Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If you'd like an image that neatly sums up the end of that race in football terms, here you go:

FGbBWc-WQAAntA_

Good work. I can think of a better example!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It may just be coincidence, but every interview I’ve seen with Horner he’s mentioned Hamilton

According to Sky he went hunting for Toto after going to the Merc garage and shaking hands toto refused to see him and shake his hand

I didn't see all the interviews as had to rush off. That said, I've yet to see Horner being a good winner or loser.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One last question. Is Max a genuine world champion or world champion by default?

He’s a genuine world champion because he still had enough points to win the title with the luck and good fortune he received in this race that for him counter balances bad luck he’s had in the season, as well as all his antics etc. Nevertheless, I’m livid how this race finished, but the guy was level on points with the GOAT and anything can happen and for him it did. It’s not his fault it happened like this for him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
In motor racing generally that doesn’t happen because the SC comes up due to a crash / debris / danger on track, they need the field in a nice compact line so the marshalls etc have at least a 90secs of clear track after each pass of the SC, so in all Motorsport the field bunches up until the track is clear, then the SC pulls in and back to racing with no previous time gaps.

The controversy here is typically there is time for the lapped cars that went in the pits to unlap themselves to their correct track position - so normally you’d have an extra lap of the SC on a clear track so all those cars can bomb it round and join the end of the train, once done, race restarts. In this case there wasn’t enough laps for this to happen, so Masi, the race director took the decision to let just 4 cars, the cars between Max and Lewis to unlap themselves thus giving the race 1 final racing lap so it’s finished under racing conditions. Obviously this gifted Max the win in this case and I think is unprecedented to only allow select cars to unlap themselves.

It’s shocking that Masi had two lapped cars between Sainz & Max meaning Sainz was never likely to challenge Max yet he cleared the cars between Max & Lewis.

The thing that has been making people in this country very angry over the last week or so is this ‘one rule for someone, a different rule for someone else’. Max was protected from attack. Unforgivable.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Yep, he ballsed it up.

If it had been one lap later it would have finished under the safety car, if the clean up had taken longer it would have finished under the safety car; he couldn't have done anything about that. But it happened at just the right time in the race and was cleaned up in just the right amount of time for him to think that he had a good idea of how to finish things off, probably influenced Red Bull. The trouble is that it was actually a really shit idea.

Mercedes have a valid case IMO, don't know how legal stuff works in sport. Can't imagine there is any chance they will retrospectively win, but wouldn't be surprised if they can recover some of the lost costs they would have got from being world champions.

Mercedes won the constructors title which is what the prize money is based on so nothing lost financially for the team as I understand it

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If you'd like an image that neatly sums up the end of that race in football terms, here you go:

FGbBWc-WQAAntA_

I don't think this is a good example at all.

In the football match the laws of the game were followed. In today's F1 race the rules weren't followed, or at least how the rules have previously been implemented and how they would reasonably be expected to be implemented.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I’m livid how this race finished, but the guy was level on points with the GOAT and anything can happen and for him it did. It’s not his fault it happened like this for him.

Neither driver did anything wrong, but however it pans out it is a tainted title. All the time and money invested for a 22 race championship then someone goes all Johnson and bungles the fukk out of it.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Neither driver did anything wrong, but however it pans out it is a tainted title. All the time and money invested for a 22 race championship then someone goes all Johnson and bungles the fukk out of it.

Masi Johnsoned it :nono:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
That is easier to explain, yes full time 2-2, but a handball before final whistle and noticed at the same time then u have to award the penalty.

Isn’t it more like being 3-0 up with seconds to go, only for the ref to give a controversial penalty and say that if tit goes in it counts as 4? It was incredible drama over in Abu Dhabi today, but it did seem grossly unfair.

I say that as someone who didn’t particularly give a fúck about the outcome.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Isn’t it more like being 3-0 up with seconds to go, only for the ref to give a controversial penalty and say that if tit goes in it counts as 4? It was incredible drama over in Abu Dhabi today, but it did seem grossly unfair.

I say that as someone who didn’t particularly give a fúck about the outcome.

But that didn't happen, the laws/rules of the game decided it was a penalty, I have no problem with the penalty.

F1 it just seems that there are no rules/laws they just take an advantage away from Hamilton and say tough. I don't really like Hamilton, and could not care less about who won the title, this was a chance for F1 to expand its fan base but I don't think that it has. I will go back to watching the crashes again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But that didn't happen, the laws/rules of the game decided it was a penalty, I have no problem with the penalty.

F1 it just seems that there are no rules/laws they just take an advantage away from Hamilton and say tough. I don't really like Hamilton, and could not care less about who won the title, this was a chance for F1 to expand its fan base but I don't think that it has. I will go back to watching the crashes again.

I was thinking about this on my run tonight.

I'm quite limited in the media I choose to consume, but it feels as it F1's profile this week has been at a level I can't remember for some time.

And if new people were watching today, would they think "exciting" or "farce"? I think there'd be more of the former, because of the sheer drama of that final lap, Verstappen's lunge which took the lead, Hamilton coming back with that incredible Merc power, a couple of close shaves as Hamilton tried to get the lead back and then Verstappen holding on.

The farcical post-race stuff probably passed a lot of those who aren't F1 fanatics by. There was the post-match interviews and the presentation, at which point they probably turned over to watch something else, believing it to be all done and dusted. The appeals and conferences with the stewards happened hours afterwards out of sight of most.

I'm not an F1 newbie but I can't wait for it to start again, and I really want to see if I can get to my first Grand Prix next year if I can.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was thinking about this on my run tonight.

I'm quite limited in the media I choose to consume, but it feels as it F1's profile this week has been at a level I can't remember for some time.

And if new people were watching today, would they think "exciting" or "farce"? I think there'd be more of the former, because of the sheer drama of that final lap, Verstappen's lunge which took the lead, Hamilton coming back with that incredible Merc power, a couple of close shaves as Hamilton tried to get the lead back and then Verstappen holding on.

The farcical post-race stuff probably passed a lot of those who aren't F1 fanatics by. There was the post-match interviews and the presentation, at which point they probably turned over to watch something else, believing it to be all done and dusted. The appeals and conferences with the stewards happened hours afterwards out of sight of most.

I'm not an F1 newbie but I can't wait for it to start again, and I really want to see if I can get to my first Grand Prix next year if I can.

Silverstone available

https://www.viagogo.co.uk/Sports-Ti...OVLEDHIWwvpTRyrqU9wsFOHy2xC4IW9UaAjokEALw_wcB

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
In motor racing generally that doesn’t happen because the SC comes up due to a crash / debris / danger on track, they need the field in a nice compact line so the marshalls etc have at least a 90secs of clear track after each pass of the SC, so in all Motorsport the field bunches up until the track is clear, then the SC pulls in and back to racing with no previous time gaps.

The controversy here is typically there is time for the lapped cars that went in the pits to unlap themselves to their correct track position - so normally you’d have an extra lap of the SC on a clear track so all those cars can bomb it round and join the end of the train, once done, race restarts. In this case there wasn’t enough laps for this to happen, so Masi, the race director took the decision to let just 4 cars, the cars between Max and Lewis to unlap themselves thus giving the race 1 final racing lap so it’s finished under racing conditions. Obviously this gifted Max the win in this case and I think is unprecedented to only allow select cars to unlap themselves.

Making up the rules as they went, no doubt under pressure from Liberty Media, who owns the sport and who lost $1.4bn last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Either one of them was fully deserving of the Championship but it will always be remembered as the Championship the ref influenced. Has the **** gone yet?

Nice photo though and Hamilton hid his disappointment well whilst showing class, it must have been hard to do this straight after the shambolic ending

Well done Max, deserving Champion. What a fantastic season

566919B2-62F7-4F78-A9DD-6F4C1A6074B9.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here