Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever wondered what Twitter looked like in the 1950s?

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
There's mileage in a fifties Twitter feed. Instead of Stephen fry boring people senseless we could have Noel coward at least being funny, the FA congratulating england on adventurous new forays into international football against various dodgy foreigners and returning home unscathed, and labour mp's sneering online at miners and dockers for displaying Union jacks for the coronation.

...and no World Cup winners medal insight for years.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
The day we start using your knowledge as a barometer on anything is the day we all give up :lolol:
the day i class you as anything more than the sort of euro 96 arriviste i despise is the day youve arrived mate.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
That tweet is harmless and is playing on the women being heroes going back to being normal family members.
Like how super-heroes have their secret identities as regular people.

The usual suspects jump onto any tweet/comment made by anybody and look for any way in which it can be interpreted as sexist/racist/bigoted to drum up outrage to make themselves be seen as 'such a good person' when they're actually just being pathetic. No wonder comedians are refusing to do gigs at universities where this 'attack attack attack, everything is offensive therefore shouldn't exist' thinking is so prevalent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...74/stephen-merchant-interview-mentalists.html
http://reason.com/blog/2014/12/01/chris-rock-stopped-performing-for-studen
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...olitical-correctness-yada-yada-yada-colleges/

etc.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
bigtweettweetcover2.jpg

Tweet in the 1950's

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why do you care anyway? Another chance to take a swipe at England perhaps?

Come on, I don't need an excuse to take a swipe at England!

No, it's belittling. That's why.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the day i class you as anything more than the sort of euro 96 arriviste i despise is the day youve arrived mate.

What on earth does this mean?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Surprised no one has brushed it aside as banter yet.

Bit like you did on the Thatcher / Bellotti thread where you turned that into 'banter'.
You also bleated on about offence -by -proxy, which is exactly what this is about. You're not really offended you just want a little more attention.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
It's not "offence on others behalf" , it acknowledging why someone might take offence. Two totally different things.
A lazy dismissal too often trotted out "ooh, why so offended on someone else's behalf". It's called empathy and the world could do with a lot more of it.

Which is rich coming from you , who hoped someone died a long , agonising death.
Check your standards because they seemed to have doubled.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
It was ill thought out and definitely sexist, to argue otherwise is ridiculous. Whether you care or not is another matter.

Sexist in terms of a rabid and insane leftwing dichotomy that states women should be referred to in any positive terms other than mothers etc, or appearance. Developing this feverish leftwing fetish will no doubt hook in the ill informed but overly pious to preach regularly on the slightest trigger.

Its like beauty contests. Men like ogling women, women like to display. This is perverted into the assumption that that is all men see in women(its infact a sexist misandrious view of men), but when you are in the grip of an ideology all sense of scale, context and detail go out the window.

Another point about the text is who really cares enough about it?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Which is rich coming from you , who hoped someone died a long , agonising death.
Check your standards because they seemed to have doubled.

That was Thatcher and it was me empathising with the millions of people she ****ed over. So, on reflection, I'm happy with my standards thank you so much. Taking offence at my swipe on Thatcher. What has it got to do with you? Offended on someone else's behalf perhaps? Hmm, it would seem so. You still want that discussion about double standards? Nope, didn't think so!!!

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Oh ffs we did this about 2 pages ago. Do keep up.

Having re-read this entire thread no one had posted what I had posted out the FA being the opposite of sexist by investing time and resources in the women's game so that we could produce a team to beat the world's No. 1-ranked team.

What's with the "FFS" and the "Do keep up" HT?? I don't know you but you seem rather condescending and get very disappointed if you perceive people don't agree with everything you say.

I can see why some people might think the FA tweet might be sexist and patronising, so there's no right and wrong here - simply opinions. I believe what is more significant than a tweet posted by an FA minion is that the English FA have a produced a women's team good enough to get bronze at the World Cup.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bit like you did on the Thatcher / Bellotti thread where you turned that into 'banter'.

I was being sarcastic. If memory serves me correctly I suggested I could sweep any crass comments under the carpet by claiming it was banter.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having re-read this entire thread no one had posted what I had posted out the FA being the opposite of sexist by investing time and resources in the women's game so that we could produce a team to beat the world's No. 1-ranked team.

What's with the "FFS" and the "Do keep up" HT?? I don't know you but you seem rather condescending and get very disappointed if you perceive people don't agree with everything you say.

I can see why some people might think the FA tweet might be sexist and patronising, so there's no right and wrong here - simply opinions. I believe what is more significant than a tweet posted by an FA minion is that the English FA have a produced a women's team good enough to get bronze at the World Cup.

Your opening line was about outrage. This is what I was referring to. And apologies for being condescending.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Your opening line was about outrage. This is what I was referring to. And apologies for being condescending.

Fair enough. I will concede that the FA tweet was ham-fisted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here