Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Not allowing pit stops though would disadvantage just as many drivers as allowing them does.

If you were in the lead, for example, with a good gap back to second place and due to come in for new tyres - stopping when the SC ended would then mean they would probably come out of the pits in last place!

A better solution IMO would be to reduce the pit lane speed limit during the SC period thus levelling out the total time lost for a pit stop.

to a mile an hour?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
you want to increase a SC pit stop by 8 seconds, why?

8 seconds is roughly the equivalent time saving for a pit stop under the SC than at full racing speed.

The safety car reduces the speed of cars on the track by about 40% so reduce the pit lane speed by a similar amount.

Probably got my maths wrong but the principle stays the same

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Probably. It was very exciting and people don't tend to give a shit about technicalities. It would be less likely for new fans to come back if the race ended on a SC

I’m a casual fan and it made it feel like WWE to me - a manufactured result to create some drama at the end that had no basis in fair competition as far as I can work out. The equivalent of us spanking Palace 4-0, the game being stopped for an injury, and then restarted with a ‘winner takes all’ penalty shoot out. I won’t be bothering again.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m a casual fan and it made it feel like WWE to me - a manufactured result to create some drama at the end that had no basis in fair competition as far as I can work out. The equivalent of us spanking Palace 4-0, the game being stopped for an injury, and then restarted with a ‘winner takes all’ penalty shoot out. I won’t be bothering again.

I've just got back into it - my son loves it and watching with him rekindled my interest.

My first action at the end was to delete the F1 app. Having a title decided that way is a joke.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
8 seconds is roughly the equivalent time saving for a pit stop under the SC than at full racing speed.

The safety car reduces the speed of cars on the track by about 40% so reduce the pit lane speed by a similar amount.

Probably got my maths wrong but the principle stays the same

it will differ according to all the variables

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I used to be a massive fan as a kid but got bored of it when Ferrari were winning every week and then the team I followed (Jordan) disappeared. Decided (correctly) that today might be one of those big cultural moments that it would probably be best to have seen, so watched a whole race for probably the first time in 15 years.

I see a lot of people on here criticising the ability to pit during the safety car and the decision being made regarding the backmarkers etc.

The only thing is - do they overtake? Apart from the first and last lap, I saw nothing (although maybe that's partly as the directors were only interested in Hamilton and Verstappen).

If you take away on-the-fly pit strategies and the lottery of safety cars, it seems you might really take any excitement out of it, and end up with a procession every week.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've just got back into it - my son loves it and watching with him rekindled my interest.

My first action at the end was to delete the F1 app. Having a title decided that way is a joke.

A title decided by some **** at the back of the race who inexplicably lost his rear end, and a race director who sounded about as robust as a wheatabix in a bowl of hot milk.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

The short reply is with a bigger audience tuning in the FIA decided to shoot themselves in both feet. Instead of an exciting end to the title race, all the talk is of amateur hour race direction.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I used to be a massive fan as a kid but got bored of it when Ferrari were winning every week and then the team I followed (Jordan) disappeared. Decided (correctly) that today might be one of those big cultural moments that it would probably be best to have seen, so watched a whole race for probably the first time in 15 years.

I see a lot of people on here criticising the ability to pit during the safety car and the decision being made regarding the backmarkers etc.

The only thing is - do they overtake? Apart from the first and last lap, I saw nothing (although maybe that's partly as the directors were only interested in Hamilton and Verstappen).

If you take away on-the-fly pit strategies and the lottery of safety cars, it seems you might really take any excitement out of it, and end up with a procession every week.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

They can overtake if the car following can get close than 11 seconds behind which in this case they couldn’t, even with fresh tyres - that’s why you win if someone can’t get close enough to overtake you, other than just throwing in random ‘Give Us A Knock Out’ style obstacles to make it artificially exciting, like squirt out an oil slick, or throw tacks in front of an on coming car, or hire a race director that can randomly apply their own regulations.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
A title decided by some **** at the back of the race who inexplicably lost his rear end, and a race director who sounded about as robust as a wheatabix in a bowl of hot milk.

True.

Something else discussed since chez moi

a) Should / Could have Bottas "accidentally" binned it a couple of laps into the SC at a really difficult place to clean up, thus securing both the constructors and drivers championships (obviously not....but......)
b) If RB had been in that position would Checo have?

Admittedly different conditions but Russell lost it under the SC before

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
True.

Something else discussed since chez moi

a) Should / Could have Bottas "accidentally" binned it a couple of laps into the SC at a really difficult place to clean up, thus securing both the constructors and drivers championships (obviously not....but......)
b) If RB had been in that position would Checo have?

There is a theory going around that the only reason Checo was able to compete and hold up Lewis was because they under fueled him so he couldn’t have completed the race. When they told him he had lost oil AND water pressure he said ‘but the car is absolutely fine’ - they then told him to box to retire the car even though his lap times were excellent.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
There is a theory going around that the only reason Checo was able to compete and hold up Lewis was because they under fueled him so he couldn’t have completed the race. When they told him he had lost oil AND water pressure he said ‘but the car is absolutely fine’ - they then told him to box to retire the car even though his lap times were excellent.

Yeah, I'd almost forgotten. That box and retire made no sense at all.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If after race it was awarded to Hamilton would Max team have appealed the same

Of course they would. This situation isn’t a result of what either team did, and both would have done the same if the shoe was on the other foot. This is all about the call the race director made at the end when in any other race on the calendar - it would have finished under the SC in those circumstances.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks

The changes they made to the track this year that were meant to help overtaking didn’t seem to help at all, other than the first lap and finish it was a bit of a snooze.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here