Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2023

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Just seen all the fans got kicked out of the grandstands before the delayed 2nd practice started, because the security / stewards had finished their shifts.

So for $919 (full price) they got 9 minutes of action.

I'd be FUMING

Sep 29, 2017
Portslade
That exact thing happened before a year or two back at another street circuit.

FP2 2am - 3:30am. Bizarre.
Baku 2019- George Russell the victim of the jumping drain covers. The recovery vehicle then hit a bridge with its crane and leaked hydraulic fluid into his car. Not sure how much the chuckle brothers charged for this service but worth every penny!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Baku 2019- George Russell the victim of the jumping drain covers. The recovery vehicle then hit a bridge with its crane and leaked hydraulic fluid into his car. Not sure how much the chuckle brothers charged for this service but worth every penny!

It's also happened at Monaco a few times over the years, and they've got an awful lot of experience.

Sainz will be fuming. His car got totalled: Ferrari replace the chassis, as well as power unit components. Which means he's now got grid penalties because he's exceeded the allowed number of components. Ferrari applied to the stewards to be exempted from the penalties due to the damage being out of their control, but the rulebook doesn't give the stewards any discretion to do that (the stewards did say that if it did, they would).

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
It's also happened at Monaco a few times over the years, and they've got an awful lot of experience.

Sainz will be fuming. His car got totalled: Ferrari replace the chassis, as well as power unit components. Which means he's now got grid penalties because he's exceeded the allowed number of components. Ferrari applied to the stewards to be exempted from the penalties due to the damage being out of their control, but the rulebook doesn't give the stewards any discretion to do that (the stewards did say that if it did, they would).
The letter from the Stewards was basically

"The stewards note that in their opinion the rules are f***ing awful and want to make it clear that they hate them"

Followed by "please appeal this decision"

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Followed by "please appeal this decision"

The appeal section is standard text written in all stewards' decision documents. There's no point in appealing this one, though, as the stewards are correct. The rulebook is very clear, and rigid. There's no scope for not applying the penalty, as unjust as it is.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Regulations will very likely be updated for next season due to the level of stupid in the Sainz decision. Plenty of rules have a "at the steward's discretion" clause

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Ah! Las Vegas
Who remembers Alesi in the Tyrrell giving Senna a fight in the McClaren

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Stupid o clock. Verstappen should absolutely be penalised for that, first corner or not (by penalised, I mean give the place back, not hung drawn and quartered)

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Best race of the season, a classic for the ages.

Gutted for Sir Lewis, car he has been provided with by Mercedes is an absolute disgrace to him.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Best race of the season yes, classic for the ages didn't think so or maybe the time didn't help my sleepy opinion of it

Williams pissed me off, dropping massive points with a stupid strategy

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Leclerc and Ocon had fantastic races
Circuit looks dangerous to me

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It was the best race of the season, which says more about the season than this Grand Prix

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
It was the best race of the season, which says more about the season than this Grand Prix
Yup. As does the complete lack of any comment on Abu Dhabi following on from it. (which, to be fair, I felt was an "interesting" race - in particular towards the end with Leclerc trying to engineer a result that would put Ferrari ahead of McLaren in the WCC).

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
So, with the season done and dusted, let's take a look back and laugh at my pre-season predictions :ROFLMAO: :

On Prediction 1: Bzzzt, fail.

On Prediction 2: Bzzzt, fail.

On Prediction 3: Partial, but more fail than success in the end.

On Prediction 4: I'm going to claim this one as a success. Especially with the latest rumour being that Ricciardo's 2024 contract specifically covers the possibility of him replacing Checo during 2024.

On Prediction 5: Claiming this as well, I think a 7th place WCC finish and some of Albon's heroic drives scores this one as a success.

On Prediction 6: More success than fail. AM lost their way a little and surrendered what looked to be a very secure top-4 WCC result, but form came back a little late season. Alonso, as predicted, led the charge. Failed on the element of Alpine also being a P4 challenger, although they were (a long way back!) the closest team behind AM.

On Prediction 7: Success. Car was a lemon initially, transformed into what would have been a P2 WCC contender if they'd had it from race 1. Both drivers have commented multiple times during the year about the unusual handling characteristics (apparently still there even in the updated car).

On Prediction 8: Sargeant struggled, but was not replaced. So, a fail.

On Prediction 9: Spectacular fail :ROFLMAO:.

On Prediction 10: Big fail here as well. Red Bull did start making noises about the impact of the penalty, but it all went quiet once it was clear they were so far out front they were never getting caught.

Score: 4/10 (3x correct, 1x 0.33, 1x 0.66).
Assessment: Must do better in 2024.

So while day 1 of this 3 day test is still running, I thought I'd take a stab at some pre-season predictions for the season ahead based on not much at all evidence :ROFLMAO:. Here we go, my top 10 predictions for 2023:

1. (Red Bull will start the season with the fastest car ✅), but their wind tunnel / CFD penalty for overspending in 2020 will affect their development rate [❌] and they'll be caught in the second half of the season [❌].

2. Hamilton wins races (multiple) and is in the title fight deep into the season. [❌]

3. Ferrari are right in the hunt on pace [❌], but continue to drop the ball operationally and Leclerc gets increasingly frustrated [✅] leading to (rumours that he'll jump ship ✅). [Rumours already started before race 2... including one suggesting a Hamilton / Leclerc swap. All gone quiet towards end of the season though.]

4. The threat of Ricciardo taking his seat hangs around like a bad smell that Perez just can't get rid of. Rumours begin swirling as soon as Perez has a few bad races [✅].

5. Williams become regular points contenders, constantly on a pace (with Albon) for finishes in the 8th-12th range [✅].

6. (Aston Martin take a step forward ✅) (with Alonso) and become a genuine P4 WCC contender alongside Alpine. [2nd fastest first half of season, but have dropped back. With 5 races to run still in 4th, but likely to lose that to McLaren]

7. McLaren's struggles from 2022 carry over into 2023 for at least the first 5 races. (Norris and Piastri both complain of strange car characteristics that hamper the handling ✅). [Driver comments were made during testing, but then revised after the Bahrain race. Big development packages mid-season transformed the car.]

8. Sargeant struggles and is replaced by Mick Schumacher mid-season [❌]. [Logan will see out the season but likely to be replaced for 2024]

9. De Vries handily beats Tsunoda, resulting in the latter losing his seat at the end of 2023 (if not before the end of the season) and is replaced by whichever Red Bull junior aces F2 (or possibly Mick Schumacher if prediction 8 doesn't happen) [❌]. [De Vries sacked mid-season, replaced by Ricciardo, who was then replaced by Lawson due to injury.]

10. The WDC title fight goes down to the last race [❌]. Verstappen has an early lead whittled down during the second half of the season, (with Horner constantly moaning about the impact of the wind tunnel / cfd penalty on their in-season development ✅). [OK, they're not quite 'moaning' level yet - but Horner and Marko have both already opened the can. I'm sure the worms will be tipped out ASAP anyone catches them [❌]]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So, with the season done and dusted, let's take a look back and laugh at my pre-season predictions :ROFLMAO: :

On Prediction 4: I'm going to claim this one as a success. Especially with the latest rumour being that Ricciardo's 2024 contract specifically covers the possibility of him replacing Checo during 2024.

On Prediction 5: Claiming this as well, I think a 7th place WCC finish and some of Albon's heroic drives scores this one as a success.

On Prediction 6: More success than fail. AM lost their way a little and surrendered what looked to be a very secure top-4 WCC result, but form came back a little late season. Alonso, as predicted, led the charge. Failed on the element of Alpine also being a P4 challenger, although they were (a long way back!) the closest team behind AM.

On Prediction 7: Success. Car was a lemon initially, transformed into what would have been a P2 WCC contender if they'd had it from race 1. Both drivers have commented multiple times during the year about the unusual handling characteristics (apparently still there even in the updated car).

On Prediction 10: Big fail here as well. Red Bull did start making noises about the impact of the penalty, but it all went quiet once it was clear they were so far out front they were never getting caught.

Still not a bad effort. As someone who was closely following Lando this season I did remember your McLaren prediction a couple of times during the season.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020

I rather hope you're not a betting man.
I predict all the cars will start with four wheels next season. The yellow flag will get used and Wolf man will be considerably taller than spice boy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here