Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Enid Blyton, classed as xenophobic.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm sure that Julian, Dick, Anne, George and Timmy will follow the trail to get the true story behind this falsehood.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
No it hasn't :shrug:

Give me an example of something you consider 'over the top' please.

Advertising on TV and in the media. Is it truly representative of the balance of modern day society in Britain? Not in my view.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
People are acting that way for a good reason.

Funny how you've chosen this thread to make a comment like this. An author whose views have been thought of as at least 'a bit off' for SIXTY years, and yet some people (yourself included) see it as a prime example of contemporary political correctness gone mad.

I reckon you're going to see the PC brigade in a hell of a lot of things, because that is what you WANT to see.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Certainly from the information her biographer has revealed she was a very nasty piece of work and as more people become aware of this she will become something of a busted flush.

In terms of moving forward I find the news from the States far more encouraging. The Bill to make Juneteenth (June 19th when slavery officially ended in the US in 1865) a Federal Holiday has been passed by the Government

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/16/us-juneteenth-federal-holiday-biden

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Funny how you've chosen this thread to make a comment like this. An author whose views have been thought of as at least 'a bit off' for SIXTY years, and yet some people (yourself included) see it as a prime example of contemporary political correctness gone mad.

I reckon you're going to see the PC brigade in a hell of a lot of things, because that is what you WANT to see.

I really don't want to see that but I'm growing increasingly tired of how self critical we have become as a society (we're sorry about this, we'll change that etc.) and yet the reality is we are one of the most tolerant and inclusive countries in the world. I'll leave it there.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Perfect for GB News I guess that's why its spiritual cousin Sky News is carry it.

It's tough to face that many of us liked things that people of other races and cultures would find highly painful. Just because we don't have a perception of it doesn't mean it not true.

Imagine being a black child and reading that Sambo, the black doll of the title, is hated by his owner and other toys owing to his "ugly black face", and runs away. Then a shower of "magic rain" washes his face clean, after which he is welcomed back home with his now pink face.

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It also may be the case that as her treatment of her husband suggests, she was a nasty piece of work: "Blyton's marriage to Pollock became troubled for years, and according to Crowe's memoir, Blyton began a series of affairs, including a lesbian relationship with one of the children's nannies. In 1941 Blyton met Kenneth Fraser Darrell Waters, a London surgeon with whom she began a serious affair. Pollock discovered the liaison, and threatened to initiate divorce proceedings against Blyton. Fearing that exposure of her adultery would ruin her public image, it was ultimately agreed that Blyton would instead file for divorce against Pollock. According to Crowe's memoir, Blyton promised that if he admitted to infidelity she would allow him parental access to their daughters; but after the divorce he was forbidden to contact them, and Blyton ensured he was subsequently unable to find work in publishing. Pollock, having married Crowe on 26 October 1943, eventually resumed his heavy drinking and was forced to petition for bankruptcy in 1950"

I’m not seeing precisely where she’s being a nasty piece of work here. So she was a closeted lesbian. Is that it? Naturally that would have to be kept under wraps in the 40’s and 50’s.

Custody of kids is a bit he said she said, we’re taking one persons perspective here (Crowe). But custody is an issue with lots of couples, even today.

Clearly her use of language in her books is very of its time and we now recognise the racist values within. I’m not super comfortable with desecrating her memory as a monster when these values were universally shared at the time (wrongly of course).

I read a lot of Enid Blyton as a child, and actually my parents did say it was fairly racist even then. But they explained the history. And to be honest it didn’t detract anything for me, I loved those books and they certainly captured the imagination of a kid.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Perfect for GB News I guess that's why its spiritual cousin Sky News is carry it.

Having seen a clip on Twitter, they've already discussed it, as Blyton being the author of the Famous Five and Magnificent Seven (I kid you not)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I never had time for reading books like that, I was too busy out playing with the Scouts :eek:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We'll end up scrutinising every pre-twatter utterance ever made. Beyond pathetic. It's pure Macarthyism. Not a healthy development IMHO. Will just end up as society jerking on the end of a string being pulled by millenials spending hours finely crafting a tweet from their childhood bedrooms. These people SERIOUSLY need to engage with the wider community. IMHO, like

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here