Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Re the Porsche entry, seeing rumours on twitter about them buying a 50% stake in Williams off of Dorilton, but a partnership with Andretti would certainly be interesting.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Re the Porsche entry, seeing rumours on twitter about them buying a 50% stake in Williams off of Dorilton, but a partnership with Andretti would certainly be interesting.
I missed that one - I think because the sort of deal Porsche wants (majority ownership) had been ruled out by Williams during talks with Audi.

So either Dorilton have had a change of heart and are now willing to relinquish control, or Porsche have and are willing to buy in as a minority owner.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Ahhh, found the source of the Williams / Porsche rumour. It's Ziggo Sport ... who don't have a great track record on being correct on these types of stories.

Edit: which explains why it's all over Twitter, but *not* in the mainstream F1 press yet. Can bet the mainstream press are busy trying to validate the rumours before publishing anything themselves (because of Ziggo's poor reputation for accuracy).

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think most had worked this out, other than those who were insistent that Hamilton was over the hill and Russell was a better driver from the off at Mercedes. No names, no pack drill :smile:

Or maybe he's just lying :shrug:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I think most had worked this out, other than those who were insistent that Hamilton was over the hill and Russell was a better driver from the off at Mercedes. No names, no pack drill :smile:

Or maybe he's just lying :shrug:

I do recall someone talking about this a few months ago...sounded like LH was basically doing the testing of new components and also settings, and what was they felt was clearly working was used by GR.

In other F1 matters, I take it there's no news on the budget cap? Thought any punishment was going to be announced midweek this week rather than be during last weekend.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I do recall someone talking about this a few months ago...sounded like LH was basically doing the testing of new components and also settings, and what was they felt was clearly working was used by GR.

In other F1 matters, I take it there's no news on the budget cap? Thought any punishment was going to be announced midweek this week rather than be during last weekend.
Appears that Red Bull have agreed to an "Accepted Breach Agreement" with the FIA to be announced tomorrow. Rumour is a fine and reduction in wind tunnel time next season.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Appears that Red Bull have agreed to an "Accepted Breach Agreement" with the FIA to be announced tomorrow. Rumour is a fine and reduction in wind tunnel time next season.
Should be announced ahead of the first practice session - so we'll know by early evening tonight. As it's an ABA, the rules stipulate that the FIA *must* reveal details about the breach and the punishment. Red Bull will no doubt issue some counter-claims (Verstappen already has maintained the "we're surprised" line RB have been using) but say something along the lines of "for the good of the sport" they've entered into the ABA and will seek to ensure what is and isn't counted in the budget cap is further clarified for future.

As it's an ABA, the most stringent penalties are off the table. There won't be any points deductions, so last year's WDC and WCC results will not change. As I mentioned last night, the strong rumours are of a fine and a not-insignificant reduction in wind tunnel time for next season.

Elsewhere in F1, the Alonso saga from the CotA race has hit peak F1 ridiculousness. Alonso has his P7 back, but the way that's happened has revealed that the FIA still has significant problems in the way they manage F1. The basic sequence of events follows:

1. Alonso incident with Stroll damages Alonso's car.
2. Alonso pits to get the most significant damage repaired (new front wing) and returns to track.
3. Haas notes Alonso has a loose mirror and points this out to race direction. Multiple times.
4. Race direction, despite being rapid to ping Haas with black-and-orange flags 3 times earlier in the season, do nothing.
5. Alonso finishes 7th.
6. Haas goes to the see the stewards and are told they have 1 hour to submit their protest.
7. Haas submits their protest at 54 minutes - within the 1 hour they'd been told by a member of race control.
8. Haas protest is deemed admissible and upheld - Alonso is penalised and loses 7th place as a result. However it turns out that the deadline for Haas to submit was actually only 30 minutes. Stewards elected to accept the protest anyway because Haas had been told 1 hour.
9. Alpine protest the admissibility of the Haas protest on the grounds it was submitted late.
fast forward to today
10. Alpine protest is ruled inadmissible on the grounds it was submitted late (over an hour).
11. Alpine requests a right to review on the grounds of having significant new information they didn't have previously (as a result of details emerging from their first protest).
12. The review is upheld in Alpine's favour and the Haas protest ruled inadmissible and the Alonso penalty reversed.

The stewards at Mexico have re-iterated the stance they took in the original Haas protest that the FIA not acting during the race was wrong. FIA have now initiated a review into black-and-orange flag procedures.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Should be announced ahead of the first practice session - so we'll know by early evening tonight. As it's an ABA, the rules stipulate that the FIA *must* reveal details about the breach and the punishment. Red Bull will no doubt issue some counter-claims (Verstappen already has maintained the "we're surprised" line RB have been using) but say something along the lines of "for the good of the sport" they've entered into the ABA and will seek to ensure what is and isn't counted in the budget cap is further clarified for future.

As it's an ABA, the most stringent penalties are off the table. There won't be any points deductions, so last year's WDC and WCC results will not change. As I mentioned last night, the strong rumours are of a fine and a not-insignificant reduction in wind tunnel time for next season.

Elsewhere in F1, the Alonso saga from the CotA race has hit peak F1 ridiculousness. Alonso has his P7 back, but the way that's happened has revealed that the FIA still has significant problems in the way they manage F1. The basic sequence of events follows:

1. Alonso incident with Stroll damages Alonso's car.
2. Alonso pits to get the most significant damage repaired (new front wing) and returns to track.
3. Haas notes Alonso has a loose mirror and points this out to race direction. Multiple times.
4. Race direction, despite being rapid to ping Haas with black-and-orange flags 3 times earlier in the season, do nothing.
5. Alonso finishes 7th.
6. Haas goes to the see the stewards and are told they have 1 hour to submit their protest.
7. Haas submits their protest at 54 minutes - within the 1 hour they'd been told by a member of race control.
8. Haas protest is deemed admissible and upheld - Alonso is penalised and loses 7th place as a result. However it turns out that the deadline for Haas to submit was actually only 30 minutes. Stewards elected to accept the protest anyway because Haas had been told 1 hour.
9. Alpine protest the admissibility of the Haas protest on the grounds it was submitted late.
fast forward to today
10. Alpine protest is ruled inadmissible on the grounds it was submitted late (over an hour).
11. Alpine requests a right to review on the grounds of having significant new information they didn't have previously (as a result of details emerging from their first protest).
12. The review is upheld in Alpine's favour and the Haas protest ruled inadmissible and the Alonso penalty reversed.

The stewards at Mexico have re-iterated the stance they took in the original Haas protest that the FIA not acting during the race was wrong. FIA have now initiated a review into black-and-orange flag procedures.

Sounds about right for the FIA. Consistency is key and they seem unable to be consistent.
You could clearly see that Alonso’s mirror was damaged and a potential issue, but they failed to act. It’s not Alonso’s fault he’s obviously going to wait to be instructed he has to go in.
What I don’t understand is the end plate issues with front wings. Why do they wait 2-3 laps to see if they fall off? Surely the idea is to act before they fall off and potentially cause any issues?
It’s plain to see no lessons have been learnt by the FIA in regards to in race decisions and the issues they have had in the last 12 months.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Sounds about right for the FIA. Consistency is key and they seem unable to be consistent.
You could clearly see that Alonso’s mirror was damaged and a potential issue, but they failed to act. It’s not Alonso’s fault he’s obviously going to wait to be instructed he has to go in.
What I don’t understand is the end plate issues with front wings. Why do they wait 2-3 laps to see if they fall off? Surely the idea is to act before they fall off and potentially cause any issues?
It’s plain to see no lessons have been learnt by the FIA in regards to in race decisions and the issues they have had in the last 12 months.

I think a large part of the problem is to do with the FIA not appointing permanent stewards coupled with some of the rules being open to subjective interpretation / discretion of the stewards. If you keep changing the stewards, you're going to get different subjective opinions on rules application as well as different thresholds before they act on discretionary matters.

Step 1 for me is appointing a permanent stewards team. Take the same stewards to every single race. Instruct them clearly to establish consistency in decision making, with clearly documented post-race explanations for all decisions made that then go into a growing "precedents" file. Over the course of a couple of seasons you'll rapidly see consistency improve, and probably alongside that see accurate decisions made more rapidly as well.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
$7m fine, which is surely loose change to an org like Red Bull and doesn't even come out of their cost cap budget. Plus just a 10% reduction in aero research time. Seems very lenient to me.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
$7m fine, which is surely loose change to an org like Red Bull and doesn't even come out of their cost cap budget. Plus just a 10% reduction in aero research time. Seems very lenient to me.
It is a complete nonsense when Mercedes can pay their top driver $30 million more as a base salary in 2021 than Red Bull paid their’s without any affect on the financial cap.

If driver costs were included then the smaller teams would have a better chance of competing with the big 3. Maybe that’s why driver costs weren’t included.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Well unless something extraordinary happens in the last couple of laps this must be the dullest race of the season so far

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Well unless something extraordinary happens in the last couple of laps this must be the dullest race of the season so far
The only highlight was no going over to Horner on the pit wall every few minutes. Switched over once the chequered flag was waved.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That was so dull, easy win for Max but I find it strange that Mercedes didn’t try different strategies for Lewis and George. Their strategy was as dull as the race and bring George in just to get fastest lap when he was begging to go long on mediums and then switch to softs. Red Bull not only have the best car, they may now have the best driver and they certainly have the jump on Mercedes on strategy. Time for Mercedes to have a change in personnel at the top? Much much too cautious when they really had nothing to lose.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Surveilance on the A259 in Lancing is probably more exciting.

less calories than cocoa though. Night all! 😂

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That was so dull, easy win for Max but I find it strange that Mercedes didn’t try different strategies for Lewis and George. Their strategy was as dull as the race and bring George in just to get fastest lap when he was begging to go long on mediums and then switch to softs. Red Bull not only have the best car, they may now have the best driver and they certainly have the jump on Mercedes on strategy. Time for Mercedes to have a change in personnel at the top? Much much too cautious when they really had nothing to lose.
At least get George in for softs when they had the VSC, might at least have given Perez something to think about.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Apparently Red Bill are “indefinitely” boycotting Sky because Ted Kravitz said “Lewis was robbed in Abu Dhabi”, which is an odd stance given the FIA have basically already said much the same with their response and actions after the event. Still at least it means we don’t get Horner whinging every few minutes on their coverage.

They also think everyone should apologise to them for saying they cheated, even though they have been found guilty of breaking the rules. To my kind they ought to count themselves lucky they’re competing in the only sport where you can break the rules, be convicted of breaking the rules but be allowed to keep the title you won while breaking the rules.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Apparently Red Bill are “indefinitely” boycotting Sky because Ted Kravitz said “Lewis was robbed in Abu Dhabi”, which is an odd stance given the FIA have basically already said much the same with their response and actions after the event. Still at least it means we don’t get Horner whinging every few minutes on their coverage.

They also think everyone should apologise to them for saying they cheated, even though they have been found guilty of breaking the rules. To my kind they ought to count themselves lucky they’re competing in the only sport where you can break the rules, be convicted of breaking the rules but be allowed to keep the title you won while breaking the rules.
This is why a lot of people don't like them. Pretty much any social media post about F1, and in particular RBR, gets very toxic very quickly with snipes about crying and "Princess Lulu" which isn't particularly mature. Is it a fault of DTS? I've not watched any of it but seems to be a fairly recent turn in toxicity. I've been watching races since I was very young (in the 1970s) and been to many Grand Prix over the years, and even in the Hakkinen/Schumacher periods it was never nasty. Funny when half the circuit cleared off before the end when their driver crashed or engine let go (something that seemed to happen with remarkable frequency in the good old days!) so just as tribal supporting a driver rather than a team, but never nasty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here