Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v Sri Lanka - Second Test - Headingley

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
aged 29, with 8092 test runs at 46.24... yeah, he's rubbish :laugh:

I was questioning his captaincy rather than his place in the side (although if his batting carries on as it has done over the past 12 months surely that will be in question through the India series).

Do we attach to much emphasis to captaincy?? Perhaps as the new coach Moores should take some weight off his shoulders, also think the bowlers should be responsible for their own field placements and tactics can come through Moores at intervals in the game (drinks break every hour). May take some pressure of Cooks shoulders and allow him to just lead by example and bat.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
England are in a hopeless place with the captaincy. For the last year Cook has been out of form and out of ideas. He's had a succession of new opening batting partners - Compton, Root, Carberry, now Robson - and his own poor form hasn't helped them to bed in.

Yet, there is no obvious candidate to take Cook's place in the side. Conceivably, Stuart Broad could become captain but he hasn't got a lot of experience in this regard. I'm sure Cook wouldn't want to be seen to be giving it away, but at the same time it's clear he is an unimaginative and conservative captain and this is hindering the side more than helping it.

And, yes, captaincy in cricket is hugely important. I doubt whether Alistair Cook could have accomplished what Michael Vaughan did in 2005 to turn the tide of Ashes cricket for the next 8 years via some aggressive and imaginative calls.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
At last... a low full toss from Anderson popped up to midwicket... Angelo Mathews 160 (249 balls)... a monumental innings :clap2:

437-9... lead 329

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Plunkett and Anderson being SMASHED a bit by 10 and jack...

Sri Lanka 457 all out.

England require 350 to win. 28 overs left today and 90 tomorrow.

All four results possible.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just the 350 to win, our HIGHEST EVER run chase, should be easy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Headingley test record books being rewritten:

1. 4th best test innings by a captain
2. Second highest test 8th wicket partnership (1 off the record)
3. Highest 3rd innings match total ever
4. England chasing the 2nd highest ever 4th innings winning total.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
England are in a hopeless place with the captaincy. For the last year Cook has been out of form and out of ideas. He's had a succession of new opening batting partners - Compton, Root, Carberry, now Robson - and his own poor form hasn't helped them to bed in.

Yet, there is no obvious candidate to take Cook's place in the side. Conceivably, Stuart Broad could become captain but he hasn't got a lot of experience in this regard. I'm sure Cook wouldn't want to be seen to be giving it away, but at the same time it's clear he is an unimaginative and conservative captain and this is hindering the side more than helping it.

And, yes, captaincy in cricket is hugely important. I doubt whether Alistair Cook could have accomplished what Michael Vaughan did in 2005 to turn the tide of Ashes cricket for the next 8 years via some aggressive and imaginative calls.
Broad seems the most likely. He's neither one of the old farts like Prior, Anderson and Bell or one of the new breed Robson, Ballance, Root, Jordan and Butler. He's the right age, been around the England setup for a while and has established himself, and is learning the ropes of captaining England's 20 over team.

I don't know whether he's got what it takes, but it'll be his.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
We've bowled poorly but the pitch doesn't hold as many demons as people would think at this stage and the Sri Lankan attack is of no great vintage.

Need to get to close of play ideally without loss, max 1 down and we retain a slim hope of an unlikely victory.

Pivotal mini-session for Cook, if he's out cheaply again and we go on to lose the writing must be on the wall for his captaincy.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
350 to win in 115 overs or so......should be a classic fifth day tomorrow.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I reckon we'll be FOUR down at close of play.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
FFS, this is so poor

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I had a look at the Sri Lanka odds to win at drinks a few minutes ago and they were 2-1. I can't understand why the bookies had us ahead in the betting requiring another 317 to win, we've never chased down this many in our test history. I would have put parity at us need 270 with 10 wickets left. Now we've lost two wickets this pair will need to put on 100 to get us back to parity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here