Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Enid Blyton, classed as xenophobic.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Who’s angry? I find it all very amusing.
It’s a discussion forum on a football board, the season don’t start for a month an half, we’re all bored shitless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get the impression some are more than a little peeved as they they've got the wrong end of the stick. ~50% of the posts back this up

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've just started reading Mein Kampf, and have just got to the chapter involving sling backs and a gimp mask :D
Amazing.....

Here is well known NSC poster at a recent Free Enid Blyton party. Heartwarming.

Trained Nazi.PNG

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Unfortunately there is no character with that name in the series.

The nearest is, masters mate or Tom the cabin boy.

The British Captain Pugwash animated television series, which originally aired on the BBC between 1958 and 1967, is widely believed to have featured characters with risqué maritime names such as Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger the Cabin Boy. In fact, the crew of the famous Black Pig ship included sailors with no such names.

Present on board were Master Mate, Tom the Cabin Boy, and Pirates Barnabas and Willy. (No character with the designation of ‘Seaman’ appeared in the show.) Series creator John Ryan successfully won retractions and settlements from Sunday Correspondent and the Guardian after both newspapers claimed that the show’s characters did indeed have smutty names, and that the BBC had taken it off the air as a result.

well , thanks for that....:thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Who’s angry? I find it all very amusing.
It’s a discussion forum on a football board, the season don’t start for a month an half, we’re all bored shitless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You keep trotting this out. "We really all are bored of lockdown/off-season/pubs closed" etc as some sort of excuse. When in fact you trot out your same old brand of dimwittery, dozens of times a day, month in month out , lockdown or no, off season or not. The vast majority of us do not post anywhere like the drivel you do, at any time.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I remember when at primary school about 1950 or 51 my class teacher was anti Enid Blyton and compared her books to comics (possibly Beano and Dandy). I'm not sure of her reasons but guess in hindsight it was because of the books dumbed down text?
That what often quoted as the reason the books were unpopular among certain types of teachers and librarians. But it can't have been the correct reason, or it would have been applied consistently. You can't tell me that the reason I learned to read with "Janet and John" rather than "Pride and Prejudice" was because the two were of equal literary merit and it was the toss of a coin which I got. It was because the books for children used simpler text, vocabulary, and themes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That what often quoted as the reason the books were unpopular among certain types of teachers and librarians. But it can't have been the correct reason, or it would have been applied consistently. You can't tell me that the reason I learned to read with "Janet and John" rather than "Pride and Prejudice" was because the two were of equal literary merit and it was the toss of a coin which I got. It was because the books for children used simpler text, vocabulary, and themes.

Yes, but were Janet and John any more or less xenophobic than Mrs. Bennett? - or even any more multi-cultural? If only the Patels had gazumped Mr. Bingley and moved into Netherfield, eh :wink:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No particular motivation, just getting irritated by a self proclaimed group of people who think their job is to go round retrospectively challenging everything ever written or said . It’s a waste of time trying to re write books because they don’t suit your mindset . An author has a right to write whatever book they want and then it’s up to the publisher to decide if they want to publish it .

Lots of stuff written 50 - 100 years ago might be deemed nowdays to be offensive to some people , Shakespeare probably the best example but it is of a time and you can’t go round moaning and trying to cancel something that was written many years ago .

Get on with your life and make today and tomorrow better !
Well that's my day ruined.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Her books were shit!

Apparently this belongs on the controversial opinions thread. My mum spent much of my childhood trying to get me to read Blyton's dull nonsense.

Couldn't stand them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Her books were shit!

Apparently this belongs on the controversial opinions thread. My mum spent much of my childhood trying to get me to read Blyton's dull nonsense.

Couldn't stand them.

Oh come on! You can't bring 'dull' into it (pretty crap, yes, no prob!) but as for being dull can't even compare to Dickens. I can picture the great man sitting at his desk every evening with an inkpot, a quill pen and a guttering candle setting out to write the absolute longest sentence ever constructed in the English language.

I think he achieved it somewhere about the fourth or fifth chapter of Nicholas Nickleby (and yes, i was trying to read it aloud to one of my daughters. That was about the point where we both decided to find another book for bedtime reading!)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Oh come on! You can't bring 'dull' into it (pretty crap, yes, no prob!) but as for being dull can't even compare to Dickens. I can picture the great man sitting at his desk every evening with an inkpot, a quill pen and a guttering candle setting out to write the absolute longest sentence ever constructed in the English language.

I think he achieved it somewhere about the fourth or fifth chapter of Nicholas Nickleby (and yes, i was trying to read it aloud to one of my daughters. That was about the point where we both decided to find another book for bedtime reading!)

To be fair, I haven't really compared the two. I wasn't reading much Dickens as a child.:lolol:

But yes, I take your point.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Pointing out that an author who produced numerous massively popular and engaging books lived in a very different time with different values isn't news ... obviously tedious bellends who want to exacerbate division and try to retrospectively police history will feel the need to change the wording on plaques/follow the woke agenda ...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

And still this thread attracts them...

It should be preserved as a monument to the bullshit 'culture wars' and those who perpetuate/fall for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here