Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***England vs India First test match at Trent Bridge OFFICAL match Thread***

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Am I the only person who can't say the word "Snicko" without saying it in a fake Australian accent?!? :D

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have a contact in India ( reasonably high up the cricket pecking order ) who informs me that Indian scientists have been studying ' hawkeye' for some time and are dubious as to its accuracy. We have all been sold on the idea that it is extremely reliable and can replicate the moving ball but those of us who have played a lot of cricket know that a cricket ball sometimes moves in a mysterious way. Go into a net and bowl 6 balls at the stumps and count the number of times you think its hitting and then at the last minute it doesn't. Hawkeye works on predictability but it has no way of coping with the unexpected. Sometimes the umpires intuition is more reliable than Hawkeye. Tennis has accepted Hawkeye as an arbiter of line calls but it doesn't necessarily mean its 100% accurate. It can't always follow the spin imparted and just plots the most predictable path. It also serves to cut down the number of disputes on court ( a la McEnroe / Tarrango etc )
I know DRS covers a wider range of issues than LBW's and I think its invaluable in determining run outs and stumpings. The Indians seem to be prepared to forsake this in their discomfort over Hawkeye. It wouldn't surprise me if they were working on their own system to introduce first in a home series and then to try and sell the idea worldwide.

The problem is that it is meant for the shocking decision, but is often misused by captains for really tight decisions. The system actually always defaults to the umpires decision if Hawkeye cannot show definitely that a change in decision is warranted. Therefore can't quite understand the Indians because the potential errors in the system that you are suggesting are covered by the fact that the decision by the umpire is still the deciding factor.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Probably a really stupid question this, but what are the numbers under the 3 Lions for?

It's the amount of times KP has called them out on their game :)

Seriously, I think it's their cap number - as in Alistair Cook is 630, Robson is 664 and the most recent cap recipient

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I am sure someone who knows cricket better than I will explain.

But now they are level, what's the point in turning down runs and not scoring? Would it not be better to just pick up all the runs we can?

All this is doing is wasting time

There are some daft comments on cricinfo:-

"Magnificent stand now being ruined by timid batting at the ned. typical England I'm afraid... big upside dragged down by negative tactics."

"... dissenting voice here - the last 30 minutes have been a massive wasted opportunity for England to try and win the game.... so much for the dynamic England outlook we were promised..... 'Protecting' a batsman who's been in over a session with almost 70 to his name?"

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
485-9 at lunch

Records galore being broken this morning.

Anderson's 81 not out is the highest score by an England number 11 and the third-highest in Test history (only 17 behind).
The stand of 187 is a Test record for the 10th-wicket, passing the 163 of Ashton Agar and Phil Hughes set last year.
This is the first Test match where both number 11s have scored half-centuries and where two last-wicket partnerships have added in excess of 100.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
495/9

world record partnership continuing > 196 now

Anderson still on 81 not out

best ever by a number 11 in a Test is 98 (last year)

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
496 ao
Anderson out for 81

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Here's a question that me and my friend are currently debating - given Flintoff's fairly promising start in the T20 for Lancs, would anyone consider him coming back into the England fold, at any level? My view is, that if he shows form, and can prove fitness, he could be what we need for a temporary replacement for Cook as captain, even till the end of the India series - and what a swansong it would be!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Love Bumble "chatting" to that young couple in the crowd via the Sky commentary :lolol:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Here's a question that me and my friend are currently debating - given Flintoff's fairly promising start in the T20 for Lancs, would anyone consider him coming back into the England fold, at any level? My view is, that if he shows form, and can prove fitness, he could be what we need for a temporary replacement for Cook as captain, even till the end of the India series - and what a swansong it would be!

There's more chance of KP having a menage a trois with Strauss and Moores.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here