Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] F1 2022

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I see, so it’s just the level of bias against LH that concerns you, a similar level against any other driver is fine - ok, I’ve got it.

Took a while but well done in the end.
If you are defending bias against LH why are you critical of bias against MV and especially ÇH?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He is not the only one Creaky, you would think I was talking about a member of his family.
Malta, your not Anthony are you???

So many have expressed a hate for max or Horner, it's their decision, but I think it's all tied down to them protecting lewis, as if he needs it, he clearly loves the limelight.

LH as a person has his issues. But seriously do you not think Horner is not a complete richard head?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Took a while but well done in the end.
If you are defending bias against LH why are you critical of bias against MV and especially ÇH?

That’s the difference between us - I don’t defend unwarranted criticism of LH, MV nor CH.

Each of those individuals have from time to time attracted my opprobrium and at other times my admiration.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The crazy thing about the FIA F1 financial cap is that it ignores one of the most expensive team elements - driver’s salaries.

LH salary this year is £12m more than that of MV - virtually double that amount in 2021.

That would be akin to FFP regulations that ignored player’s wages!

It does but then you’ve often posted it’s more about the car than the driver. If Hamilton or Max can only win in the fastest car then a level playing field is development budget cap rather than a driver salary cap. On a football team the players are the car, the manager is the driver perhaps.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It does but then you’ve often posted it’s more about the car than the driver. If Hamilton or Max can only win in the fastest car then a level playing field is development budget cap rather than a driver salary cap. On a football team the players are the car, the manager is the driver perhaps.

I’ve often posted that it is about the team as a whole not just any individual part of that team. The driver is just as important part of that team as are the pit crew, strategists, research and development, manufacturing etc. Taking the driver’s wages out of consideration for the financial cap is a nonsense.

Edit:- If the manager’s wages were not included in any FFP calculations that would be equally nonsensical

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very enjoyable race for a change. I’d tuned in, prepared to switch to NFL at any point but never switched.

How did Alonso not get driver of the day after getting points having done an involuntary wheely?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A shame it ended up with yet another Verstappen win. What a boring season it’s turned into. Still, I guess that’s what all that extra catering gets you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really enjoyed some of that race. Max reminds me of Lewis in his prime these days, quickest car, total belief and hardly ever makes mistakes. I was surprised that Lewis’ hard tyres went off and Max’s mediums didn’t during the closing stages. Seb rolled back the years, Fernando made the mistake of trusting Stroll, who is often a liability, and showed big balls to get points after that horrific moment.

All in all a great race and kept my interest until Max’s overtake on Lewis.

As an aside that was the poorest rendition of Star Spangled Banner that I have ever heard, appalling singing.

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really enjoyed last night's race too, so close yet so far for Lewis. That Red Bull is dominant and given that the last three races are all power tracks, it's hard to see Max being beaten again this year with the straight-line speed advantage the Red Bull holds over the Mercs and Ferrari.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Sainz must feel cursed. He gets a tap, has a quick spin, stays on track but has to retire while Alonso does a wheely for 100 yards before smashing into the barriers and scraping along them for another 50 or so yards but pulls into the pits gets a new nose, some new tyres and is out again and ends up in the pits. It's kind of crazy how little and how much punishment the cars can take.

Apparently the reason Alonso looked like he was going to take off is because he was going 184mph which is the speed at which a boeing 747 takes off when he went over the back wheel of Stroll.

I really hope that someone can challenge red bull next year otherwise it's going to be dullesville every race. At least Mercedes let their drivers race, for the first few years at least. Red Bull are all about Max as if he needs any extra help.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Alonso will definitely need a new set of overalls for next race after that near take off, grid penalty for skid marks?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Very enjoyable race for a change. I’d tuned in, prepared to switch to NFL at any point but never switched.

How did Alonso not get driver of the day after getting points having done an involuntary wheely?
Sorry it was Vettal

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Alonso’s penalty now being reviewed at the weekend (Mexico). Does seem a bit rum, bits hanging off car- steward’s have the option of flagging for car to pit and resolve said hanging thing, stewards don’t do that, then post-race Alonso is punished.

Seems more like the race operators should have their knuckles rapped - not the driver.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Great race, really enjoyed it thanks to Red Bull's blown pit stop. But even without that, there was plenty of action behind the leaders to keep us entertained. Was great to see the cars able to follow so close through the sector 1 sweepers. Some of Vettel's overtakes in his charge in the latter stages of the race were inspired.

Lots to talk about off the track as well:

- Mateschitz passing. Where does that leave Red Bull in the future? I can see this accelerating the mooted sale of Alpha Tauri (assuming they can find a buyer). The question then becomes how long does a Red Bull business under new top-level direction maintain their massive spending in sports, and in particular F1?

- Possible entry of Porsche into F1 in a few years, which all thought dead after the Red Bull deal collapsed, might not be as dead as we thought. Apparently Porsche are still sniffing around. They still want a significant ownership stake wherever they end up, but are rumoured to be willing to run a re-badged Audi power unit at least temporarily if they can find a way to get their name on a car. It's been mooted that this might be Andretti's foot-in-the-door: if he can do a mutually agreeable deal with Porsche (50/50 ownership?), F1 will grant him an entry purely because they want that Porsche name in the sport. Keep in mind that Andretti already has a relationship with Porsche in Formula E, taking on their power train as a customer from 2023 onwards (replacing their previous BMW units).

- Daniel Ricciardo. Definitely not racing in 2023, and is 100% focussed on landing a reserve driver role instead before a hoped-for 2024 return to racing. While Daniel says he has nothing signed yet, rumours were swirling over the COTA weekend that he's agreed a deal to return to Red Bull. That could be a very smart move: if Perez continues to struggle to provide consistent front-running back-up for Verstappen, and Ricciardo can show a returned turn of speed in testing, then he knows that red Bull aren't shy about making a change. He could even be eyeing up a potential 2023 return to the grid if Perez has a poor start next season.

- Williams have tentatively signed young American Logan Sargeant to fill the seat Latifi vacates in 2023. The deal is subject to Logan earning enough super licence points from F2. Barring disaster in the final F2 rounds at Abu Dhabi that looks a formality. He's the leading rookie in F2 this year (although Jack Doohan would have run him a lot closer with better reliability and not getting punted out of races by other drivers). Looks a decent prospect for a lower grid team, but I would expect Albon to retain the upper hand for 2023.

- That second Haas seat remains in doubt. It looks like Haas are giving Mick as much time as they can to show them what he's capable of. From the outside looking in, I have to say he does now look to be running Magnussen a lot closer. Results not coming his way, though, so Hulkenberg remains in contention. I also couldn't fail to note Steiner's very strong hint to Ricciardo to pick up the phone and get in touch. Suspect if Ricciardo did that and said he wanted the seat, it would be his. But he's ruled it out.

Edit: nearly forgot!

- Audi's buy-in of the Sauber team is now confirmed. Exact details of what that will look like TBC, but it has now been confirmed that Audi will be taking a stake of the team. It's widely believed that it will be a small stake initially, but that stake will grow over the next few years ahead of their 2026 entry as a power unit supplier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here