Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] *** England v India *** 2nd Spicy Test at Lords 17th -21st SS2 11am

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was in the process of typing how ridiculous it is that we have a glorious seaming fast wicket and we already have the spinner on……only for Ali to take the edge……Prior shells a dolly, again….

India's morning. 73-2 is a good start on this pitch no bones about it.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I was in the process of typing how ridiculous it is that we have a glorious seaming fast wicket and we already have the spinner on……only for Ali to take the edge……Prior shells a dolly, again….

India's morning. 73-2 is a good start on this pitch no bones about it.

It's as silly as bowling short and wide on it

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It was a great toss to win but India will be delighted to go in at 73/2. It should really be 73/4 because of the two dropped catches and the opportunity the wicket afforded the bowlers.

If India can get through the first hour after lunch then the rest of the test should be a batsman's paradise. I can't see the Indian bowlers taking 20 wickets on this surface, and neither can I see England taking 20 wickets unless they hold all of their catches. We'll need to see some fielding brilliance to help make up for Prior's gaffes with the gloves.

That said, I still fancy that Prior might be worth a place in the side on his batting alone.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Bar a few slightly defensive fielding positions (deep square to Kohli when he first came in) you can't blame Cook here. Let down by the bowling and the keeper.

Massive session after lunch.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Prior should never have come back in my opinion. He is the past and he for me is one of the leaders of this OTT, petulant, downright miserable brand of cricket we've been playing in the recent past.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Prior should never have come back in my opinion. He is the past and he for me is one of the leaders of this OTT, petulant, downright miserable brand of cricket we've been playing in the recent past.

I agree. His time is up, IMO.

He's more interested in cycling these days, sadly.

He does seem to have lost his mojo - it would be great to see him come back fighting, but I'm starting to doubt he will. Not that there's anyone pushing particularly hard to take his place...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
He's more interested in cycling these days, sadly.

He does seem to have lost his mojo - it would be great to see him come back fighting, but I'm starting to doubt he will. Not that there's anyone pushing particularly hard to take his place...

Buttler's the next cab off the rank. He's done pretty well - averaging 40 in Div 1 and scored a barnstorming ODI ton against the Sri Lankan's earlier in the summer.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
It was a great toss to win but India will be delighted to go in at 73/2. It should really be 73/4 because of the two dropped catches and the opportunity the wicket afforded the bowlers.

If India can get through the first hour after lunch then the rest of the test should be a batsman's paradise. I can't see the Indian bowlers taking 20 wickets on this surface, and neither can I see England taking 20 wickets unless they hold all of their catches. We'll need to see some fielding brilliance to help make up for Prior's gaffes with the gloves.

That said, I still fancy that Prior might be worth a place in the side on his batting alone.
Prior is terrific when we're 250+ ahead and he can come in and smash it around, unfortunately its a scenario that hasn't happened for a while. When he comes in (for England and Sussex) and we're under pressure, he rarely seems to perform with the bat.

Like others I'm struggling to name a successor....Jos Buttler maybe (eventually)?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I agree. His time is up, IMO.

It is funny, people start calling for Butler on the basis of one ODI innings and a Twitter campaign by cretins such as Piers Morgan.

Nobody actually takes into account that last season he did not keep for Somerset, so this is his first season of being a first choice keeper or that his keeping is poor at present. He will eventually take the gloves in test cricket, but not yet.

Prior is not helping himself with mistakes and he does not look 100% fit, but England have kept him on as a senior player as there are a lot of new players being bedded in.

Still it takes some pressure off Cook.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Buttler's the next cab off the rank. He's done pretty well - averaging 40 in Div 1 and scored a barnstorming ODI ton against the Sri Lankan's earlier in the summer.

Agreed, though (as indeed with Prior in his early career) his wicket keeping needs work as I'd say he's a batsman who can keep wicket rather than a true wicket-keeper batsman.

If there was anyone pushing really hard for Prior's place, he wouldn't have been rushed back partially fit.

It is funny, people start calling for Butler on the basis of one ODI innings and a Twitter campaign by cretins such as Piers Morgan.

Nobody actually takes into account that last season he did not keep for Somerset, so this is his first season of being a first choice keeper or that his keeping is poor at present. He will eventually take the gloves in test cricket, but not yet.

I agree entirely with the premise that Butler isn't ready - but if Prior isn't scoring many runs and is making a number of significant errors keeping it's difficult to see what they'd have to lose by playing Butler. I personally think that Foster would be too much of a backward step, but I'd play Bairstow, who has made some runs this season and is a much more established 'keeper (although still nowhere near Foster's level).

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Prior is not helping himself with mistakes and he does not look 100% fit, but England have kept him on as a senior player as there are a lot of new players being bedded in.

Still it takes some pressure off Cook.

Prior was a poor keeper when he first came in for England. If he's now on the downhill slope I think it might be best to take the short term hit with Buttler and let Bruce French work his magic. The key is whether Buttler can score enough runs IMHO, we'll make him into a good enough keeper.

Prior's fitness isn't going to get any better I don't think.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Prior was a poor keeper when he first came in for England. If he's now on the downhill slope I think it might be best to take the short term hit with Buttler and let Bruce French work his magic. The key is whether Buttler can score enough runs IMHO, we'll make him into a good enough keeper.

Prior's fitness isn't going to get any better I don't think.

He was a poor keeper and he was dropped for Tim Ambrose.

Prior went off and worked with Bruce French and earnt his place. There is no point in chucking a half ready Butler in. I suspect they will get Prior through this summer and whoever keeps in the Windies next April will be the one they go with.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Prior is terrific when we're 250+ ahead and he can come in and smash it around, unfortunately its a scenario that hasn't happened for a while. When he comes in (for England and Sussex) and we're under pressure, he rarely seems to perform with the bat.

Like others I'm struggling to name a successor....Jos Buttler maybe (eventually)?

We get rid of his batting at our peril. If England get their noses in front there is no better No. 7 for taking a game away from a side than Prior.

As for his keeping, he's right on the edge, but if he does lose the gloves it will be a shame as he's only 20 dismissals away from claiming the England test record from the great Alan Knott, and also only 325 runs behind Knott (albeit in 28 fewer innings). Both have made 35 scores of 50 or more.

His stats suggest that he'll need 6 more tests after this one to beat all of those records.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm not sure Prior was a poor keeper when he made his debut, he was decent but improved.

I'm not sure dropping him for Buttler due to poor keeping makes much sense as Buttler's a far worse keeper than Prior was when he started and got a bit of stick for his keeping in the recent ODIs. But we are as screwed for keepers as we are for spinners at the mo. If you were purely going to replace Prior from this team you may as well pick Foster who is a proper keeper and put Stokes at 7 but i'm not sure they'll persist with the current balance for much longer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here