Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever met someone famous who turned out to be a total arse?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Jimmy Tarbuck.

I spent a day caddying at a golf club when I was a kid and had the misfortune to bump into the gap toothed cretin, who came across as a complete and utter cock. He was holding court with the other players during lunch, fuelled by alcohol he was cracking jokes for benefit of all around, I was just hanging around waiting for play to resume. I was a bit of a scruffy kid, probably not dressed suitably for a golf course, and after a while it seemed obvious to me that I was the butt of some of his jokes. I felt about two inches tall and had I not been in need of the money, not having been paid for my morning's efforts, I would have gone home. The only good thing was that the bloke I caddied for was an absolute gent and paid me pretty well, though the bloke he played against got a bit shirty when I couldn't tell him where his ball had ended up, the whole experience did put me off golf somewhat...and that scouse twat!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I was taking some photo's in a nightclub in Ibiza Town in 1999, when a voice beside me said "if you take another picture of me i'll stick that camera up your arse". When i turned around it was Frank Bruno. I smiled at him, (or should i say gurned at him:D ) and tried to explain that i was taking a picture of my wife. He told me to f*** off and call me a **** before storming off. Tbh i crapped myself he was f***ing huge.

It was Frank Bruno, if you'd have blown in his direction he'd have fallen down.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Ted Heath. Would never have got near as far in politics in today's media age. Miserable and up himself.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't believe nobody on here can confirm my suspicions about Timmy Mallett yet.

(no, not THOSE suspicions)

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Pipkin, when I met Frank Bruno, albeit extremely briefly, he was a total gent. Remember this is a bloke who has suffered mental health probs and may or may not have had a couple of cold drinks if you met him in a night club. I think sometimes a bit of context is required to understand why these people may not always react impeccably. If a total stranger bothered you when you were trying to mind your own business, you may well tell them to eff off, not least because you may assume they were the bus nutter, but you see what I mean...

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Alonso and Ralph Schumacher are both moody, grumpy and bolshy mares whenever I've had the misfortune to be anywhere near them. I know they do alot of sponsor PR and that sort of thing where they are surrounded by boorish petrol heads but it's no excuse for their attitude.

On the other hand, Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman, Jenson Button and pretty much every old school bike star (e.g. Mick Doohan, Wayne Gardner) have all been very friendly and up for a chat.

The other really nice bloke was John Surtees. A true gent.

I think it must be that bikers are generally better people than car drivers!

I've met and been at close quarters with these fellas and others doing photos at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

D

Deleted User X18H

I met Matt King (Peep Show's Super Hans) in the Basketmaker's Arms once and thought a photo posed with him would make a fantastic facebook profile pic so after a little Dutch courage went over and asked if he'd be so kind as to oblige.

He told me he had just come out for a quiet drink and didn't really want any fuss but if I came back in a bit after he'd finished his pint he'd see what he could do. So I went back to my mates and about 45 minutes later tried again, only to get the exact same response.

Sensing this was obviously just an excuse and I was never likely to get my photo I decided if I couldn't pose with him I would at least sneak a photo of him drinking in the pub as near enough proof I'd met him. I casually stood at the bar pretending I was sending a text, aiming the camera for the best shot but of course I'd forgotten to turn the shutter sound off and on taking the sneaky pic it was very obvious what I'd done.

He leapt to his feet and asked me in no uncertain times what did I think I was doing. I explained I was only after a photo as I was a big fan and he DEMANDED to see my phone so he could delete the not so stealthily taken photo there and then.

I can appreciate it must be frustrating to have people bother you all the time when you just want a quiet catch up with your mates, but on this occasion I really was the only person to actually approach the guy (perhaps everyone else already knew better) and his "come back in a bit" spiel gave me hope that I was going to get my wish. If he'd just said "nah mate, not gonna happen" I'd have slumped off and forgotten about it. If he'd have just let me take a photo he'd have got it out of the way in seconds and not been bothered again.

It was his aggressive stance when I took the cheeky photo that really made me think "wow, this guy is a dick" but in truth I can't help but feel I was probably a bit annoying in all honesty.

I am with Matt on this. He lives near me or his partner does and is perfectly amiable to everyone around here. I imagine he just didn't like the look of you. It is an rather unecessary invasion of privacy.

D

Deleted User X18H

Ray Brooks sadly not too bad and eventually gave in to my pleadings for just one 'as if by magic the shop keeper appeared' wouldn't do any Robbie Box though. Seargent Yorkes 2002.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
Pipkin, when I met Frank Bruno, albeit extremely briefly, he was a total gent. Remember this is a bloke who has suffered mental health probs and may or may not have had a couple of cold drinks if you met him in a night club. I think sometimes a bit of context is required to understand why these people may not always react impeccably. If a total stranger bothered you when you were trying to mind your own business, you may well tell them to eff off, not least because you may assume they were the bus nutter, but you see what I mean...

I do understand about his mental state at the time,i'm just saying it as it was. I was not taking pictures of him, i didn't know he was even in the club.He was being a dick to everyone.If he wanted to keep a low profile,a nightclub in Ibiza with 10000 brits wasn't the best place to be.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I seem to recall my brother met Steve Coogan in a pub in Brighton some years ago. As he tells the story, Coogan turned around to him and his mate and said "Oh f*** off". Although to be fair, I think they had mistakenly thought it would be a hilarious idea to tap him on the shoulder first and give it a massive, Partridge-style "Ah-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!".

So they probably deserved it to be honest.

In my addled youth I spent many Friday nights in the Zap Club at the marvellous Red / Due South nights. On one particular night none other than CHESNEY Hawkes was in there with a gang of hangers on being a dick and giving it large. It did not improve his mood to then have me, my brother and our GFs follow him around whistling 'I am the one and only' making very unkind remarks about his hair and telling everyone else in the club that Chesney Hawkes was in there and he was a massive C U Next Tuesday.

Oh my daze.....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think sometimes a bit of context is required to understand why these people may not always react impeccably. If a total stranger bothered you when you were trying to mind your own business, you may well tell them to eff off, not least because you may assume they were the bus nutter, but you see what I mean...

I didn't mean to suggest that these people are total arses all the time (some may well be, to be fair), merely that on the briefest moment in the space-time continuum where your galactic paths crossed, they acted like a twunt.

Sep 20, 2005
Patrick Moore, on several occasions. Each time, racist jokes were the order of the day within two minutes.

National treasure, my arse.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
I worked with Wayne Hemmingway last year - he was exactly like you imagine him to be.......! Agree with the post about John Surtees, absolute gent. Randomly, one of the nicest blokes iv ever met is Mr Frankie Fraser! Met him on a number of occasions & he is a proper old-school gentleman (you can still tell he was bloody nasty in his time though, even though he's only about 5ft 4!!)

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
I have met Julian Barratt (Howard Moon) twice. Both times he was so drunk he had to be carried under his arms by other people. True story. Rich Fulcher (Bob Fossil) was by far the friendliest and most personal of the Boosh crowd and took his time out to chat, no ego at all, and genuinely a hilarious bloke. Noel was always surrounded by girls, as expected.

i thought this was about famous people. These I have never heard of!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I worked with Wayne Hemmingway last year - he was exactly like you imagine him to be.......! Agree with the post about John Surtees, absolute gent. Randomly, one of the nicest blokes iv ever met is Mr Frankie Fraser! Met him on a number of occasions & he is a proper old-school gentleman (you can still tell he was bloody nasty in his time though, even though he's only about 5ft 4!!)

Then you may be amused to know his real name is Wayne Winder and he changed it by deed poll ( he was a client many years ago)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here