Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2023

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
What on earth was George Russell doing there?? Taking Lewis out. Incredible, he should know he's the junior partner, lost a lot of respect for him in the last few weeks.

George finds himself in 3rd after his brutal take out of his own team mate.
Surely it was Hamilton who has caused that? George has nowhere to move between Hamilton and Verstappen, meanwhile Hamilton has taken too tight a line considering there is someone on his inside.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
What on earth was George Russell doing there?? Taking Lewis out. Incredible, he should know he's the junior partner, lost a lot of respect for him in the last few weeks.

George finds himself in 3rd after his brutal take out of his own team mate.

Good lord. 100% Hamilton's fault. And, I would argue, the type of error that Hamilton has been prone to throughout his career. Not regular enough to be a problem as such, but he does appear to have the memory of a goldfish when it comes to overtaking - it's not the first time this season he appears to have forgotten that another car is highly likely to still be alongside him and taken a line that causes contact as a result.

And what happened to Sainz? Why didn’t he start?

Sainz' car had a fuel leak that was detected too late to be able to fix it before the race.

Thought the race itself was reasonably entertaining. Max dominated from the front, but there was plenty of good racing to enjoy behind him. It's a shame McLaren called off the racing between Norris and Piastri, but can understand why - big points on offer in their chase to catch Aston Martin in the WCC, no point (*ahem) in risking that by allowing the boys to race.

Really enjoyed the Sprint race on Saturday, primarily because Verstappen was beaten in a straight fight on merit. Well done Piastri.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The whole weekend felt a bit of a farce TBH with the tyre issues, completely took away any scope for strategy calls and largely negated the contest TBH

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The whole weekend felt a bit of a farce TBH with the tyre issues, completely took away any scope for strategy calls and largely negated the contest TBH

Interesting one here, I actually thought the tyre situation made it more interesting. Firstly, we got to see what a race can be like if the drivers can push the tyres for a whole stint. Beyond that, we still got some interesting strategy calls - for example the Alfa's took a different approach and nabbed some points as a result. And I'm not sure Russell would have been able to get back to 4th in a normal race.

In other news, Perez' 2024 seat is looking increasingly shaky. Horner's made a few comments post-race that can only be interpreted as a "hurry up and sort yourself out":

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I wouldn't have thought there'd be many options to replace him with at this late stage, though? Unless they take Danny Ric back and parachute Lawson back into his seat at Alpha Tauri
That's the theory I've seen floated.

1. Danny Ric is very popular at the team, and they know he works well with Verstappen.

2. Investing too heavily in Tsunoda is a risk, as he's a Honda man as well as RB. Tsunoda rather unusually at the Japan race voluntarily put out a statement denying any links with Aston Martin (who will have Honda engines from 2026). For me it had the feel of a driver protecting his '24 and '25 seats rather than one denying what happens for '26.

3. There's been a few rumours floating around that Perez' only remaining motivation in F1 is to win races and try for a title, but that he's also growing keener by the day about hanging up his helmet and dedicating more time to his young family. Could we see him announce his retirement over the Mexico race weekend?

4. Sticking Ricciardo in the Alpha Tauri seat this season was about a whole lot more than just ditching De Vries and filling the vacant AT seat. They could very easily have done that by going direct to Lawson. Having Ricciardo at AT this season, and then signing him for the '24 season, is all about putting pressure on Perez. RB are sending a very clear message that they have a driver on their books that they will happily promote to the second RB seat as soon as they feel that is their only option.

5. RB have said Lawson will have an F1 seat no later than '25. If you're Perez, the numbers are easy enough to add up. Unless he ups his game considerably, '24 is probably as far as he goes. And if he doesn't up his game, he probably doesn't get to the end of '24 either.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Perez' position looking increasingly shaky in the wake of the Qatar race. Never a good sign if Helmut Marko is handing out quotes suggesting you might need a change of team to relocate your form... And backed that with a statement that they'll see how the next 2 races go. That's a clear warning shot.

However: Red Bull are very, very keen on achieving a 1-2 result in the WDC. It's something they've never done before and a box they want to get ticked. I think that protects his seat for now, but I suspect a seat for '24 hangs in the balance. If he gets pipped to second by Hamilton, the gloves will come off for sure. Even if he does hold on to second, the manner in which he does so could be very instructive. Go out with a series of strong podium finishes and he maybe gets to start 2024 sat in an RBR car. Squeak home by a few points having missed more Q3 sessions and only scoring handfuls of points here and there and he'll be offered his choice of an Alpha Tauri seat or a retirement cheque.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Yes, I found it extremely confusing, given the multiple tyre stops, to figure out who was really leading, so I hope they don’t have these issues in future!

The only certainty seemed to be that MV was going to win again but that’s hardly been in doubt all season.

Incredibly boring to watch, I think. Think the only race I’ve enjoyed this season has been Singapore. Still a bit baffled as to why RB was so far off the pace in that one, considering their total dominance in every other race?!

Thank god for the Sky commentators who were able to unscramble it all!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
However: Red Bull are very, very keen on achieving a 1-2 result in the WDC. It's something they've never done before and a box they want to get ticked. I think that protects his seat for now, but I suspect a seat for '24 hangs in the balance. If he gets pipped to second by Hamilton, the gloves will come off for sure. Even if he does hold on to second, the manner in which he does so could be very instructive. Go out with a series of strong podium finishes and he maybe gets to start 2024 sat in an RBR car. Squeak home by a few points having missed more Q3 sessions and only scoring handfuls of points here and there and he'll be offered his choice of an Alpha Tauri seat or a retirement cheque.

Since I posted this yesterday, there's been a rumour storm brewing over on Reddit F1. Nothing as yet that I'd consider as coming from reliable sources, however the latest piece to emerge this afternoon is from Globo, who once-upon-a-time had the F1 telecast rights in Brazil. In an article that has Luciano Burti (ex-F1 driver) as one of 2 authors, they claim that Perez has been given an ultimatum: if he doesn't finish 2nd in 2023, he's out. Ricciardo would step up to RBR for '24, and Lawson would slot into Alpha Tauri (or whatever it is they'll be called next year, as the team is due to be rebranded again). According to the report, even if he retains 2nd place his seat isn't secure.

It sounds like they (Horner) want him to go out and *win* it, not just scrape home. Perez needs a run of strong podium finishes. A string of 4th/5th/6th place finishes but still getting second in the WDC because the McLaren's prevent Hamilton from picking up enough points to close the gap won't be enough.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
I really can't see how Riccardio would be an upgrade on Perez
RB just aswell blood in a youngster for when MV calls it a day
Which could happen sooner than you think
He won't spend his time running around looking for points
As soon as the RB domination is over he'll call it a day

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I really can't see how Riccardio would be an upgrade on Perez
RB just aswell blood in a youngster for when MV calls it a day
Which could happen sooner than you think
He won't spend his time running around looking for points
As soon as the RB domination is over he'll call it a day

It's simple. Assuming Red Bull can get Ricciardo back to driving as well as he was when he last drove an RB car in a race, they know they'll have a driver who likes the same car characteristics as Max. Not quite to Max standards, but should be a lot more reliable than Perez. RB also know that Daniel and Max get along in the same team and work well together.

Also, if Perez does get dropped they will be blooding a youngster - Lawson will slot into Alpha Tauri. Honestly don't think Perez would accept an AT seat even if it was offered. It'll be RB or retirement in Perez' head IMO.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If anyone fancies popping over to Vegas for the race they are pretty much giving away tickets and rooms now as they can not sell them.

It's a mess..... the locals are not happy.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
If anyone fancies popping over to Vegas for the race they are pretty much giving away tickets and rooms now as they can not sell them.

Just had a look and I'm amazed that there are still balcony rooms available at the Cosmopolitan over looking the track. Its almost tempting.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

If I hadn’t already spent all my money on Ajax, Everton and Forest I’d almost be tempted

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just had a look and I'm amazed that there are still balcony rooms available at the Cosmopolitan over looking the track. Its almost tempting.
Flights are wide open with virgin on the 14th/ 15th.

I'm tempted to book off the race week next year then wing it last minute if the same thing happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here