Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***England vs India First test match at Trent Bridge OFFICAL match Thread***

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Think how few we'd score on a wicket that had any life in it?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is shocking from England, HOWEVER if we'd had DRS two of those wickets would have been overturned.

Why on EARTH isn't DRS compulsory? At least make it the decision of the home team, rather than allow India not to use it.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
If India refuse to use DRS, can't teams just refuse to play them?
It's crazy that a first class international sport doesn't use consistant rules.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Why on EARTH isn't DRS compulsory? At least make it the decision of the home team, rather than allow India not to use it.

Because the BCCI is the most powerful institution in world cricket, no matter what the silly tie brigade at the MCC think.

EDIT: Sorry - didn't see Keaton's response. At least we were consistent though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Because the Indian board run cricket

Because the BCCI is the most powerful institution in world cricket, no matter what the silly tie brigade at the MCC think.

EDIT: Sorry - didn't see Keaton's response. At least we were consistent though.

I'm not disputing those statements, and I've often heard it said. But can someone with a little more knowledge than I explain how and why that came about?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If India refuse to use DRS, can't teams just refuse to play them?
It's crazy that a first class international sport doesn't use consistant rules.

They run cricket, if you refused to play them they'd change the agreements so you get less money. The ECB and the Aussie board have signed up to this and they can pretty much to what they like

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm not disputing those statements, and I've often heard it said. But can someone with a little more knowledge than I explain how and why that came about?

IPL and massive TV deal $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s

You know, normal sports corruption type stuff. Cricket's no different.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Tea on Day 3

England 205-7

74-6 in the session

NO wickets in the first session of the day. SIX in the second. Who would have thought that??

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Dreadful batting, dreadful umpiring, dreadful all round.

England summoning the 90's spirit with this collapse in a 'lifeless' pitch

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it is time for Alistair Cook to step away from the England side until he regains some form with the bat and corrects some of his technical defects.

It is asking a hell of a lot for novices like Robson, Balance, Root and Ali to consistently make up for Cook's failures with the bat. There's a good case for bringing in Alex Lees of Yorkshire as a like-for-like replacement, or if they think he needs more time then bringing in Jos Buttler as keeper and having Prior just as a batsman. Broad can captain in Cook's absence.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think it is time for Alistair Cook to step away from the England side until he regains some form with the bat and corrects some of his technical defects.

It is asking a hell of a lot for novices like Robson, Balance, Root and Ali to consistently make up for Cook's failures with the bat. There's a good case for bringing in Alex Lees of Yorkshire as a like-for-like replacement, or if they think he needs more time then bringing in Jos Buttler as keeper and having Prior just as a batsman. Broad can captain in Cook's absence.

It has to be when rather than if this will happen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here