Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever wondered what Twitter looked like in the 1950s?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
really ? they might as well be, i couldnt name a single one , not even the one who put in the own goal, despite the media trying to pretend otherwise most blokes couldnt give a **** about womens football, note i said blokes, as in lads, geezers, not the metrosexual,cargo trouser wearing types that come on here droning on about getting a ''footy'' fix at the albion.

It has an appeal in the same way as non-league football does. It's nice to see competitive football not corrupted by ludicrous sums of money with a genuine sense of fair play. You'd have to be criminally insane to compare it to top level men's football.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But they're not amateurs. The FA of all institutions should know this as they are on a 25k p.a retainer from............ the FA. Most of them earn 30k+ in the Women's Superleague as well, which is currently mid-season so they'll be playing for their clubs again this weekend. Which all makes the tweet pretty baffling if you ask me. Unconsciously sexist.

Oh well. There are far more important things to worry about.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
It has an appeal in the same way as non-league football does. It's nice to see competitive football not corrupted by ludicrous sums of money with a genuine sense of fair play. You'd have to be criminally insane to compare it to top level men's football.
Which is probably why the FA put out the press release they did.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Which is probably why the FA put out the press release they did.

Yeah, I actually get where you are coming from.

However, the social media team at the FA (which I would imagine would be a fairly young one) should have realised what that message looked like. When you are using twitter, you have to bear in mind you are potentially talk to the whole world and not just your people. Any two bob 20k a year social media professional should know that and have been able to spot how that tweet could be interpreted, it's basic stuff.

Clearly they weren't intentionally trying to be sexist but in some ways I think that makes it worse.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
really ? they might as well be, i couldnt name a single one , not even the one who put in the own goal, despite the media trying to pretend otherwise most blokes couldnt give a **** about womens football, note i said blokes, as in lads, geezers, not the metrosexual,cargo trouser wearing types that come on here droning on about getting a ''footy'' fix at the albion.

Ahh the blokes, lads and geezers whose opinions are worth more than anyone else's (Obviously if they live in London then their opinions are even more valid.)

I don't give a shit what your knuckle dragging peers think about women's football i quite enjoyed this world cup and believe it or not for most men it only take s couple of games to learn their names. You'll notice I said men not the halfwitted, fake designer gear wearing morons who refuse to watch 'birds' play football.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Is anyone else finding this daily diet of "faux outrage" incredibly boring?

The FA have clearly shown themselves to be the very OPPOSITE of sexist by getting serious about women's football to the extent that we have now produced a team capable of beating the World's No. 1-ranked team.

These days there's too much emphasis on words, not enough emphasis on deeds.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
This 'people always taking offence' is the new 'pc brigade' for some isn't it.
Patronising tweet. Amazed anyone could say it isn't.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Ahh the blokes, lads and geezers whose opinions are worth more than anyone else's (Obviously if they live in London then their opinions are even more valid.)

I don't give a shit what your knuckle dragging peers think about women's football i quite enjoyed this world cup and believe it or not for most men it only take s couple of games to learn their names. You'll notice I said men not the halfwitted, fake designer gear wearing morons who refuse to watch 'birds' play football.
I havent ''refused'' to watch it, im just not interested,the same as most blokes, and i dont wear fake designer gear either, i'd leave that to poorly paid teachers in geelong.

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Yeah, I actually get where you are coming from.

However, the social media team at the FA (which I would imagine would be a fairly young one) should have realised what that message looked like. When you are using twitter, you have to bear in mind you are potentially talk to the whole world and not just your people. Any two bob 20k a year social media professional should know that and have been able to spot how that tweet could be interpreted, it's basic stuff.

Clearly they weren't intentionally trying to be sexist but in some ways I think that makes it worse.

Exactly. And it took half the day of people telling them it was very unprofessional to actually take it down. The amount of people that can't see the problem with the release only shows the shit the women have to put up with. Most of them are professional sportswomen who have unsurpassed what anyone expected of them, the tweet practically tells them to "now put yer knickers on and go and make me a cup of tea".

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Exactly. And it took half the day of people telling them it was very unprofessional to actually take it down. The amount of people that can't see the problem with the release only shows the shit the women have to put up with. Most of them are professional sportswomen who have unsurpassed what anyone expected of them, the tweet practically tells them to "now put yer knickers on and go and make me a cup of tea".
i think you probably mean surpassed .

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
This 'people always taking offence' is the new 'pc brigade' for some isn't it.
Patronising tweet. Amazed anyone could say it isn't.
if they cant stand the heat, get BACK in the kitchen.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I havent ''refused'' to watch it, im just not interested,the same as most blokes, and i dont wear fake designer gear either, i'd leave that to poorly paid teachers in geelong.

Nothing worse than a working class snob. Your family struggling back in London must hang out for your visits.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Nothing worse than a working class snob. Your family struggling back in London must hang out for your visits.
if you cant take it, dont dish it out, with your quotes about fake designer gear , you reveal yourself as a lower middle class snob :thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Plus side is , high level Women's football is being talked about.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
really ? they might as well be, i couldnt name a single one

The day we start using your knowledge as a barometer on anything is the day we all give up :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is anyone else finding this daily diet of "faux outrage" incredibly boring?

The FA have clearly shown themselves to be the very OPPOSITE of sexist by getting serious about women's football to the extent that we have now produced a team capable of beating the World's No. 1-ranked team.

These days there's too much emphasis on words, not enough emphasis on deeds.

Oh ffs we did this about 2 pages ago. Do keep up.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
There's mileage in a fifties Twitter feed. Instead of Stephen fry boring people senseless we could have Noel coward at least being funny, the FA congratulating england on adventurous new forays into international football against various dodgy foreigners and returning home unscathed, and labour mp's sneering online at miners and dockers for displaying Union jacks for the coronation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here