England player in 'blacking up' storm

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Oh crap, I am confused. I once went to a party in drag, even went on the train. I am not sure if the women giggling at me were offended at me mocking the thousands of years of subjugation they have suffered or just thought I was having a laugh.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You have to be pretty naive to think that people are not going to criticise you for blacking up to go to a party. You have to be pretty ignorant to not understand why, a quick Google will tell you.

Having said that it would be nice to live in a world where racial tension and the effects of the past were not still felt. We are not there yet so a little thought sensitivity is required.

No you do not. You just have to be a normal human being who does not look for the wrong in everyone, and everything.

Please come back when you have grown a spine.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Was she vilifying black people and their oppression and slavery?

If no, then grow some bloody balls.

I wonder what Whoopi thinks?

Ps There is perhaps a point about equality. We haven't attacked poverty as we should.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No you do not. You just have to be a normal human being who does not look for the wrong in everyone, and everything.

Please come back when you have grown a spine.

You have to be a human being unaware of social norms. It has nothing to do with having a spine (unless you are suggesting that she did this as a comment on what racism is in the 21st century) it has to doing with considering how your actions as a reasonable high profile member of society will land with others. Only someone naive would not have seen this coming.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You have to be a human being unaware of social norms. It has nothing to do with having a spine (unless you are suggesting that she did this as a comment on what racism is in the 21st century) it has to doing with considering how your actions as a reasonable high profile member of society will land with others. Only someone naive would not have seen this coming.

As ever, you have a right to hold your opinion. The fact that it is absolute cack should not be brushed under the carpet.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
As ever, you have a right to hold your opinion. The fact that it is absolute cack should not be brushed under the carpet.

So you are suggesting that the fuss caused by her actions will have come as a complete surprise?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
i can only presume the manufacturers and the shops that sell black face paint are on some level being offensive as well.........the world has gone nuts!!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
i can only presume the manufacturers and the shops that sell black face paint are on some level being offensive as well.........the world has gone nuts!!!

The world has been nuts for a very long time.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So you are suggesting that the fuss caused by her actions will have come as a complete surprise?

To sensible thinking people, yes. She was not dressed up as a golliwog, nor as a B&W minstrel, but as a celebrity, namely Whoopi Goldberg.

How would you prepare your costume so that you had some resemblance to Whoopi?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

i think its abundantly clear that the people that were offended think that when attending a fancy dress party white people should not dress as black people,for balance black people should not dress as white people either.

you should only go as a Whoopi if you are black,go as Churchill if you are white,Gandhi if you are Indian.....the list goes on.

When these morons have finished trivialising racism no one will give a shit about the people trying to raise important issues.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
To be fair, everyone would of known she was Whoopie Goldberg without the blacking up. I once went as Andy Peters to a fancy dress party, I didn't blackup. I just put on a smart shirt and stole the party.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I can't for the life of me figure out why people are getting so angry about the whole thing, on both sides of the debate. Aren't there things actually worth worrying about to focus on?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I can't for the life of me figure out why people are getting so angry about the whole thing, on both sides of the debate. Aren't there things actually worth worrying about to focus on?

Because newspapers, and in this case the left wing do gooders, mock offence actually has some effect on the opinions of people who like to be oh so bang on trend. In time their ill conceived rhetoric actually begins to become part of the fabric of society if left unchallenged, which in turn begins to impact upon the lives of sensible thinking people.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
To sensible thinking people, yes. She was not dressed up as a golliwog, nor as a B&W minstrel, but as a celebrity, namely Whoopi Goldberg.

I would think that sensible thinking people would have seen the fuss coming and made a different choice of costume. Especially those who apparently have some insight into the issue.

Maybe she was challenging societal norms and making a statement about the perception of racism in modern society. In which case good on here for getting the discussion going.

They tried it over here a couple of years ago and just made Chris Isaak walk off a TV show, while making Australian society seem backward and a bit racist.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I would think that sensible thinking people would have seen the fuss coming and made a different choice of costume. Especially those who apparently have some insight into the issue.

Maybe she was challenging societal norms and making a statement about the perception of racism in modern society. In which case good on here for getting the discussion going.

They tried it over here a couple of years ago and just made Chris Isaak walk off a TV show, while making Australian society seem backward and a bit racist.

How long have you been in living in Oz, and how long since your last visit back to the UK Badfish?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
WTF was she meant to do ? She was dressing up as Whoopi Goldberg. She would look an odd Whoopi Goldberg if she stayed white.

She could have chosen someone else to dress up as - Julie Andrews from the Sound of Music, for example.

If "blacking up" wasn't offensive, we would still have the Black and White Minstrel Show, God forbid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports