Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever wondered what Twitter looked like in the 1950s?

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
There was absolutely nothing sexist about that comment whatsoever, just something else for the PC brigade to jump all over. If the same thing had been said about the men, nobody would have even noticed.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
They are certainly not heroes though. A term used too often these days.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Twitter:

mountain-molehill.gif

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Fair point but wouldn't happen though!

Happens most years in the FA cup when team of semi-pros plays one of the big teams. Quotes such as 'he'll be back delivering the mail on Monday morning' having just scored against Man Utd, or something like that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Happens most years in the FA cup when team of semi-pros plays one of the big teams. Quotes such as 'he'll be back delivering the mail on Monday morning' having just scored against Man Utd, or something like that.

You mean the bloke gets defined by his occupation?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It was ill thought out and definitely sexist, to argue otherwise is ridiculous. Whether you care or not is another matter.

As an aside I have 2 mates that work for the FA at Wembley both my sort of age. Guy and a girl (they are married.) Obviously they love their jobs but they paint a picture of lions led by donkeys and a massively sexist culture that is very rarely challenged by top brass. I suspect that surprises no one.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think you have to try very hard to interpret this as sexist. It's saying that they're returning to be normal family members, it's not saying that is all they are in life. It's more a reflection on the fact that a lot of them are amateurs and have a life outside of football.

If he'd written that the men's team had returned to become fathers, brothers etc. then there would not be any uproar. I actually thought it was quite an endearing tweet describing their return to a more normal, less public life.

The very fact that you think the FA would ever tweet that the men are going back to being husbands and brothers etc. shows that it is a patronizing sexist tweet.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
About as patronising and sexist as it gets.

People a missing it because it's so subtle. Just like racism, it's no longer acceptable to be overtly sexist in this day and age but you can tell where it exists by interpreting underlying tone and meaning. And where it exists it should be challenged, no matter how subtle.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The very fact that you think the FA would ever tweet that the men are going back to being husbands and brothers etc. shows that it is a patronizing sexist tweet.

I just read it as amateurs rather than professionals. As female, I didn't find it patronising, but then maybe I'm too conditioned.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Quite, so why didn't the FA Tweet the same about the England women's careers?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surprised no one has brushed it aside as banter yet.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It must be hard work living life in a state of perpetual offence on other people's behalf.

It's not "offence on others behalf" , it acknowledging why someone might take offence. Two totally different things.
A lazy dismissal too often trotted out "ooh, why so offended on someone else's behalf". It's called empathy and the world could do with a lot more of it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's not "offence on others behalf" , it acknowledging why someone might take offence. Two totally different things.
A lazy dismissal too often trotted out "ooh, why so offended on someone else's behalf". It's called empathy and the world could do with a lot more of it.
Have 10 nice-guy points.

Most women wouldn't give a shit by the way.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Have 10 nice-guy points.

Most women wouldn't give a shit by the way.

I'm far from a nice guy. I'm mostly a bit of a ****. However, I do recognise ill thought out, patronising drivel. Like your post.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm far from a nice guy. I'm mostly a bit of a ****. However, I do recognise ill thought out, patronising drivel. Like your post.
From a 'nice guy' like you, that is a compliment.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I just read it as amateurs rather than professionals. As female, I didn't find it patronising, but then maybe I'm too conditioned.

But they're not amateurs. The FA of all institutions should know this as they are on a 25k p.a retainer from............ the FA. Most of them earn 30k+ in the Women's Superleague as well, which is currently mid-season so they'll be playing for their clubs again this weekend. Which all makes the tweet pretty baffling if you ask me. Unconsciously sexist.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its the last bit that winds me up, heroes FFS, I know the tweet was yesterday but when we are remembering those poor souls who had their lives destroyed 10 years ago the word heroes for a bunch of women who did ok playing football leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here