural change, I.e. memberships for the previously unconverted from next season onwards. Which makes sense from a commercial perspective.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Loads on that page selling tickets too
I think this is something that hasn't been discussed much if at all. Allowing STHs to buy tickets to be used by anyone, no name, no fan number required, absolutely encourages ticket touting. Considering all the measures the club has put in place this season to discourage touting, i find it really hard to square that with this casual, 'get two tickets for anyone you like' approach.

Not to mention that we know there are thousands of Man U fans living in Sussex with no other route to get tickets than asking their brighton supporting mates.

I couldn't believe the speed that tickets were disappearing yesterday morning for 'friends of season ticket holders'

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
But if you are Barbs, and you want more people to see the benefits of being STH or MA+, then more people will buy them. Of the many benefits of being a STH, a subtle new one just arrived - being able to entertain friends as guests at big occasions. Costs neither the Club nor the STH a single penny, but both are deliriously happy, well played Barbs I say, good commercial decision. End result, buy an ST or an MA+.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I think this is something that hasn't been discussed much if at all. Allowing STHs to buy tickets to be used by anyone, no name, no fan number required, absolutely encourages ticket touting. Considering all the measures the club has put in place this season to discourage touting, i find it really hard to square that with this casual, 'get two tickets for anyone you like' approach.

Not to mention that we know there are thousands of Man U fans living in Sussex with no other route to get tickets than asking their brighton supporting mates.

I couldn't believe the speed that tickets were disappearing yesterday morning for 'friends of season ticket holders'
I was about to say the same - would have thought that the club would prefer to have a fan number on every ticket bought, a) to help prevent ticket touting, and b) in case of anyone being a bit naughty, it's much easier to ban that person's fan number directly than to work out which STH was responsible for them and decide whether to ban them as well

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Trouble with that is that the club have used STH guests as a way of selling tickets in previous rounds. These STH guests don't get a purchase history because the tickets are not assigned to them individually.
So, these people have been to previous cup games and don't have a purchase history.
You would now be excluding them.
Not really, doubt the numbers would have been huge, would just have reduced the amount available in the P2 STH Guest window a bit, but rewarded those who have been to a certain number of (ideally recent) games in their own name with the opportunity to buy before my ‘best mates wifes son’s girlfriend’s brother’ or whatever asked me for a ticket for them in STH Guest P1

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
But if you are Barbs, and you want more people to see the benefits of being STH or MA+, then more people will buy them. Of the many benefits of being a STH, a subtle new one just arrived - being able to entertain friends as guests at big occasions. Costs neither the Club nor the STH a single penny, but both are deliriously happy, well played Barbs I say, good commercial decision. End result, buy an ST or an MA+.
I agree. The Club's opportunity is to reward those that "invest" in the Club via ST/MA+ . Any other romantic views of loyalty/longevity from fans is just another opinion, but probably doesn't help the club in all reality. I struggle to argue against it, but recognise there will be some hard-luck stories out there.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
At the expense of fans who can’t afford season tickets?

Fact is, season ticket holders buying two extra tickets are likely buying them for people who don’t attend games, have membership etc that’s why I disagreed with that policy, it’s encouraging tickets falling into the hands of those who just want to go simply because it’s a ‘day out’ not because they really support the club.

If you’re a season ticket holder, you should be able to get first choice but I can’t quite get my head around why me being a season ticket holder means I’m entitled to get tickets for a couple of my mates who never come to games?

Ultimately I think the club have made a mistake here because lots of our tickets are going to end up in the hands of man United supporters, I’ve seen ManU supporters on Facebook offering £100 for £45 tickets.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Fact is, season ticket holders buying two extra tickets are likely buying them for people who don’t attend games, have membership etc that’s why I disagreed with that policy, it’s encouraging tickets falling into the hands of those who just want to go simply because it’s a ‘day out’ not because they really support the club.

If you’re a season ticket holder, you should be able to get first choice but I can’t quite get my head around why me being a season ticket holder means I’m entitled to get tickets for a couple of my mates who never come to games?

Ultimately I think the club have made a mistake here because lots of our tickets are going to end up in the hands of man United supporters, I’ve seen ManU supporters on Facebook offering £100 for £45 tickets.
But how do you know that it is a fact -that is simply what you want to think. How do you know that they are not buying a ticket for family members who also support the Albion? I see your point that not everyone can afford a season ticket or indeed commit to every match, but the cheaper alternative surely is then to be an Albion + member -then you would have been before the guests in the pecking order.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex

The Club will see it as an added benefit for having a ST I guess? If STH then sell those tickets onto nameless potential touts then they are abusing that benefit - that's the STH fault, not the Club's. I would expect, if caught, (that may not happen) then that benefit would be removed becuase the STH would get banned. These are called "guest" tickets for a reason. Same as signing someone into your golf club for example.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

The tickets being offered 'for sale' on the Facebook thread are fake/scammers .... people living in Nigeria for example. Some people are getting taken in by it.

Who in there right mind would offer tickets for sale on an official club post :ROFLMAO:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Seem to remember man utd fans travelling down with man City for late in season game with man City, buying season tickets to get access to Wembley final tickets in 83.

Mates dad got headbutted by a scum utd fan in the brighton end for saying something to them.

Hopefully not the same this time

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
I was about to say the same - would have thought that the club would prefer to have a fan number on every ticket bought, a) to help prevent ticket touting, and b) in case of anyone being a bit naughty, it's much easier to ban that person's fan number directly than to work out which STH was responsible for them and decide whether to ban them as well
I bought a guest ticket for my daughter, it has my name an fan number on. Anyone would be daft to tout their ticket tbh...

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
... but the reality is that this decision probably affects no more than 1,000 hard luck stories, and in truth I would trust the club to add that in next time this happens.
Yep ... I feel more for my lad who is a member (I pay for it) and went in 2019 ... but he can't get out of work this year so can't go!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here