Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] *** England v India *** 2nd Spicy Test at Lords 17th -21st SS2 11am

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
No changes for the 3rd Test other than Buttler for the injured Prior, and Kerrigan not included in 13 man squad.

Brave.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Sorry to move away from the thread here, but my mate is thinking of taking his lad to the Sussex game up at Horsham tomorrow and he asked me if I thought it would sell out. I can't imagine a championship game selling out even up at Horsham, but thought I'd ask what others thought just in case.

Get there before 11 and no problem. I don't think it will sell out but getting a good view unless you stand may be a problem

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But that's the problem we haven't got a lot of options. Morgan, Bell, Broad, Root, Bopara all have big question marks over them. Do we go with someone with less convincing captain credentials but test experience or someone with better captaining experience but perhaps more of radical call, ie a county captain?

Chris Read has been mentioned before. He's captained title winning Notts with great distinction, and still averages 45. Since his last test match, he's been superb in the first class game. At 35 he's under no real pressure with nothing to lose in the swan song of his career. I'd be delighted if was given the next 12 months going into next summers Ashes.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Chris Read has been mentioned before. He's captained title winning Notts with great distinction, and still averages 45. Since his last test match, he's been superb in the first class game. At 35 he's under no real pressure with nothing to lose in the swan song of his career. I'd be delighted if was given the next 12 months going into next summers Ashes.

I wouldn't mind that. I'm in favour (in case you couldn't tell by the amount of times I've posted it) of a seasoned pro. I just think if we haven't got a lot of options and we're going to gamble on someone why not go with someone who has a lot of experience captaining.

No changes for the 3rd Test other than Buttler for the injured Prior, and Kerrigan not included in 13 man squad.

Brave.

Unsurprising, more like.

The most depressing thing about this is that what's just happened with Prior is exactly the same as happened with Swann in the summer, showing that they've learnt absolutely nothing. Swann wasn't fit and wasn't in good enough form to play in Australia, but England picked him anyway - he's admitted as much on TMS. He eventually retired when it became clear to him that he wasn't any use to the side - taking the decision away from Cook and the selectors. Prior wasn't fit and wasn't in good enough form to play these home Tests, but was picked anyway, and has now similarly withdrawn himself from the firing line. Broad and Anderson are receiving exactly the same treatment when bowling - they bowl wherever/whatever they like and are still kept on for 8 over spells as pre-arranged. When Plunkett is bowling short stuff before lunch on the first day on a green top he should be whipped out of the attack, not left to his own devices. That surely can't have been the plan, can it?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Unsurprising, more like.

The most depressing thing about this is that what's just happened with Prior is exactly the same as happened with Swann in the summer, showing that they've learnt absolutely nothing. Swann wasn't fit and wasn't in good enough form to play in Australia, but England picked him anyway - he's admitted as much on TMS. He eventually retired when it became clear to him that he wasn't any use to the side - taking the decision away from Cook and the selectors. Prior wasn't fit and wasn't in good enough form to play these home Tests, but was picked anyway, and has now similarly withdrawn himself from the firing line. Broad and Anderson are receiving exactly the same treatment when bowling - they bowl wherever/whatever they like and are still kept on for 8 over spells as pre-arranged. When Plunkett is bowling short stuff before lunch on the first day on a green top he should be whipped out of the attack, not left to his own devices. That surely can't have been the plan, can it?

Good post.

What I can't believe is the lack of thought whether bowling or batting. Cook appears to offer nothing on the field. Broad has always bowled far too short and constantly offers batsmen runs. He gets stroppy, like the spoilt private school boy he is, and then starts bowling two foot outside off. With so many analysts sitting in the dressing room it beggars belief. This coupled with the brainless batting displays.

If Broad is to become captain like many believe he will that's us knackered for many a year.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I like the Chris Read idea. He is as good as anyone to steady the ship.

I checked today and Joe Root is 23. I don't know what the average age of an England captain is but I bet its about 5 years older than that. Surely he must be considered as the 'one for the future'

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Well Mushy not being there would make it easier for Read to play. He'd still have to captain Moeen Ali though which could be an issue

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here