Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2023

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nobody else actually ENJOYING a Grand Prix again???

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I quite enjoyed it Icy.

The trick is to ignore the redbull 7 laps clear and pretend the squabbling over the podium and lower places are actually the battle for first.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Perhaps Vetstappen could stop on the finish line and let his team mate win. That was great entertainment when Coulthard did it.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
So…are McLaren back?
Certainly looks like it. Although Norris is saying they've only solved "30%" of the problems they had. Few factors to consider before getting too excited:

- Aston Martin are up-and-down. They appear to be weaker on the faster circuits (such as Austria and Silverstone) and stronger on the slower circuits (Hungary is next...)

- Similarly, McLaren have a track record of having a car that is far better on the faster tracks than the slower ones. So McLaren are likely to find themselves back behind Aston at Hungary IMO.

- Ferrari had a 'mare at Silverstone, makes it difficult to compare.

But yes, I think McLaren are now firmly in the "we should expect both cars to make Q3" group. Along with Red Bull, Aston Martin, Ferrari, and Mercedes. Of course, we all know it won't work out like that. Perez seems to be allergic to making Q3 at the moment. Stroll just isn't good enough for the seat he's in. Albon seems able to get some really good one-lap pace out of the Williams and that car is improving, so he's becoming a genuine Q3 contender. Alpine is in the mix if anyone slips up. And for whatever reason, one Haas seems to be able to produce a lap in Q2 that gets them into Q3 regularly.

Reactions: A1X

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Perez really doing his best to get sacked now as he puts it in the wall early in first practice.

• Haha

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Perez really doing his best to get sacked now as he puts it in the wall early in first practice.
That **** Horner is no RDZ, only one player as far as Red Bull are concerned and it’s always been like that. Can’t knock the success they’ve had by only backing Vettel and Max though.

The pressure on Perez with a car built for Max and what appears to be limited support can’t be easy, just pressure, pressure pressure. He used to be a decent driver

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That **** Horner is no RDZ, only one player as far as Red Bull are concerned and it’s always been like that. Can’t knock the success they’ve had by only backing Vettel and Max though.

The pressure on Perez with a car built for Max and what appears to be limited support can’t be easy, just pressure, pressure pressure. He used to be a decent driver
We’ve seen before #2 drivers leaving Red Bull and it actually working out OK for them (Gasly an obvious example recently), I suspect the same will happen soon enough with Checo (assuming he wants to continue)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting that Lewis was 16th in yesterday’s practice and yet today is fastest by a margin in final practice. Looking forward to quali, no doubt Max’s dog of a car will come good :angry:

The new rules about using hards in q1, medium in q2 and softs in q3 will make things interesting

Last edited:

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I genuinely think we have the top three all with claims to a win tomorrow. All can be aggrieved with their qualifying, but arguably Lando can be happier with third vs second. Probably the quickest but better to be third than second here. Trying to remind myself Verstappen can be beaten....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Looks like the rain is going to hand the Aussies The Ashes. The only bright side to that is having the prospect of a competitive race to watch instead. Hamilton loves Hungary and the prospect of him, Max and Lando arriving at turn one together is one to relish.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
On a side note - seems everyone is being sensible and staying within the white lines this weekend (apart from a couple during qualy) - amazing what a bit of gravel and rough kerbs can do as a deterrent!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

We've all probably noticed that the Red Bull second driver, whoever he is always struggles every year.

But at the beginning of this year Perez was pushing Verstappen all the way in the first 5 races up to Miami.
Ver 119 points Per 105.
Ver 3 wins, Per 2,
Ver 2 poles, Per 2 poles.

However After Miami, starting at Monaco Perez has somehow had continual problems in practice and qualifying and has therefore been starting from way back. Max is now well clear so I guess Perez can start a little higher up the grid now.

How's that for a conspiracy theory :)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Come on Lewis keep that arrogant Dutch Shitehouser behind you today. I’d love it if Lando got him at the start too

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Come on Lewis keep that arrogant Dutch Shitehouser behind you today. I’d love it if Lando got him at the start too
Would also love this to happen, but VerSTROPpen has the faster race car. I’m hoping he gets collected in the first corner and taken out of the race. If he drops down the grid he’ll still have a chance to work through the field. He needs a DNF.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Would also love this to happen, but VerSTROPpen has the faster race car. I’m hoping he gets collected in the first corner and taken out of the race. If he drops down the grid he’ll still have a chance to work through the field. He needs a DNF.
Sadly turned into yet another snoozefest :down:

Expect Perez to quite possibly end up on the podium too, such is the car’s superiority

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
All too predictable sadly.
I have one or two friends who slag off football all the time and don’t understand why I’m not into F1 as much as they are as it’s ‘so exciting’ and ‘not as ‘corrupt’ as other sports.
Good LORD!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here