FA approach hodgson westbrom give permission to talk!!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I have to disagree, after the 2010 world cup when the players were bored, confined to their rooms etc, Harry would have them enjoying themselves, laughing, creating a team spirit. That goes a long way regarding performances on the pitch. Look at England under Venables at Euro '96. Yes it was on home soil but the two managers are very similar in my opinion. We'll wait and see I guess.

Different strokes and all that. Hoddle had an excellent and galvanised team, and he left 'Gazza' at home because of the risk that he might throw the team spirit too far into devil-may-care party mode.
I don't think Roy Hodgson is a closed sort who might clamp down the atmosphere. In that department I can't see how Harry would be Mr Jolly and Roy not.
Tactically Harry is not necessarily a miracle worker, and for my money he's had the talent at his disposal underperforming too many times.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Trust me I'd rather Roy over redknapp I think Harry wud b an awful choice. Only problem with Roy is u no u will get a negative boring approach n if he gets it wrong once the press/fans will hammer him! They seem to prefer losing playing gd football. I'd rather a younger manager for a young team and just let them have 3/4 tournaments to get it right!

Fulham were anything but negative and boring when they reached the Europa Cup Final.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The problem with Roy is his reputation for a very regimented approach formation and boring training while he drills into his team where they should be on the pitch. It was one of the reasons he failed at Liverpool - the players thought they were above that - and it took time at Fulham to be accepted.

Internationally he won't have that time with the players, for better or for worse.

A far better appointment than Rednapp. And at least he is English.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is brilliant. I wish I was a fly on the wall when Redknapp first heard this news.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
That Roy Hodgson will be next England manager lump on at 6/1, believe that Ladbrokes have stopped betting, could be announced tonight.:sheep: :moo:

The FA are clueless ,allowing fabio to book accomodation in a location which will require our team to travel thousands of miles to complete the 3 fixtures in the 1st round while france stay around the corner from the ground where they will play us, and now apparently appointing Hodgson as manager, we have zero chance of getting through said 1st round

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have to disagree, after the 2010 world cup when the players were bored, confined to their rooms etc, Harry would have them enjoying themselves, laughing, creating a team spirit. That goes a long way regarding performances on the pitch. Look at England under Venables at Euro '96. Yes it was on home soil but the two managers are very similar in my opinion. We'll wait and see I guess.

Wasnt' the relaxed approach, do what you like etc the way Sven allowed the players to approach the 2002 and 2006 world cups hence the diametrically opposite approach from Capello. Neither was successful but I would blame either for the failings on the pitch.

Different strokes and all that. Hoddle had an excellent and galvanised team, and he left 'Gazza' at home because of the risk that he might throw the team spirit too far into devil-may-care party mode.
I don't think Roy Hodgson is a closed sort who might clamp down the atmosphere. In that department I can't see how Harry would be Mr Jolly and Roy not.
Tactically Harry is not necessarily a miracle worker, and for my money he's had the talent at his disposal underperforming too many times.

I think Hoddle didn't take Gazza because he did like him and his lifestyle. Gazza not being 100% fit was the get out that he used. Big mistake in my opinion.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Fulham were anything but negative and boring when they reached the Europa Cup Final.

I remember one of their games in that particular campaign that was just surreal to watch. I'd never seen the ball moved around so fast ! Possession football with a purpose that was a sheer joy to watch.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Surely his ability to manage big name/ego players must be a worry given what happened at Liverpool.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Redknapp himself said he was fine at Spurs, because he could pick players of almost any nationality. Trying to mould eleven Englishmen into a Euro/World force has proved almost impossible for over forty years, and I don't think he could make a better fist of it tbh, just because of the hype. Hodgson on the other hand, assisted by Stuart Pearce for the Euros, would do a better job IMHO

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Got a lot of experience and has only done a bad job at Liverpool really - could work out well so its a good choice.

If he does go - id expect a "Gus to West Brom" topic

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Surely his ability to manage big name/ego players must be a worry given what happened at Liverpool.

Harry Redknapp gets through players at Spurs like nobodys business! Pienaar being the most recent example.

The appalling form under Kenny Dalglish shows how ridiculous the Liverpool job was for Roy. I'm certain he would have for it right given any sort of time and funds. He certainly wouldn't spunk 35M on Andy Carroll!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The FA are clueless ,allowing fabio to book accomodation in a location which will require our team to travel thousands of miles to complete the 3 fixtures in the 1st round while france stay around the corner from the ground where they will play us, and now apparently appointing Hodgson as manager, we have zero chance of getting through said 1st round

Have you ever been happy or positive about anything in your whole life?

Every post you make seems to be a bloody moan or whinge, you're getting to be worse than BensGrandad.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Have you ever been happy or positive about anything in your whole life?

Every post you make seems to be a bloody moan or whinge, you're getting to be worse than BensGrandad.

You compare me to bens grandad,i`ve never felt so insulted in my whole life.Seriously though look at the location of the England teams digs,they will have to travel over 4 thousand miles to play 3 games while france stay around the corner from the stadium, piss take by capello or what.:albion2::albion2::albion2:

seagullsdaz

May 3, 2009
Brighton
Trust me I'd rather Roy over redknapp I think Harry wud b an awful choice. Only problem with Roy is u no u will get a negative boring approach n if he gets it wrong once the press/fans will hammer him! They seem to prefer losing playing gd football. I'd rather a younger manager for a young team and just let them have 3/4 tournaments to get it right!

Anyone got a response to this?

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Harry is the man for me, at least he is English

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports