Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] England squad announced today

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
When did Southgate say he was only picking on form? I have a vague memory of him saying something like that when he first became manager but the way some go on about it I'd presume he says it before every squad announcement?

As always, some baffling choices.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm staggered by this Kalvin Phillips situation. Since doing his hamstring on 5th December 2021 the bloke has only played 1,188 minutes for Leeds and Man City. That's just over 13 matches of football.

He's only started 2 Prem matches for City and that was because they were resting players before the FA Cup and Champions League Finals. Just 593 mins for City in all competitions in total, over £9 million earned in salary so £15,322 per minute played.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Pleased for Dunk - hopefully plays this time.

Unfortunately March is just never going to get the call up unless we have an incredibly unfortunate glut of injuries. We just have too many exceptional players in that position.

Every chance of Steele getting a call up at some point though, I think he's better than both Ramsdale and Johnstone.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The worst is Henderson, sends an awful message to say if you go to Saudi you will be picked.
Yep, and he apparently he is a bit "lost" by some of the questioning, and insists he is being picked purely on footballing reasons.
So playing for Al-Ettifaq is the equivalent of playing in a top European game is it ?
He has just made that league seem creditable and equal.

I think he is either after a nice easy job over there after we get knocked out in the group stages of the finals next year, or he is just after a freebie flights and holidays "checking out England players a few times a year"

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Pleased for Dunk - hopefully plays this time.

Unfortunately March is just never going to get the call up unless we have an incredibly unfortunate glut of injuries. We just have too many exceptional players in that position.

Every chance of Steele getting a call up at some point though, I think he's better than both Ramsdale and Johnstone.
Thing is, Steele’s biggest quality is with the ball at his feet. And Southgate’s proven that he’s not too worried about that at big competitions.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
When did Southgate say he was only picking on form? I have a vague memory of him saying something like that when he first became manager but the way some go on about it I'd presume he says it before every squad announcement?

As always, some baffling choices.

On reflection, you've got a point. Looking it up he said that in 2017 to curry favour with the press after Big Fat Sam picked same old same old. I'm sure l said a load of old bollox in the same year. That said it doesn't really help us understand how Raheem gets in when he's shit but not when he's good, what Philips has on him and what exactly happened for Ben White to piss him off so much?

As you say, Baffling.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Here’s hoping for a couple more shit performances and heavy defeats. The clueless twit needs sacking. I worry for Dunk playing in a Southgate team :down:

Not picking Sterling in the form he has shown this season is mind boggling

You are our most ardent England fan @Sheebo what think you? Are us negative buggers all missing something?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Southgate's mealy mouthed mumblings over Henderson's move to Saudi strike me as a man trying hard not to mess up any future hopes of managing out there.

The Selhurst sellout weasel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here