[Albion] FA Cup quarter final v Grimsby Sun 19th March 2.15

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Can't be arsed trawling through the rest of this thread so it may have been mentioned but Grimsby have to sign off on ticket prices and a £25 sell out will make them around £300k Mo way were they going to sign off on cheaper
people seem to forget when it comes to cup games the visitors have an input.
additionally with the travel included I think £25 is great value for a quarter final

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Can't be arsed trawling through the rest of this thread so it may have been mentioned but Grimsby have to sign off on ticket prices and a £25 sell out will make them around £300k Mo way were they going to sign off on cheaper
As a Grimsby fan I don’t think £25 is at all unreasonable for a quarter final at a Premier League ground against a Premier League club. As you suggest, it will result in a significant windfall for us and so it seems a fair happy medium in that regard. £300k is of course small beer for PL clubs, but for is it is around 10% of what would have been our projected annual income at the start of the season, and it’s about double what we sold our best player for at the start of the season.

There will be no issues shifting nearly 5,000 tickets in the away end, you can be sure of that.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Here's hoping I see this one as I have only managed 1 of our Quarter Finals.

1983 - Too young to be able to force to go.
2018 - Had tickets and a hotel but Gastroenteritis put paid to that
2019 - Bad fan didn't fancy another trip to Millwall after trips in other years

Just leaves 1986 as my only Quarter Final experience,

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
As a Grimsby fan I don’t think £25 is at all unreasonable for a quarter final at a Premier League ground against a Premier League club. As you suggest, it will result in a significant windfall for us and so it seems a fair happy medium in that regard. £300k is of course small beer for PL clubs, but for is it is around 10% of what would have been our projected annual income at the start of the season, and it’s about double what we sold our best player for at the start of the season.

There will be no issues shifting nearly 5,000 tickets in the away end, you can be sure of that.
The draw is a win win for me - we have a fantastic opportunity to get to Wembley again but failing to do so will result in a League 2 side getting there instead, I'm sure it will take a day or two for me to convince myself of that should we lose but I will cross that bridge should we come to it. :D

And you get the happy medium of a reasonable windfall with a fighting chance of a win. Don't know if you or your board would have preferred a massive payday in Manchester with virtually no hope of a result or this outcome.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
The draw is a win win for me - we have a fantastic opportunity to get to Wembley again but failing to do so will result in a League 2 side getting there instead, I'm sure it will take a day or two for me to convince myself of that should we lose but I will cross that bridge should we come to it. :D

And you get the happy medium of a reasonable windfall with a fighting chance of a win. Don't know if you or your board would have preferred a massive payday in Manchester with virtually no hope of a result or this outcome.
I think, in terms of cold, hard cash, Man Yoo away was probably the best draw. But in terms of our incredibly slim chances of progressing, I don’t think they’re meaningfully any greater against Brighton.

I could find a narrative in my head that said we could beat Southampton. I can’t come up with anything remotely sane that says we can do the same against Brighton at the Amex. You never know, football is a funny old game, but something beyond my comprehension would have to ensue for us to prevail.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Your club has also won over £500,000 in prize money by reaching the QF.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Your club has also won over £500,000 in prize money by reaching the QF.
Yeah, combining prize money, gate receipts and TV money, we should be well over £1m up by the time we’re done with the game of the Amex.

That assumes we lose. If we did happen, somehow, to make it to the semi-final, that would be worth something like another £2.5m all in, on top of what we’ve already made, which would be absolutely game-changing for us.

I keep saying it, but it’s also a fictional scenario in my mind. I look to Lincoln’s quarter final against Arsenal in 2017 as a good barometer of expectation. They lost 5-0 and that score line, give or take a goal, seems a fairly realistic outcome. Any improvement on that, however small, would be a bonus.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm really hoping you're pissed because otherwise your reading comprehension needs some serious work.

I never said life was tough, I never said I had to choose between football and anything else. Although obviously people can be 26 with kids and a mortgage so it's mental point anyway. I mainly gave up my season ticket because I hated what VAR did to the experience of match going fans. How many people do you see on here, Facebook, twitter etc moan that VAR ruins football whilst still going every week? Fair play to those who still go, but everybody has a breaking point and the introduction of VAR was mine.

It is eye-opening though that you assume that the only reason would be surprised by ticket prices is because they can't personally afford it. Speaks volumes of how you navigate the world, but there we go.
Jeez, it was you saying the price was too high, shrug?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How much are they? I haven't looked yet...
I think we paid a fiver each for standing tix, at the 1983 Final - I guess they've gone up a little, since then. :)
Last season’s detail :

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
If you a Grimsby Fan you will be spending rather more than 25 quid to get down to/stay in Brighton unless you are hitching a lift up/down and then sleeping rough. I know Northerners are Hard but this would probably be a bit excessive! :lolol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I usually sit in the West Upper, but want to go to the North for the QF, is it likely that I'd be able to get 3 tickets together?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If you a Grimsby Fan you will be spending rather more than 25 quid to get down to/stay in Brighton unless you are hitching a lift up/down and then sleeping rough. I know Northerners are Hard but this would probably be a bit excessive! :lolol:
It’s swings and roundabouts cost wise really. Northerners don’t need to own t shirts and jumpers when going to scorchio aways at places like Brighton in March.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

"Ticket fulfilment​

Tickets will be fulfilled as mobile tickets sent by a link in the confirmation email. Mobile tickets must be downloaded in to your digital wallet prior to the match. Print at home is also available at a cost of £2.50 per ticket. Please note the game will automatically be added to 1901 members digital season tickets." - so plastic card fans have to print at home? No printer then what? I wouldve thought the whole point of the cards was its easy to digitally add these after all the Man U games when its rearranged will be adjusted accordingly as it will for mobile smartie phones
How on earth can the club charge 2.50 for a print at home ticket?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
How on earth can the club charge 2.50 for a print at home ticket?
Count yourself lucky it isn’t Ticketmaster! They standardised the old “admin cost” scam. It’s free money - pure margin with zero cost to them.

Admin fees in general are pretty much the Wild West. Unregulated, easy cash.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Count yourself lucky it isn’t Ticketmaster! They standardised the old “admin cost” scam. It’s free money - pure margin with zero cost to them.

Admin fees in general are pretty much the Wild West. Unregulated, easy cash.
Admin fees I understand. But paying for a print at home ticket I don’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports