Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever met someone famous who turned out to be a total arse?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
No surprise to anyone I'm sure but I had the misfortune to have dealt with Andy Gray a few years ago. A nasty bully of a man.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Alex Ferguson refused to sign an autograph for me once as he said 'everyone would want one'. Miserable bastard.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
My mate met Mick Foley (Mankind/Cactus Jack, VERY famous WWF wrestler) in an airport. Mate asked for autograph and said that it was given very ungraciously, and that Mick came across as a moody, arrogant and up-his-own-arse.

I met Mick Foley a few years ago, he was being paid a lot of money to appear on a pro wrestling show over here. I was working front of house on it looking after some VIP guests/contest winners. After the show he had to do a meet and greet with some fans, he didn't want to be there but I'll give him his due he turned it on for the fans but couldn't be arsed the rest of the time and came across to most of us working on the show exactly as your mate described. Shame really as I was a huge fan of his, had followed his wrestling career for years and had read most of his books. He was pretty much the polar opposite of what I was expecting. Mardy arsed twat.

I also got to meet Jimmy "Mouth of the South" Hart at another show I was working the same gig on, he was a f***ing brilliant bloke, loads of time for everyone and a good laugh.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Jimmy Savile (as mentioned), Ruby Wax was a total prima donna and Jim Bowen was a nasty, racist piece of work.
Biggest disappointment of all was Henry Blofeld who was a lecherous drunk.

On the other hand, most celebrities I've met have been pretty pleasant down-to-earth people. I was surprised by Jonathan Ross who was a really nice bloke and Jamie Theakston who's an absolute sports nut and a real Albion/Sussex fan.

Biggest joy was discovering that Barry John, my boyhood hero, was a really, really nice bloke - it would have been hard to have had my illusions shattered.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've met a few "famous" people and they have swung both ways so to speak ( oh er !!! ) :

Tony Blair - regardless of my politics he was a rude and arrogant person who seemed to forget "please" and "thank you" were part of the English language
Tessa Saunderson - nice as pie and very quiet and sweet
Giles Brandreth - despite his TV persona was really down to earth and actually very funny
The Chippendales ( don't ask !!! ) - all a complete bunch of tosspots

EDIT - forgot Lord Ivor Caplin - actually uttered the immortal words "Do you know who I am ?" to me. Wanker of the highest grade regardless of his support of the Albion.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The rules are, you have to say exactly WHY they were an arse: what specifically about their attitude or behaviour made them an arse. Some of you have, but the rest: spill the beans :D

I do like the John McCririck story, sounds about right :lolol:

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Alex Ferguson refused to sign an autograph for me once as he said 'everyone would want one'. Miserable bastard.

He gave me his, same with Bobby Charlton whos seems to be difficult to get.

Problem is i have hundreds of autographs but there made out to me so are not really worth much, not that i think i would sell them

KrustyGull

Sep 23, 2011
:tantrum:Malcom McDonald ex Arsenal, Newcastle & England .
He owned a pub in Worthing about 20 years ago. I had to install hot air dryers in the loos and he was a right miserable so and so.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes. Chris Barrie. He was pissed and bored, so muscled in on me and my group of mates about a decade ago at a pub near Charing Cross. Got all chummy with us, and I offered to get him a beer. Turns out that whilst I was doing this, he asked my girlfriend (now wife) out for a date knowing full well she was my girlfriend. f***ing prick. If my wife hadn't waited until the following morning to tell me, I'd probably have made him wear that pint, the short-arsed gobshite.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I seem to recall my brother met Steve Coogan in a pub in Brighton some years ago. As he tells the story, Coogan turned around to him and his mate and said "Oh f*** off". Although to be fair, I think they had mistakenly thought it would be a hilarious idea to tap him on the shoulder first and give it a massive, Partridge-style "Ah-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!".

So they probably deserved it to be honest.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I met Matt King (Peep Show's Super Hans) in the Basketmaker's Arms once and thought a photo posed with him would make a fantastic facebook profile pic so after a little Dutch courage went over and asked if he'd be so kind as to oblige.

He told me he had just come out for a quiet drink and didn't really want any fuss but if I came back in a bit after he'd finished his pint he'd see what he could do. So I went back to my mates and about 45 minutes later tried again, only to get the exact same response.

Sensing this was obviously just an excuse and I was never likely to get my photo I decided if I couldn't pose with him I would at least sneak a photo of him drinking in the pub as near enough proof I'd met him. I casually stood at the bar pretending I was sending a text, aiming the camera for the best shot but of course I'd forgotten to turn the shutter sound off and on taking the sneaky pic it was very obvious what I'd done.

He leapt to his feet and asked me in no uncertain times what did I think I was doing. I explained I was only after a photo as I was a big fan and he DEMANDED to see my phone so he could delete the not so stealthily taken photo there and then.

I can appreciate it must be frustrating to have people bother you all the time when you just want a quiet catch up with your mates, but on this occasion I really was the only person to actually approach the guy (perhaps everyone else already knew better) and his "come back in a bit" spiel gave me hope that I was going to get my wish. If he'd just said "nah mate, not gonna happen" I'd have slumped off and forgotten about it. If he'd have just let me take a photo he'd have got it out of the way in seconds and not been bothered again.

It was his aggressive stance when I took the cheeky photo that really made me think "wow, this guy is a dick" but in truth I can't help but feel I was probably a bit annoying in all honesty.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I met Matt King (Peep Show's Super Hans) in the Basketmaker's Arms once and thought a photo posed with him would make a fantastic facebook profile pic so after a little Dutch courage went over and asked if he'd be so kind as to oblige.

Ha ha, he's famous for this isn't he. I've seen him in the Lion & Lobster a few times, so neurotic!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ha ha, he's famous for this isn't he. I've seen him in the Lion & Lobster a few times, so neurotic!

Wow. I wouldn't have the slightest clue who he was. Quite funny when you get people who are precious about being famous when 90% of the population wouldn't recognise them anyway. Seems a tad arrogant? Or maybe he just doesn't need the money.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wow. I wouldn't have the slightest clue who he was. Quite funny when you get people who are precious about being famous when 90% of the population wouldn't recognise them anyway. Seems a tad arrogant? Or maybe he just doesn't need the money.

To be fair to him, he think he genuinely doesn't want anyone to recognise him to such an extent he gets a bit funny when they do.

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
I think the higher up the food chain they are the nicer and more humble they have been in my experience. I have been lucky enough to meet some real sporting A-listers through work and most were diamonds, well they were to me anyway although you won't find too many who call Tiger Woods a diamond these days...

I have met: David Beckham in New York - was getting mobbed at the time but was still happy enough to pose for a photo and answer a few things I asked, came across as a top fella.
Floyd Mayweather Jnr in London - again had no problem shaking my hand and saying hello.
Carl Froch in Hamburg - With his Mrs who was/is RED HOT, stopped for a chat and a photo.
Vitali Klitschko in Hamburg - had a photo and gave us his Team Klitschko top, polite and courteous.
Tiger Woods at Royal Troon in '04 - was slightly moody but still said hello and shook my hand as he got out of his car (Driven by Steve Williams).
Mike Tyson in Shoreham - was at a private Q&A but was in a jovial mood and happy to pose for pics, sign autographs.

In comparison to... D-listers like Norman Cook, Minging local model Jordan, Mark Wright from The Only Way Is Essex and others who are blinded by there own status/importance. David Haye was also an a**hole as have been a few ex-Albion players through the years.

One player from our current fold who I heard is top drawer to us is Craig Mackail-Smith, although I've never met him.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
I was taking some photo's in a nightclub in Ibiza Town in 1999, when a voice beside me said "if you take another picture of me i'll stick that camera up your arse". When i turned around it was Frank Bruno. I smiled at him, (or should i say gurned at him:D ) and tried to explain that i was taking a picture of my wife. He told me to f*** off and call me a **** before storming off. Tbh i crapped myself he was f***ing huge.

Aug 23, 2011
My friend met one of the guys off masterchef (the baldy one with glasses), Greg Wallace or something. Anyway she said he was really sleazy and absolute filth to anything in a skirt

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here