Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***England vs India First test match at Trent Bridge OFFICAL match Thread***

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Here's a question that me and my friend are currently debating - given Flintoff's fairly promising start in the T20 for Lancs, would anyone consider him coming back into the England fold, at any level? My view is, that if he shows form, and can prove fitness, he could be what we need for a temporary replacement for Cook as captain, even till the end of the India series - and what a swansong it would be!

Not a chance. Especially for tests. A very slim possibilty at t20 but highly highly unlikely.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I have a contact in India ( reasonably high up the cricket pecking order ) who informs me that Indian scientists have been studying ' hawkeye' for some time and are dubious as to its accuracy. We have all been sold on the idea that it is extremely reliable and can replicate the moving ball but those of us who have played a lot of cricket know that a cricket ball sometimes moves in a mysterious way. Go into a net and bowl 6 balls at the stumps and count the number of times you think its hitting and then at the last minute it doesn't. Hawkeye works on predictability but it has no way of coping with the unexpected. Sometimes the umpires intuition is more reliable than Hawkeye. Tennis has accepted Hawkeye as an arbiter of line calls but it doesn't necessarily mean its 100% accurate. It can't always follow the spin imparted and just plots the most predictable path. It also serves to cut down the number of disputes on court ( a la McEnroe / Tarrango etc )
I know DRS covers a wider range of issues than LBW's and I think its invaluable in determining run outs and stumpings. The Indians seem to be prepared to forsake this in their discomfort over Hawkeye. It wouldn't surprise me if they were working on their own system to introduce first in a home series and then to try and sell the idea worldwide.
None of that compares to some of the shocking decisions made by indian umpires down the years.

Secondly they should be made to agree to the majority decision made by all the cricket boards.

Thirdly it's in our country, our rules or foxtrot oscar.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
173/5 with a lead of 134 - game on maybe ?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Two early wickets from Stuart Broad... 173-5 (lead 134)... just a sniff of a possible result here... until the inevitable 100 stand by the 10th wicket :)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Cook drops an absolute dolly to let Dhoni off.

Is there a worse regular slip fielder than Alastair Cook in world cricket? I'd love to see some stats on percentage success chances to catches.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Talking to an Aussie mate in the pub last night. He was well pissed off that England now have the World Record last wicket stand :lolol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What with the TdF, World Cup, life etc, I have seen nothing of this Test. So, I just turned on. My first ball was Liam Plunkett clean bowling Dhoni.

Shall I keep watching?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Cook drops an absolute dolly to let Dhoni off.

Is there a worse regular slip fielder than Alastair Cook in world cricket? I'd love to see some stats on percentage success chances to catches.

He's a pretty shite captain as well.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well, that's that. India's lead is 246 and we are not going to try to chase that down and risk losing another Test.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You all knew it at the start - it's completely pointless playing test cricket on a wicket that flat.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The perfect wicket would see a result after tea on day 5 .....
I appreciate teams have to earn a victory, but I think if one team outplays another, they should have the chance of a result in 4 days, because we're often going to lose a couple of sessions due to rain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here