Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v Australia, Only Test, Trent Bridge

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Australia showing why they are the best Womens team in the world - unfortunately for us!

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Gardner was always going have an impact. Will do so even more during the white ball matches.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Gardner was always going have an impact. Will do so even more during the white ball matches.
8/66 in England's 2nd innings. Match figures of 12/165.

Excellent performance.

BBC Sport livetext:

"She is just the second woman, after India's Neetu David in 1995 - also against England - to take eight in an innings of a women's Test.

Her match figures of 12-165 are the second best in women's Test. Only Shaiza Khan - 13-226 for Pakistan v West Indies in 2004 - has taken more wickets in a match. No other bowler has taken more than 11."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
8/66 in England's 2nd innings. Match figures of 12/165.

Excellent performance.

BBC Sport livetext:

"She is just the second woman, after India's Neetu David in 1995 - also against England - to take eight in an innings of a women's Test.

Her match figures of 12-165 are the second best in women's Test. Only Shaiza Khan - 13-226 for Pakistan v West Indies in 2004 - has taken more wickets in a match. No other bowler has taken more than 11."

The BBC poll was an excellent example of English exceptionalism. In 19 times out of 20, the winning team will produce the player of the match (unless there's an exceptional performer in the losing team and none in the winners). So, Gardner produces the second best bowling performance in women's test history and yet three-quarters of voters think an English player should have won - just by virtue of being English.

Utterly incredible

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The BBC poll was an excellent example of English exceptionalism. In 19 times out of 20, the winning team will produce the player of the match (unless there's an exceptional performer in the losing team and none in the winners). So, Gardner produces the second best bowling performance in women's test history and yet three-quarters of voters think an English player should have won - just by virtue of being English.

Utterly incredible
It could be English exceptionalism.
But I suspect it has just as much to do with the BBC opening the vote before today's play had even started. Which is a different level of stupid but I guess they think it helps engagement or whatever it's called.
I don't doubt that an Australian or Indian public vote would go with one of their players in an equivalent situation.
I'm more annoyed that a batter won the vote over a bowler. :angry::rant::angry::rant:
At least Gardner won the actual award.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Utterly incredible
I completely concur.

Beaumont's 208 was a great knock in a game with only one other century, but it wasn't match-winning.

Gardner was the difference and her world-class performance clearly should've been recognised as such by the public.

Edit...I've just read @Sid and the Sharknados above and his suggestion for the vote outcome is definitely credible. BBC Sport should've held fire!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I completely concur.

Beaumont's 208 was a great knock in a game with only one other century, but it wasn't match-winning.

Gardner was the difference and her world-class performance clearly should've been recognised as such by the public.

Edit...I've just read @Sid and the Sharknados above and his suggestion for the vote outcome is definitely credible. BBC Sport should've held fire!
BBC Sport should sack of all the cricketing and football voting. It's bloody stupid.5 minutes into an Albion game on and you have to scroll through "rate the players" to find anything useful

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It could be English exceptionalism.
But I suspect it has just as much to do with the BBC opening the vote before today's play had even started. Which is a different level of stupid but I guess they think it helps engagement or whatever it's called.
I don't doubt that an Australian or Indian public vote would go with one of their players in an equivalent situation.
I'm more annoyed that a batter won the vote over a bowler. :angry::rant::angry::rant:
At least Gardner won the actual award.
But that's even worse; it suggests that people are selecting regardless of the actual performance.

Although, I suspect that you're right and other nations would do the same, India certainly would

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
But that's even worse; it suggests that people are selecting regardless of the actual performance.
You've come across these BBC votes before, right? :lolol:
It's like people on here all voting for the Brighton candidate for goal of the month regardless of how good any of the others are.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Really enjoying the womens ashes too. Tight games again and another now - if we win we’re 2 ahead with 2 games and 4 points to play for. Ideally win this and have a no result in the next so it’s all on the final one to win the ashes… never know!

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Really enjoying the womens ashes too. Tight games again and another now - if we win we’re 2 ahead with 2 games and 4 points to play for. Ideally win this and have a no result in the next so it’s all on the final one to win the ashes… never know!
F*** that. Let's give them a damn good thrashing in both games

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Has anyone noticed how the women's tailenders play proper cricket shots as opposed to the wahoo of the men's tailenders ?

It's why I like the women's game, much purer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Has anyone noticed how the women's tailenders play proper cricket shots as opposed to the wahoo of the men's tailenders ?

It's why I like the women's game, much purer.
Proper cricket shots?

I’m pretty sure that the outrageous scoop off middle stump that Kate Cross played at the end, wasn’t featured in any of my childhood coaching manuals!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Proper cricket shots?

I’m pretty sure that the outrageous scoop off middle stump that Kate Cross played at the end, wasn’t featured in any of my childhood coaching manuals!
I have long and reluctantly added the scoop and the reverse sweep to my accepted 'proper cricket shots'. The 360 degree top edged carve hasn't quite made it in there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here