Exclusion of a fan following incident at Brighton v Crystal Palace 27/09/11 [Merged]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
By all accounts, it seems as if very few of the brighton fans in the area felt the need to confront the palace fan. Regardless of the fall out of this incident, regardless of whether it's right or wrong, why are people acting as if it is so hard for a brighton fan not to confront a palace fan celebrating his team's victory in the 1901 area when so many other fans were apparently able to walk out without confronting him?

Acker that's not entirely true. When the palace fan jumped up and celebrated the 1st goal turning round giving it the biggun, there was plenty of people ready to confront him, but the complainant wasn't actually one of those. But I promise you between 30-50 people were shouting pointing and swearing at him hence the stewards came down to sort it out (not very well IMO). The complainent was extremely calm and took the exit route HE ALWAYS TAKES and in doing so told the palace fan he should show some respect. I don't see what the problem is with that.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
drew - you appear to have some agenda here.

I believe it's so this thread remains on the front page of the forum..........which is exactly where it should be until the club makes a statement.

Do carry on Drew...and Acker....with your nonsense......you are doing a grand job.....!

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
[MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] TBH, I can't be arsed to try and bandy words with you. You clearly have an agenda all of your own and have decided for yourself what I'm trying to say - and I've got better things to do with my life.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It's clear some people here are posting on the behalf of other people even it is flying in the face of facts. We can only guess why but it it patently clear now.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
It's clear some people here are posting on the behalf of other people even it is flying in the face of facts. We can only guess why but it it patently clear now.

Think your right US. The club might not issue a statement but it seems clear as daylight to me that Mr Hebbard is having his say on here through others.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He did just go to the lounge the same way as he had left his seat after every game he had been too! If an away fan is mouthing off (especially a palace fan) i know of no brighton fan that would accept it. All he asked him to do was to show some respect and then the palace fan became abusive. Why should any brighton fan have to take that and what sort of parent behaves in that manner in front of their child?

If your statement is true then why didn't everyone else in that section approach the fan at the end of the game to lecture him about respect or are you suggesting the complainant was the only true Brighton fan there? Out of interest, what did your witness statement say????

drew - you appear to have some agenda here.

Really? what agenda do you think that is, personally I would read it the other way. The agenda from a lot of the posters on here is to see the back of Hebberd. If I did have an agenda it is for the club and fans to move on from this incident, the fan to enjoy the rest of the season now he has his seat back and the club to have a more transparent procedure should something like this happen again.

[MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] TBH, I can't be arsed to try and bandy words with you. You clearly have an agenda all of your own and have decided for yourself what I'm trying to say - and I've got better things to do with my life.

Suit yourself. Nice to see you jumped on the 'agenda' bandwagon without really engaging any thougth.

And that is my last post on this subject.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Acker that's not entirely true. When the palace fan jumped up and celebrated the 1st goal turning round giving it the biggun, there was plenty of people ready to confront him, but the complainant wasn't actually one of those. But I promise you between 30-50 people were shouting pointing and swearing at him hence the stewards came down to sort it out (not very well IMO). The complainent was extremely calm and took the exit route HE ALWAYS TAKES and in doing so told the palace fan he should show some respect. I don't see what the problem is with that.

Totally this !

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
If your statement is true then why didn't everyone else in that section approach the fan at the end of the game to lecture him about respect or are you suggesting the complainant was the only true Brighton fan there? Out of interest, what did your witness statement say?

Drew Is it really that hard for you to understand that plenty of others did approach the palace fan but it was during the game when he 1st celebrated the opening Palace goal. Is it also that hard for you to understand that believe it or not after a 1-3 defeat to your local rivals the home stands were hardly even a 1/4 full. So maybe just maybe the others likely to have said something to this palace fan may actually of gone home?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I don't particularly have a problem with it. I just think this idea that it's impossible not to have a go at the gloating palace fan, or that it takes a rare sort of person to just walk out does a disservices to the many fans that did just walk out.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I don't particularly have a problem with it. I just think this idea that it's impossible not to have a go at the gloating palace fan, or that it takes a rare sort of person to just walk out does a disservices to the many fans that did just walk out.

Fair point. I didn't have a go at the palace fan myself but then again I never walked right past him as left slightly earlier and waited at the top of the steps, however I have no problem whatsoever with what the complainant said to the palace fan.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The most worrying aspect is the lack of an appeals process that doesn't resemble a Stalin era show trial. They also need to have a firm ruling on what happens if people are suspended with regards to payment.

Good on the guy for pursuing it though.

deano seagulls

May 11, 2008
If your statement is true then why didn't everyone else in that section approach the fan at the end of the game to lecture him about respect or are you suggesting the complainant was the only true Brighton fan there? Out of interest, what did your witness statement say????

I didn't give a witness statement just know how badly a Season Ticket holder has been treated!

I never said that the person was the only true Brighton fan out there but the way he has been treated is disgusting. How do you think he feels after following the club at the Goldstone Gillingham and Withdean to get to the new stadium and be treated like S**T?
He not allowed to ask a palace fan to "show some respect in the HOME end" but that Scum can come down here and do what they want? I don't think so!! Nothing can give that person back what he has lost this season!

Not even had a apology from the club! All this spells to me is corrupt Steward, copper and head of operations.

And as Hola Gus has said, 30+ people were shouting abuse at the Palace Fan! If the club had never allowed away fans in the home end because that IS what the West stand is and if the imcompetant steward had removed the family none of this would have happened. Football grounds have away areas for a reason. Let hope that Brighton realise that and keep them in the away area where they should be

Last edited:

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010

THIS.....and i know the poor guy at the centre of this he is a true bighton fan/gentleman and is really being mugged off!!!

Hoops Seagull

Nov 17, 2008
OMG can't believe what I am reading. Just read the Ombudsmen report and can't believe what has happened to this Brighton fan. I do hope that the club are going to publicly apologise to this fan for treating them so badly and financially compensate them. Does anyone know whether anything has been announced by the club?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
as of last weekend ,nothing,not even a offer of funds replaced as far as i know

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I like Insider's response on Ask The Club:-

'We do not comment on individual cases. If an individual has a complaint they must contact the club, directly, themselves.'

because, seriously, if this worked this particular fan wouldn't have had to go to the ombudsmen.

I like Insider's response on Ask The Club:-

'We do not comment on individual cases. If an individual has a complaint they must contact the club, directly, themselves.'

because, seriously, if this worked this particular fan wouldn't have had to go to the ombudsmen.

This is a very odd stance for the Club to adopt. When a business organisation (or a public organisation) participates in a scheme that has an Ombudsman making a judgement on the organisation's handling of an individual case, it is expected that the organisation will respond to the Ombudsman's public Report with a public statement.

Failure to do so in this instance lets down the supporters of ALL clubs who are subject to the jurisdiction of the Ombudsman.

The Club is perfectly at liberty to have a general rule of "not commenting on individual cases". But it shouldn't apply that rule when the Ombudsman has spoken. It should issue a public statement in response to the Ombudsman's Report.

After considering all the evidence the IFO will issue an adjudication in writing to the complainant and to the appropriate Football Authority. A summary of the adjudication will be placed on this site under ‘Adjudications’ and on the website of the relevant Authority. If the complaint is upheld, the IFO will make any recommendations deemed appropriate. If the Football Authority considers that it cannot – for whatever reason – implement any recommendation of the IFO, it will publish the reasoning behind such a decision and any proposed alternative resolution to the complaint. The IFO will produce an annual report to the Minister for Sport and the Football Authorities, reviewing all the complaints received, the action taken and any wider issues arising from the work of the IFO. This annual report will be publicly available.

We are entitled to be told whether the Club accepts the Report's conclusions and, if it doesn't, what is the reasoning behind that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports