Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
As I said earlier I'm not into F1, I sort of understand the answer to my question regarding Hamilton not changing tyres, what I don't understand is, if Hamilton was 12 seconds clear and 4 cars between him and 2nd place, how can a race restart without that 12 second gap and also the 4 cars between them? That only takes away the the advantage of the leader.

In theory I thought it was the driver that completed all the laps in the fastest time was the winner.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As I said earlier I'm not into F1, I sort of understand the answer to my question regarding Hamilton not changing tyres, what I don't understand is, if Hamilton was 12 seconds clear and 4 cars between him and 2nd place, how can a race restart without that 12 second gap and also the 4 cars between them? That only takes away the the advantage of the leader.

In theory I thought it was the driver that completed all the laps in the fastest time was the winner.

Nailed in a nutshell.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'd summarise as follows

- Masi is Lee Mason
- If they want to manufacture a race but not make it obvious, Red flag it. That way its fair and you don't have to bend the rules otherwise it should finish under the safety car.
-Max is a worthy winner but him and Horner were classless offering absolutely zero congrats to Lewis or Merc.
-Lewis didn't seem to commit to racing next year when asked. That's potentially the bigger story that no one picked up on. You don't need to be Jonathan Creek to realise why he's not entirely comfortable racing at places like Saudi.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Mercedes going to take this to CAS, signal decision probably won't be known for many months.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Bingo, hence why this is NOT A SPORT….

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

That would be MV then - all cars started at the same time - MV finished first.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'd summarise as follows

- Masi is Lee Mason
- If they want to manufacture a race but not make it obvious, Red flag it. That way its fair and you don't have to bend the rules otherwise it should finish under the safety car.
-Max is a worthy winner but him and Horner were classless offering absolutely zero congrats to Lewis or Merc.
-Lewis didn't seem to commit to racing next year when asked. That's potentially the bigger story that no one picked up on. You don't need to be Jonathan Creek to realise why he's not entirely comfortable racing at places like Saudi.

Lewis will race next year. I'm not an F1 expert but my understanding is that they've put everything into next years car presumably due to rule changes and they are likely to be streets ahead of everyone. His challenger is therefore likely to be Russell.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'd summarise as follows

- Masi is Lee Mason

So was this race result manufactured? It seems it was to me, its like a golfer winning a major by taking more shots than his opponent because he was able to reach the green in fewer shots but not able to put

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
So was this race result manufactured? It seems it was to me, its like a golfer winning a major by taking more shots than his opponent because he was able to reach the green in fewer shots but not able to put

Masi in Lee Mason style got himself in a hole. If he let's all the cars through, the race finishes behind the safety car which as a spectacle is piss poor, if he doesn't Max can't catch Lewis with 4 or 5 cars - I forget - in the way. I suspect he went the way of Red Bull in that no win situation because he gave the other borderline decision earlier in the race the other way and he doesn't want to upset the TV execs. It wasn't bent, fixed or anything else, just a bloke out of his depth who made the wrong call and made the classic even up decision. He should have red flagged it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'd summarise as follows

- Masi is Lee Mason

It may just be coincidence, but every interview I’ve seen with Horner he’s mentioned Hamilton

According to Sky he went hunting for Toto after going to the Merc garage and shaking hands toto refused to see him and shake his hand

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Masi in Lee Mason style got himself in a hole. If he let's all the cars through, the race finishes behind the safety car which as a spectacle is piss poor, if he doesn't Max can't catch Lewis with 4 or 5 cars - I forget - in the way. I suspect he went the way of Red Bull in that no win situation because he gave the other borderline decision earlier in the race the other way and he doesn't want to upset the TV execs. It wasn't bent, fixed or anything else, just a bloke out of his depth who made the wrong call and made the classic even up decision. He should have red flagged it.

Thank you for your answer, still don't get it. If Hamilton was 12 seconds clear at the time when safety car comes out then surely when race restart he should still have that advantage.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Yep, he ballsed it up.

If it had been one lap later it would have finished under the safety car, if the clean up had taken longer it would have finished under the safety car; he couldn't have done anything about that. But it happened at just the right time in the race and was cleaned up in just the right amount of time for him to think that he had a good idea of how to finish things off, probably influenced Red Bull. The trouble is that it was actually a really shit idea.

Mercedes have a valid case IMO, don't know how legal stuff works in sport. Can't imagine there is any chance they will retrospectively win, but wouldn't be surprised if they can recover some of the lost costs they would have got from being world champions.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
If you'd like an image that neatly sums up the end of that race in football terms, here you go:

FGbBWc-WQAAntA_

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Thank you for your answer, still don't get it. If Hamilton was 12 seconds clear at the time when safety car comes out then surely when race restart he should still have that advantage.

The safety car is taken from the McRacing in America. Someone sticks it in the wall? Bring out the safety car, bunch up the field. It's better for TV as a race that looked like it was done and dusted then has the field bunched up. It works in fairness most of the time but it penalises the person in front the most. A red flag stops the race but crucially Lewis would have been able to change his tyres as well.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

In motor racing generally that doesn’t happen because the SC comes up due to a crash / debris / danger on track, they need the field in a nice compact line so the marshalls etc have at least a 90secs of clear track after each pass of the SC, so in all Motorsport the field bunches up until the track is clear, then the SC pulls in and back to racing with no previous time gaps.

The controversy here is typically there is time for the lapped cars that went in the pits to unlap themselves to their correct track position - so normally you’d have an extra lap of the SC on a clear track so all those cars can bomb it round and join the end of the train, once done, race restarts. In this case there wasn’t enough laps for this to happen, so Masi, the race director took the decision to let just 4 cars, the cars between Max and Lewis to unlap themselves thus giving the race 1 final racing lap so it’s finished under racing conditions. Obviously this gifted Max the win in this case and I think is unprecedented to only allow select cars to unlap themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here