Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
Meanwhile in the U S and A:
1687157420971.png

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Much as I dislike Max, he just doesn’t make big mistakes does he? Really hope that we can get proper competition for him again before the season ends. He has been under less pressure than any F1 champion I can ever think of this season and that includes Lewis in his best seasons.
I'm enjoying the racing behind Max and just ignoring that Max exists. The problem we've got is that two of the top-tier seats available this season are (so far) being utterly wasted by the backsides occupying them: Perez and Stroll simply aren't doing enough with their cars.

Perez made a valiant effort to suggest a Red Bull vs Red Bull WDC title fight might be possible for a few races early on, but his challenge has collapsed in a heap. And unlike Leclerc's effort collapsing in a heap last season, Perez's issues have all pretty much been self-inflicted mostly in qualifying. He's trying too hard to match Max on qually pace and ending up even further away from him as a result. He just needs to concentrate on securing 2nd on the grid and not worry about what Max is doing.

Stroll's similarly not performing well enough. Alonso is showing what's possible in that car, Stroll should at a minimum be putting that car into Q3 every race and scoring good points. His underperformance is likely to cost Aston Martin 2nd in the WCC this year now that Mercedes have found a bit more pace.

In other news to watch out for: McLaren apparently have a *massive* upgrade package coming. So big that it will be deployed over 3 consecutive races (Austria, Britain, Hungary) and will see pretty much every single aerodynamic part updated.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Austria this weekend, Britain next weekend.

Few things to watch out for over these two weekends:

1. McLaren's upgrades. Yet to have official confirmation of exactly what they're bringing for Austria, but they have said the next 3 races will have a raft of upgrades and early indications via Twitter are that this weekend they'll have a new floor, new sidepods, and new engine cover. So pretty much all the large aero surfaces other than the wings.

2. De Vries. The Red Bull sharks are swirling, with Helmut Marko going public that Horner didn't want De Vries and that he's currently being proven right. Two poor races from De Vries could mark the end of his F1 career, as Red Bull are known for being ruthless. Potentially De Vries is already living on borrowed time, with a stay of execution while RB decide who to put in his seat. Do they take the easy route and slot in Ricciardo to get a better look at him, with a view to what happens with Perez's seat in the future? Do they yank Lawson out a title fight in Japan's Super Formula and throw him in the deep end mid-season? Do they pluck Iwasa out of F2 (currently 3rd in the standings) and have an all Japanese driver line up? Or do they go for broke and try to get Palou (leading Indycar)?

3. Ferrari. Some talk floating around that they might actually have a strong car for Austria. Could we see a front row Ferrari lock out followed by a battle with Verstappen on race day?

4. And, of course, it's the second Sprint race weekend. Fun.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
4. And, of course, it's the second Sprint race weekend. Fun.
On that, qualifying is about 4pm on Friday afternoon for anyone planning on watching so bear that in mind if you’re at work to set your recorders.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Couple of points from me.

Been a fan since I was about 6, 1993.

F1 used to be accessible. Now it isn't. Looked at Italian GP tickets over the weekend - charging €500/600 euros cheapest for a seat on the straight for the weekend. Literally just cars going in a straight line for an hour and 20 mins.

Last race I went to was British GP 2018, about £240 for a grandstand seat on Farm curve and weekend ticket. Went to Canada the year before, $90 general admission. That was acceptable, good value. (even if I wouldn't recommend Canada GA to anyone, still a good price).

Everything is at least double now, 5 years later, if not more. Bloody drive to survive generation. I'm not even old but I'm resentful, sooner or later this wave is gonna break and F1 will be screwed.

Still watch religiously on TV, mind. But when having a DRS gap 0.2mm too large results in exclusion, and a cost cap overspend at the start of a generation results in sod all, it makes you think about spending money to watch.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Couple of points from me.

Been a fan since I was about 6, 1993.

F1 used to be accessible. Now it isn't. Looked at Italian GP tickets over the weekend - charging €500/600 euros cheapest for a seat on the straight for the weekend. Literally just cars going in a straight line for an hour and 20 mins.

Last race I went to was British GP 2018, about £240 for a grandstand seat on Farm curve and weekend ticket. Went to Canada the year before, $90 general admission. That was acceptable, good value. (even if I wouldn't recommend Canada GA to anyone, still a good price).

Everything is at least double now, 5 years later, if not more. Bloody drive to survive generation. I'm not even old but I'm resentful, sooner or later this wave is gonna break and F1 will be screwed.

Still watch religiously on TV, mind. But when having a DRS gap 0.2mm too large results in exclusion, and a cost cap overspend at the start of a generation results in sod all, it makes you think about spending money to watch.
Don't use your rear view mirrors...........I've got Brands Hatch in mine!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Watching the sprint:

Verstappen 10 seconds clear after 12 laps :facepalm:
Most uncompetitive season I have ever seen, basically lost interest only piqued when Hamilton gets within half a second in qualifying, which is a mile off the pace :down:

Not watching this w/e and I have been a massive fan since I was eight :down:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's ridiculous how much faster the red bull is than the other cars. The mercedes were never this dominant, nor the red bull in the Vettel years. I don't remember the Ferrari's dominating like this either. At least when they were all winning title after title other teams were able to win races.

Has there ever been dominance like this before?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
It's ridiculous how much faster the red bull is than the other cars. The mercedes were never this dominant, nor the red bull in the Vettel years. I don't remember the Ferrari's dominating like this either. At least when they were all winning title after title other teams were able to win races.

The W11 was this dominant, but you actually had two drivers competing then.

This year the Red Bull is about as competitive but at the same time Max is clearly a cut above the rest.

Look how effortless he looked going past the Ferraris whilst Perez struggled.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Thing is the Merc / Aston / Ferrari battle is quite good, and maybe McLaren could join that on the back of today’s showing, would be great if it wasn’t for Red Bull

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The W11 was this dominant, but you actually had two drivers competing then.

This year the Red Bull is about as competitive but at the same time Max is clearly a cut above the rest.

Look how effortless he looked going past the Ferraris whilst Perez struggled.
In qualifying maybe but the Mercedes only won 13 of 17 races. The most it won in a row was five. It was undoubtedly the strongest car of the field but it wasn't this strong. This Redbull is phenomenal.

I agree about Perez. He's doing a terrible job at the moment.

I'm coming to the conclusion that there should be a Newey cap. He should only be allowed to work for a team for one season...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So…are McLaren back?

kojak

Jan 17, 2022

McLaren MP4/4

Driven by the two greatest drivers Formula 1 has known

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports