Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EUROPE keen to share Mediterranean migrants out...

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
They have tried several times just because the door remains open, I absolutely accept that in some sense it is tragic.

But before you wring your hands, if there is no deterrent we are just inciting hundreds/thousands to certain death.

I am not too sure why just because those with the means, money and contacts to access the crossings then have some sort of automatic validation to then enter a European country ahead of the poor souls they have left behind, seems private asylum seeking at its very best.

Well, im not wringing my hands, despite how awful the situation is. Im not sure how to solve it, but im pretty sure sending multi nationals back to Libya isnt going to work too well. Its all very sad.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The current situation is completely unsustainable. The only way to address the issue is to keep returning every person who makes it across - or is picked up en route - back to Libya.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The current situation is completely unsustainable. The only way to address the issue is to keep returning every person who makes it across - or is picked up en route - back to Libya.

What if Libya refuses to let any of these ships land? Are they going to sail around the Mediterranean like a modern day flying Dutchman?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You have to feel for the Italians as they're on the frontline dealing with the African exodus.
The EU was always goner be a huge disaster when dealing with immigrants in and out of the EU.Time it got scrapped and we all went back to how it was as most EU countries would fair so much better if not all.

D

Deleted member 22389

It's been unsustainable for a few years now. Once again nobody is taking in to consideration where these people are actually going to go when they arrive in the UK.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The only option is to scrap the European Union as this will continue for decades.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What if Libya refuses to let any of these ships land? Are they going to sail around the Mediterranean like a modern day flying Dutchman?

I'll pop you down for half a dozen then. Just until they manage to find something more permanent. :thumbsup:

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
It's certainly not only Italy with this huge problem. I have recently returned from Greece and there it is similar only they are closer to the source -Turkey. Many of the Greek islands are not many miles from the Turkish coast. They also are looking for some sort of solution.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Although currently flying under the radar, perhaps we should follow the lead of Australian PM Abbot. I don't hear any outcry about what they are doing. These are not asylum seekers they are economic migrants who have chosen for reasons not relating to persecution to attempt to get into Europe. The soft European Commissioners, will take an age making a decision, as with Greece, with the eventual outcome being a non decision. Another fiasco in the making.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Although currently flying under the radar, perhaps we should follow the lead of Australian PM Abbot. I don't hear any outcry about what they are doing. These are not asylum seekers they are economic migrants who have chosen for reasons not relating to persecution to attempt to get into Europe. The soft European Commissioners, will take an age making a decision, as with Greece, with the eventual outcome being a non decision. Another fiasco in the making.

Why do we care what the EU Commissioners think?

We have just had an election in this country, and elected a government to decide what this country does.

I don't recall electing ANY EU Commissioners, so who are they to dictate to a democratically elected government?

Or have I missed a meeting?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Whereupon ISIS will start lopping off their swedes and pointing their blood soaked fingers at the "civilised" world as being responsible for sending them back to their fucking caliphate where certain death awaits them as traitors to Islam for wanting to run away from it.

That is certainly what WILL happen if we adopt your policy.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
...a better solution would be to send them to Poland or Romania where there are plenty of empty houses. The rich countries in Northern Europe should pay to resettle them in the east. I imagine that would be a more elegant and palatable solution for the UK and Germany.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
...a better solution would be to send them to Poland or Romania where there are plenty of empty houses. The rich countries in Northern Europe should pay to resettle them in the east. I imagine that would be a more elegant and palatable solution for the UK and Germany.
Don't forget Prague. That's supposed to be nice.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Or Bulgaria, i'm working with a Bulgarian and he has now brought 3 flats outside of Sofia, must be empty as he's saving up to buy the next one whilst here.

The Germans are sick of it believe you me. You just need to get a few beers down them before the xenophobia comes out.

ISIS in Libya have made it policy to float 500k across this year in the belief it will cause riots in European cities. I think they're on to a winner.

Good point that,wouldn't be surprised if jihadi John has got himself a lilo to try sneek himself back into the land of milk and honey.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Theresa May confirmed that Britain would not participate in an EU-wide scheme to resettle migrants coming to Europe via the Mediterranean. She said they were often economic migrants from countries like Nigeria, Eritrea, Somalia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here