Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Enid Blyton, classed as xenophobic.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Having seen a clip on Twitter, they've already discussed it, as Blyton being the author of the Famous Five and Magnificent Seven (I kid you not)

The really shame here is its presented to trigger viewers; to think emotionally not rationally. More views will translate as more money and influence over an already right wing conservative party. See Fox "news" for the business model.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
People have been saying that since at least the early 1970s though. You can't pin this on woke snowflakes.
This is true - the Noddy books were re-written ages ago without the golliwogs playing the baddies. I was read Noddy books as a kid, but I didn't read them to my children, and certainly won't to my grandchildren. In their bowdlerised form, although politically correct, I suspect they will lack some of the original appeal anyway.
Even in the 50s, I remember the Enid Blyton books for older children (Famous 5 etc.) were somewhat frowned upon by teachers, but I think that was more to do with them not being very well written rather than their somewhat xenophobic content. They were of their time though, and not alone - Biggles, for example, I seem to remember having no truck with Lascars or most other johnny foreigners!

Indeed, especially seeing that the OP has been so outraged, they have seemingly failed to read the article!
"The information goes on to explain how an article in The Guardian in 1966 noted the racism of her book, The Little Black Doll. The children's short story tells the tale of a doll named "Sambo" who is only accepted by his owner once his "ugly black face" is washed "clean" by the rain."
Far be it from me to defend Enid Blyton's stories - but I must call out the inaccuracies in that article (presumably written that way to make wicked Blyton seem even worse?) but I actually have a copy of the story of Sambo, the black doll. It was given to me back in the 1950s - whether it was new, or handed down from an older cousin I don't know. And the fact is, Sambo's face wasn't washed 'clean' - he stayed black to the end. Yes, the other toys didn't like him, but by his kindness he won them over. To quote:
"I'm so ashamed of myself" said the bear to the clown, "We've been so unkind to Sambo."
Not perfect, not by a long way, but not quite as racist as the author of the article would have us believe!

Last edited:

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
We'll end up scrutinising every pre-twatter utterance ever made. Beyond pathetic. It's pure Macarthyism. Not a healthy development IMHO. Will just end up as society jerking on the end of a string being pulled by millenials spending hours finely crafting a tweet from their childhood bedrooms. These people SERIOUSLY need to engage with the wider community. IMHO, like

But that is what you're doing? You are scrutinising the utterance of an insignificant footnote addendum on a website. You need to SERIOUSLY engage with more important things in the wider community. IMHO, like.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Guy Gibson should be removed from all WW2 history books and his medals returned, because his dog was named n*gger.

A lot of cats and dogs were. A charity I did some work for once published a picture of a pet graveyard in one of their magazines. I pointed out that the picture had a clearly visible name on one of its gravestones. The above name... Ooops.

The OPs story is a non-event though. The blue plaque is not being removed and an update of views on her writing has been added. Even at the time some were seen as little out of order.

Still, one for the broflakes. I'll sit and watch the meat sizzle.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Incredible how many people posting have clearly not read the article. Demonstrates how easily the incurious can be manipulated.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not sure about that but it's certainly not an advantage to be white, middle class and a English nowadays. I'm not suggesting it should be although there are an awful lot of bleeding hearts out there who claim that's the reality of the situation.

Oh, it is. :shrug:

(I'm not complaining, mind).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We'll end up scrutinising every pre-twatter utterance ever made. Beyond pathetic. It's pure Macarthyism. Not a healthy development IMHO. Will just end up as society jerking on the end of a string being pulled by millenials spending hours finely crafting a tweet from their childhood bedrooms. These people SERIOUSLY need to engage with the wider community. IMHO, like

You are either being satirical or you've been reeled in . . . . . this is not news :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
These days if you say you're English you get arrested and thrown in jail.

Being facetious then being taken literally is a hilarious feature of this thread.

What next? Sailors denied their jigger of rum? ??? Political correctness gone mad.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The really shame here is its presented to trigger viewers; to think emotionally not rationally. More views will translate as more money and influence over an already right wing conservative party. See Fox "news" for the business model.

I wonder if their viewers actually think at all. Yul Brynner meets Noddy. :lolol:

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I hope everyone offended by this are equally storming the castle to burn Huckleberry Finn books.

On Huckleberry Finn
In one instance, the controversy caused a drastically altered interpretation of the text: in 1955, CBS tried to avoid controversial material in a televised version of the book, by deleting all mention of slavery and omitting the character of Jim entirely

Another one who clearly hasn't read the article.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Try getting a job in a TV advert nowadays and you wouldn't think it was such an advantage.

My heart bleeds for the millions of out-of-work white middle class TV advert actors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here