Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Enid Blyton, classed as xenophobic.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I love the way so many people use the phrase " Political Correctness gone mad "

My question to those would be

" What is wrong with Correctness " ?

Shouldn't we all be trying to do the right thing and and correcting the wrongs of the past ?

As for the text of Enid Blyton. I grew up with her books in my childhood in the 1960s and the underlying Racial Undertones escaped me. As an adult I see them and there should be an effort made to point out their lack of " Political Correctness "

It was a different era, No we should not retrospectly try to correct authors that are now dead ! I we don’t have the right to change literature without the authors permission. A small minority of woke people who probably don’t have jobs so have a lot of free time to complain about everything doesn’t make it right!

we should instead concentrate on making today and the future right ..

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
To be fair, the way you’ve worded that, and the subsequent edit does make it sound like the sticker was covering the mythical rude names. I know what you mean now but it was a bit confusing.

Only if you go looking for sarcasm when there was none. They made themselves look silly. So you thought that meant they printed the book, realised there was some scandal around the names and decided to print stickers to include facts that were not real - thus making their books look stupid?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It was a different era, No we should not retrospectly try to correct authors that are now dead ! I we don’t have the right to change literature without the authors permission. A small minority of woke people who probably don’t have jobs so have a lot of free time to complain about everything doesn’t make it right!

Who is changing literature?

300 posts on the thread and people still don't know what they're angry about. It seems reading levels are stuck at Blyton levels for some.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

could you explain your motivations to type the emboldened bit?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
1d956f7a0d1171c77a3c899af41c03c3.jpg

Who did this?
WHO DID THIS?..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Only if you go looking for sarcasm when there was none. They made themselves look silly. So you thought that meant they printed the book, realised there was some scandal around the names and decided to print stickers to include facts that were not real - thus making their books look stupid?

The way it reads is that you bought a book in the shop and it had stickers covering up names like “Seaman Staines”. We know those names are not true so people thought you were making it up. Sorry, but even with your edit, that’s how it reads. But I think we all now understand what you meant and all is well with the world again :)

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
could you explain your motivations to type the emboldened bit?

No particular motivation, just getting irritated by a self proclaimed group of people who think their job is to go round retrospectively challenging everything ever written or said . It’s a waste of time trying to re write books because they don’t suit your mindset . An author has a right to write whatever book they want and then it’s up to the publisher to decide if they want to publish it .

Lots of stuff written 50 - 100 years ago might be deemed nowdays to be offensive to some people , Shakespeare probably the best example but it is of a time and you can’t go round moaning and trying to cancel something that was written many years ago .

Get on with your life and make today and tomorrow better !

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
No particular motivation, just getting irritated by a self proclaimed group of people who think their job is to go round retrospectively challenging everything ever written or said . It’s a waste of time trying to re write books because they don’t suit your mindset . An author has a right to write whatever book they want and then it’s up to the publisher to decide if they want to publish it .

Lots of stuff written 50 - 100 years ago might be deemed nowdays to be offensive to some people , Shakespeare probably the best example but it is of a time and you can’t go round moaning and trying to cancel something that was written many years ago .

so....... jobseekers,.............................................. what? :shrug:

i can't make head nor tail of it

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

:ffsparr:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

As I noted yesterday, this thread is hilarious for its exposure of unconscious (and not so unconscious) bias. I'm half tempted to start a thread claiming that Marcus Rashford is denying that he's a nonce, so that I can sit back and watch the gammon piling in to say 'I told you there was something funny about him' and 'old sins have long shadows'. ??? :lolol:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
As I noted yesterday, this thread is hilarious for its exposure of unconscious (and not so unconscious) bias. I'm half tempted to start a thread claiming that Marcus Rashford is denying that he's a nonce, so that I can sit back and watch the gammon piling in to say 'I told you there was something funny about him' and 'old sins have long shadows'. ??? :lolol:

The willingness to ignore all facts in pursuit of the narrative is quite something. Funny at times but mostly depressing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The willingness to ignore all facts in pursuit of the narrative is quite something. Funny at times but mostly depressing.

I've been having the odd peek at posts by people I have on ignore, today. In nearly 20 years I have blocked only 49 posters, and a good number of these have now been barred, or only post in the cess pit. With around 20,000 members, that's quite a small percentage of fools. I find that quite pleasing and reassuring :thumbsup:

I think I may now take the knee, in the expectation this will disgust someone :drool:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I've been having the odd peek at posts by people I have on ignore, today. In nearly 20 years I have blocked only 49 posters, and a good number of these have now been barred, or only post in the cess pit. With around 20,000 members, that's quite a small percentage of fools. I find that quite pleasing and reassuring :thumbsup:

I think I may now take the knee, in the expectation this will disgust someone :drool:

:laugh::facepalm:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Pointing out that an author who produced numerous massively popular and engaging books lived in a very different time with different values isn't news ... obviously tedious bellends who want to exacerbate division and try to retrospectively police history will feel the need to change the wording on plaques/follow the woke agenda ...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If you want some real racism and xenophobia in children's books, try Percy F Westerman. Real ripping yarns and massively popular in his day (early 20th century) but probably no longer safe for work now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_F._Westerman

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I see I'm reeling them in ???

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Pointing out that an author who produced numerous massively popular and engaging books lived in a very different time with different values isn't news ... obviously tedious bellends who want to exacerbate division and try to retrospectively police history will feel the need to change the wording on plaques/follow the woke agenda ...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Which plaques have been changed?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Who is changing literature?

300 posts on the thread and people still don't know what they're angry about. It seems reading levels are stuck at Blyton levels for some.

Who’s angry? I find it all very amusing.
It’s a discussion forum on a football board, the season don’t start for a month an half, we’re all bored shitless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here