Exclusion of a fan following incident at Brighton v Crystal Palace 27/09/11 [Merged]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Only just read that IFO report. Pretty damning on the club and Hebberd in particular, can't believe thay made so many errors of judgment and natural justice.

Fair play to the guy for keeping all the records and not giving up, it must have been tempting but at least he's had a fair hearing now.

If the club was to respond to the findings as Lord B has suggested it should (and he's right), embarrassing as it is, it should be along the lines of in future such cases will be dealt with very differently.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
This is a very odd stance for the Club to adopt. When a business organisation (or a public organisation) participates in a scheme that has an Ombudsman making a judgement on the organisation's handling of an individual case, it is expected that the organisation will respond to the Ombudsman's public Report with a public statement.

Failure to do in this instance lets down the supporters of ALL clubs who are subject to the jurisdiction of the Ombudsman.

The Club is perfectly at liberty to have a general rule of "not commenting on individual cases". But it shouldn't apply that rule when the Ombudsman has spoken. It should issue a public statement in response to the Ombudsman's Report.

Agree with that.

The Club are saying that they won't comment on a specific case - but how can that be the case here, when the Ombudsman has become involved, and made their comments Public?

It would take two lines in the programme to put this to bed, and of course the guy sould be compensated for the games he has been unable to attend.

I really hope TLO gives Hebbard a Paxmanesque type grilling when he gets him back on the Albion Roar.

As much as ATC is a welcome aspect of this Board, there are too many instances of mundane replies which ignore the question which is compounded by telling the person concerned to contact the club when in many instances contacting the club is often ignored. Customer service is a key part of any business and BHA sometimes let's itself down in that regard and just because we are much larger now shouldn't make a difference.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I still can't believe how shabby the club, our club, has acted over this issue.

And the shabbiness continues. Methinks some at the club need to f***ing grow up and stop acting like babies.

TB

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The apparent sweeping under the carpet of this issue from the club is disapointing. Lord B nailed it.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
The sad thing about all this is the fans have no chance to voice there opinions with some informed debate .all the local media have shit themselves in case they upset the apple cart, all we have is NSC and long may it continue .

swervy_123

Dec 2, 2009
brighton
The sad thing about all this is the fans have no chance to voice there opinions with some informed debate .all the local media have shit themselves in case they upset the apple cart, all we have is NSC and long may it continue .

yes we do, maybe we could sing anice little ditty to rh on the lines of [ we all agree rh a w....r] should go down nicely we could even hand out song sheets

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I have seen this sort of thing before on a few occasions when fans are not segregated and the game gets a bit heated. Sometimes one party gets ejected from the ground. I bet they won't shake hands. The Police won't get involved. There was no official complaint.

It strikes me it is less than what happens on the pitch itself. Lucky there was not drink bottles to kick over or else there really would be trouble.

The Crawley incident indicates more argy-bargy goes on the field of play. Yellow card offence at worst.

paul381

Apr 22, 2008
great news news matey is back hopefully he will be fully compensated a few fans got some stick when this first came up on thread '1901 thoughts so far' got taken of by NSC (maybe should bounce that back to the top again) as i said on that thread the people in charge got to big for their own boots power went to their head banning good fans for no reason

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I really hope TLO gives Hebbard a Paxmanesque type grilling when he gets him back on the Albion Roar.

Jeremy Paxman or Jeremy Kyle?

Giving him a 'grilling' does seem to pre-suppose he would be obstinate and evasive. I will not ask him questions about this particular affair, but would be happy to raise the more general issue of exclusions and clarity of procedures - including right of reply, possible mediation and satisfactory outcomes, and so on. Personally, I'd rather wait for a club statement on this, and respond to that.

If it's justice that needs to be seen to be done, that's between the club and the fella in question. If it's revenge - or a voyeuristic showdown - you're after, I'm not your man, and The Albion Roar isn't the vehicle for it.

If it's justice that needs to be seen to be done, that's between the club and the fella in question.
With respect, it's not just between the Club and this one individual.

The IFO has made three recommendations. Two of them relate to the individual. The third is a general one:-

"The IFO recommends that in cases which are regarded as likely to be serious enough to warrant lengthy bans, statements from the respective parties should be obtained without delay so that properly informed decisions can be taken, taking into account both sides of any argument. Where judged necessary membership could be suspended pending final determination".

The Club should be telling ALL fans whether they accept this recommendation, or whether they intend to carry on taking decisions about exclusions without a fair investigation that gives the potentially banned supporter the opportunity to have their side of the argument heard.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I suppose our little show has come to something when other people are trying to set the agenda on what the content should be.

But it's got bigger than a little show, and all involved well played.

Seriously, well done, I love the podcast.

Gull's Eye has gone, and in the new age we have you guys as a potential mouthpiece when things aren't right.

Call it as it is, and if you think Hebberd is a wanker, then say it.

Don't lick his bum just to get him on the show and dodge a very serious issue.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I suppose our little show has come to something when other people are trying to set the agenda on what the content should be.

Don`t do yourself down......... its a huge show.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Amazing silence from the club on this - who will be next to be guilty in the BHAFC kangaroo court ?

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
You wouldn't think it to be a BHA exclusive area though - the club have made it abundantly clear that the 1901 club permits, nay encourages, the use of tickets for hospitality purposes and, as such, there is always the chance of opposing supporters being present there.

Again, in most stadia the hospitality areas are not exclusively for home fan use. A number of NSCers make use of away hospitality from time to time. At Liverpool, for example, it was made very clear that Albion fans could use the hospitality facilities. And, at the return leg at Selhurst Park, our very own [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] was in Palace hospitality for the evening.

Now, don't get me wrong - when you are in these situations you should act with respect and keep emotions in check to a degree - I'm not disputing any of that. I am merely saying that everyone who bought into the 1901 club should have been aware that opposing fans will be present from time to time.

Agree with most of this, but the few incidents in 1901 this season, mainly relate to lack of respect from opposition fans and a resistance to accept from some aLBION FANS. iN FACT THE LACK OF RSPECT FOR RULES AND REGULATIONS IS ENDLESS WITH SOME aLBION FANS.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
With respect, it's not just between the Club and this one individual.

The IFO has made three recommendations. Two of them relate to the individual. The third is a general one:-

"The IFO recommends that in cases which are regarded as likely to be serious enough to warrant lengthy bans, statements from the respective parties should be obtained without delay so that properly informed decisions can be taken, taking into account both sides of any argument. Where judged necessary membership could be suspended pending final determination".

The Club should be telling ALL fans whether they accept this recommendation, or whether they intend to carry on taking decisions about exclusions without a fair investigation that gives the potentially banned supporter the opportunity to have their side of the argument heard.

As I said before, though this seems to have been missed out - I'll wait for a club statement before working out what to do next.

And we don't have an available slot until 14 April. We'll see how it goes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports