Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
And was it called the Ashes then?

I'm glad both men and women play the most popular sports, I just don't see the point in taking the name for one particular event and suddenly applying it to a different version.
Well the players in that series felt the need to say they didn't want to call it the ashes or be compared the the men.
Which suggests that's exactly what people were doing.
It's also worth remembering that the first mens test matches weren't considered tests at the time, nobody involved in the cricket match in the Olympics in 1900 was aware they were competing in the Olympics and a perfectly good test series between England and the Rest of the World in 1970 was chalked off for no good reason. In other words, "what was it called at the time" isn't really a worthwhile argument to have.
It's also hardly sudden, they've played for the current trophy for well over 20years now. Which is roughly how long the men have played for their's - the actual ashes have never been the official trophy for the men's series.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
? It's been called the Women's Ashes. Seems a fair title for England v Australia series- whether men or women- because England v Australia was always an Ashes series.

To be honest, I've never given it a thought.

Am I supposed to be offended here ? Sorry, I'm just not feeling it.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Excellent from England in their reply - so glad I was wrong with my pessimism yesterday! Looking good today for getting past the follow-on target in this mornings session :thumbsup: and with Beaumont and Sciver-Brunt looking very steady and set we should get very close to Australias target today :)

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
50 for Nat Sciver-Brunt :clap2:
Good start to the morning for England.
The standard of cricket here is so much higher than I remember it from four years ago. It's a match of great quality. I think the emphasis and investment in the women's game has shown a quickening.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The standard of cricket here is so much higher than I remember it from four years ago. It's a match of great quality. I think the emphasis and investment in the women's game has shown a quickening.
Well the bowling's not great.
Not in a "they can't bowl as quickly as a man" way, just in the sense that there seem to be too many loose balls.
The commentators yesterday were saying this is probably down to the bowlers playing far more one day cricket and not getting enough practice in bowling for pressure over a decent period of time.
I went to a day of the test match at Taunton four years ago, but as I spent most of the day drinking cans of Tribute my main recollection is that Tammy Beaumont isn't quite as short as might be imagined.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well the bowling's not great.
Not in a "they can't bowl as quickly as a man" way, just in the sense that there seem to be too many loose balls.
The commentators yesterday were saying this is probably down to the bowlers playing far more one day cricket and not getting enough practice in bowling for pressure over a decent period of time.
I went to a day of the test match at Taunton four years ago, but as I spent most of the day drinking cans of Tribute my main recollection is that Tammy Beaumont isn't quite as short as might be imagined.
I note that Alyssa Healy is the keeper. Niece of Ian. My claim to fame is I once got drunk with her other uncle at Wynnum Manly Cricket Club.

And they've got a McGrath bowling !

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ecclestone is so much better than the other bowlers that it's rather embarrassing. We're certainly missing Katherine SB, the seamers are far too erratic

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
No chance we chase this down.

All out for less than 150

Wheel loose and all that good stuff

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Screenshot_20230625-163514~2.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here