Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ex-Liverpool player Howard Gayle turns down MBE

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Are you suggesting that non-white Britons should keep their heads down, question nothing and be thankful for what they've got?

No but nice try.

I just think that if you have principles then all well and good, but don't be a bloody hypocrite. For example I think that countries like Saudi Arabia are appalling so I wouldn't go and earn a load of money there but this bloke went to play in the MLS. Now America were far worse than us when it came to slavery.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Odd decision for me. If the Queen offers an award it's pretty rude to decline. And what point is he making? Britain got rid of slavery a lot quicker than most nations. Certainly our current Queen had nothing to do with it!

Good point, who actually is jumping on the bandwagon here? Slavery is alive and kicking in our world today, promulgated by Africans, Europeans, Arabs, Indians, South Americans, North Americans etc. In the 19th century much against the views of the popular world this country was the first to outlaw in law such activity. Turning down an honour because of what happened two hundred years ago and not wanting to be honoured for work that he has done in combating this insidious activity of a certain few does the cause of today no good. Do we expect the Germans to continuously apologise for two world wars, do we not engage because of the activities of their forefathers.

Cheap gesture Howard you do your cause no good, sorry mate.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Ooh, person from Liverpool playing the 'me and my family are victims' card, how very novel!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm amazed this thread has gone on so long without featuring the words 'calm down'. :down:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In the book about John Barnes' time at Liverpool by Dave Hill there is a section on how Gayle was treated and that he was virtually airbrushed out of the club's history. He may have grounds for some skepticism about the motivation and timing of this.

With a grand total of four appearances in his career for Liverpool, it wouldn't need much air-brushing!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
No but nice try.

I just think that if you have principles then all well and good, but don't be a bloody hypocrite. For example I think that countries like Saudi Arabia are appalling so I wouldn't go and earn a load of money there but this bloke went to play in the MLS. Now America were far worse than us when it came to slavery.

I thought everybody had agreed that we'd moved on. The USA aren't enslaving his relatives now. The issue is the title that he's refused.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've no problem with him turning it down on principle, although I can't say it his reason makes sense to me. Why would his ancestors be turning in their graves? If they were going to do that, wouldn't they have been turning when he ancestors moved to Britain for work? Haven't we moved on somewhat from the mistakes of a few hundred years ago? Or is he saying that no black person should ever accept anything from Britain (or anywhere else in Europe etc)?
Nice summary of my own view. Fine to have the principles not to accept the award, but slavery? Really? There are far more relevant reasons for turning these sort of awards down IMO.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Right, so only white people can be involved in politics?

By the way, I think you can safely omit the word claim in your post.

No politics shouldn't be whites only , but blacks can't keep claiming to be " just as British as you are" on one hand whilst on the other hand claiming some sort of different status and pursuing an agenda against the country they claim equal status/nationality of , as for omitting the word "claim" , do you know gayle's ancestry ?? Is he west Indian ? African ? I doubt you know so I also doubt you can "safely" omit the word claim.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No politics shouldn't be whites only , but blacks can't keep claiming to be " just as British as you are" on one hand whilst on the other hand claiming some sort of different status and pursuing an agenda against the country they claim equal status/nationality of , as for omitting the word "claim" , do you know gayle's ancestry ?? Is he west Indian ? African ? I doubt you know so I also doubt you can "safely" omit the word claim.

If you go back along the "chains" , one finds that all black West Indians are of African ancestry.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
If anything needs rebadging, it's these awards.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No politics shouldn't be whites only , but blacks can't keep claiming to be " just as British as you are" on one hand whilst on the other hand claiming some sort of different status and pursuing an agenda against the country they claim equal status/nationality of
You're lumping everyone into one group, which is shameful. You're saying that just because some black people have a problem with the history of Britain, no other black people can say they're as British as you.

Seriously, how can you be so stupid to think "but blacks can't keep claiming" as if the millions of them only have one voice.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you go back along the "chains" , one finds that all black West Indians are of African ancestry.
You'll find that every human on earth are of African ancestry.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Still a lot of proponents of the 'Out of Asia, theory.
There are still a lot of people that believe god created Adam and Eve, and early humans mostly died when god flooded the world and Noah built an ark.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here