Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Exclusion of a fan following incident at Brighton v Crystal Palace 27/09/11 [Merged]

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I know the off duty policeman and he was genuinely fearful for the mans safety on that night and for the bton fan to counter that he was innocent is bollocks.

Were you actually there at the incident......or just taking your mateys word for it.....?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Jezzer was you there? Well I was. If this blokes kid was so frightened, don't you think it's the responsibilty of him as a father not to be jumping and down celebrating a palace goal in the home end? For me that's a hell of a lot worse than this Brighton fan pointing and telling him to show some respect in the home end. Feelings mutual cos I hope to never see you sit on a jury either.

this

went to forest with him today,he has had nothing from
the club,and has 2 nationals interested,so watch this space..............

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't think Hebberd should be sacked, but it's quite clear that he needs to go on some sort of customer service training, after all this is no the first time this sort of thing has happened with him.

Without reference to this incident I've got a lot of time for Richard and in terms of customer service he's gone the extra mile to help out certain supporters clubs.

With reference to incident, just strengthens my view that I'll never watch football in such an environment as the 1901. You can't tolerate anything in there and if some people view it as somewhere I can go as a passionate football fan with just better food and seats, they have got the wrong idea.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I read the report and how nothing was recorded on CCTV beggars belief in this day and age with a state of the art new stadium.

I personally think the club have got it wrong so a short press release with an explanation and apology would put this to bed very easily.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Without reference to this incident I've got a lot of time for Richard and in terms of customer service he's gone the extra mile to help out certain supporters clubs.

With reference to incident, just strengthens my view that I'll never watch football in such an environment as the 1901. You can't tolerate anything in there and if some people view it as somewhere I can go as a passionate football fan with just better food and seats, they have got the wrong idea.

Thats because you are mixing up 1901 with corporate hospitality - I would say that 80-90% of 1901 are really passionate true fans who bought 1901 to guarantee they would get season tickets and tickets to all the matches. In fact this incident shows that 1901 members were and are extremely upset at having Palace fans amongst them.

Its very much the same people going 1901 each week and you don't get too many different firms each week there

In fact many 1901 ers are old North stand supporters from years ago and several "faces" from the past.

The only difference is that as you sit very close to away directors etc you are not supposed to go over the top with your support and cause offence but everybody cheers madly when we score and you never really see people leaving early when we are losing.

I would say that the whole of football now is sterile as opposed to 7 years ago

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There is nothing sterile about the Amex WSU experience... or today's experience at the City Ground... I loved both.

In that awful expression - THIS

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He was guilty of nothing! He walked the way he always walked when the game had finished to go back to his lounge.

You certainly know how to rewrite history. He didn't need to say anything to the Palace fan. Why didn't he just go to the lounge.

Would you consider banning someone and accusing them of assaulting 2 people as nothing!! How would you feel if the same happens to you next weekend?

Mr Hebbard will listen when he wants to and do what he wants to. I have had dealings with him so I know

What are you babbling on about. Your making things up again.

It won't happen to me I can assure you. As pissed off as I get if we lose, unlike this guy, I don't vent my frustration on others.

that the palace fan shouldnt be in the home end - agreed

that the ban received by the bton fan was excessive - agreed

the rest of it is coffee house crap!

I know the off duty policeman and he was genuinely fearful for the mans safety on that night and for the bton fan to counter that he was innocent is bollocks.

The kid was frightened for his dad too for christs sake, what is the guy supposed to do, let it escalate until the guys in west stand lower? and peoples interpretation of an official document beggars belief on here, if you think this report says this guy is a poor downtrodden innocent then i`d hate to get any of you in a jury!

Apparently, according to a lot of posters, your friend is a liar and some even think he is in a conspiracy with Hebberd. You are unlikely to convince them otherwise. They have their entrenched views and will not rest until Hebberd has been hung drawn and quartered.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thats because you are mixing up 1901 with corporate hospitality - I would say that 80-90% of 1901 are really passionate true fans who bought 1901 to guarantee they would get season tickets and tickets to all the matches. In fact this incident shows that 1901 members were and are extremely upset at having Palace fans amongst them.

Its very much the same people going 1901 each week and you don't get too many different firms each week there

In fact many 1901 ers are old North stand supporters from years ago and several "faces" from the past.

The only difference is that as you sit very close to away directors etc you are not supposed to go over the top with your support and cause offence but everybody cheers madly when we score and you never really see people leaving early when we are losing.

I would say that the whole of football now is sterile as opposed to 7 years ago

With all due respect, I've got a season ticket and am almost guarenteed tickets for all matches. I don't to sit alongside away fans.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
With all due respect, I've got a season ticket and am almost guarenteed tickets for all matches. I don't to sit alongside away fans.

But the point is that there are a lot of 1901 members who joined 1901 and do not use it for corporate business but just as loyal fans. Corporate areas in many sports arena normally tend to be fairly neutral owned seats or large company owned boxes and seating that get filled by people there for a freebie or day out and often can be away supporters who are friends of the owners of that area.

1901 was set up to be a sort of halfway house between the two, some corporate, some loyal local business and for supporters who want to / don't mind paying a premium for better seats and facilities. ~Whats happened is that in the rush to be part of the new ground a lot of supporters who would normally get standard season tickets upgraded and got 1901 which other supporters could not afford so now 1901 is pretty much real supporters apart from companies who bought extra seats to take clients as they are rightly allowed to do. As these can be freely transferred to anyone including away fans you now have problems because some loyal brighton fans do not understand that these away fans (although they are sometimes possibly over celebrating) are allowed to be there!

For example I'm pretty sure Amex get free tickets to give to clients as part of their sponsorship and they must surely be in 1901 - I bet they get handed to anyone and that will include Palace fans and others - its a potential problem as some people do not understand that football is no longer a place when you can abuse someone for supporting a different team whether you are in a stand full of your own fans or in a shared area..

Its the idiots that overstep the mark that are to blame, You can't go to matches and see fans attacking each other but I also don't want to lose the banter and atmosphere. The club are trying to make the Amex a place where ANYONE can go and watch football safely and without fear or abuse. That means a no tolerance policy wherever you sit and the only difference is the quality of your seat and food and in 1901 you are expected to show a bit of respect for the away fans that might be near you.

But for you to think that our 1901 is made up of plastics is just wrong - they are far more likely to have bought standard season tickets elsewhere in the ground

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But the point is that there are a lot of 1901 members who joined 1901 and do not use it for corporate business but just as loyal fans. Corporate areas in many sports arena normally tend to be fairly neutral owned seats or large company owned boxes and seating that get filled by people there for a freebie or day out and often can be away supporters who are friends of the owners of that area.

1901 was set up to be a sort of halfway house between the two, some corporate, some loyal local business and for supporters who want to / don't mind paying a premium for better seats and facilities. ~Whats happened is that in the rush to be part of the new ground a lot of supporters who would normally get standard season tickets upgraded and got 1901 which other supporters could not afford so now 1901 is pretty much real supporters apart from companies who bought extra seats to take clients as they are rightly allowed to do. As these can be freely transferred to anyone including away fans you now have problems because some loyal brighton fans do not understand that these away fans (although they are sometimes possibly over celebrating) are allowed to be there!

For example I'm pretty sure Amex get free tickets to give to clients as part of their sponsorship and they must surely be in 1901 - I bet they get handed to anyone and that will include Palace fans and others - its a potential problem as some people do not understand that football is no longer a place when you can abuse someone for supporting a different team whether you are in a stand full of your own fans or in a shared area..

Its the idiots that overstep the mark that are to blame, You can't go to matches and see fans attacking each other but I also don't want to lose the banter and atmosphere. The club are trying to make the Amex a place where ANYONE can go and watch football safely and without fear or abuse. That means a no tolerance policy wherever you sit and the only difference is the quality of your seat and food and in 1901 you are expected to show a bit of respect for the away fans that might be near you.

But for you to think that our 1901 is made up of plastics is just wrong - they are far more likely to have bought standard season tickets elsewhere in the ground

Pretty good summation of the situation. Boils down to personal behaviour and self control. Away fans are entitled to jump up and celebrate a goal when in 1901 just as Albion fans would probably do the same if the roles were reversed. Obviously it shouldn't be overly excessive but there is still no excuse for the reaction of some of the Albion fans, firstly the two that got abusive to the Palace fan and then the complainant should've just have walked straight past and gone to the lounge.

deano seagulls

May 11, 2008
He did just go to the lounge the same way as he had left his seat after every game he had been too! If an away fan is mouthing off (especially a palace fan) i know of no brighton fan that would accept it. All he asked him to do was to show some respect and then the palace fan became abusive. Why should any brighton fan have to take that and what sort of parent behaves in that manner in front of their child?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
By all accounts, it seems as if very few of the brighton fans in the area felt the need to confront the palace fan. Regardless of the fall out of this incident, regardless of whether it's right or wrong, why are people acting as if it is so hard for a brighton fan not to confront a palace fan celebrating his team's victory in the 1901 area when so many other fans were apparently able to walk out without confronting him?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I completely understand someone saying "I couldn't do it", I don't understand "No one could do it" or "I can't imagine anyone ignoring it" when there is an example of the tens or even hundreds of people who managed to walk out without confronting him.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Sadly I think it's inevitable that such incidents will continue to happen. Until such a time as they separate out 1901 home support from corporate hospitality areas, which will probably involve unpopular moving of fans when 1901 memberships come up for renewal [ don't know if this is possible under terms of the contract ], then 1901s will continue to be put into situations where they have to avoid confrontation with out of order away fans or risk a ban etc.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here