Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England player in 'blacking up' storm

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Yes it's really stupid to acknowledge history and why that history might affect the way some people view things today. How utterly idiotic of me to use historical context to asses a situation and deem it to be sensitive. Silly me.

No there is nothing wrong with acknowledging things past were wrong, I' m not for one moment suggesting otherwise, our past, along with others at times has been anything but acceptable. but sometimes people are just so over apologetic it's daft. Yours is just daft, move on man. get a sense of proportion ..

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
No there is nothing wrong with acknowledging things past were wrong, I' m not for one moment suggesting otherwise, our past, along with others at times has been anything but acceptable. but sometimes people are just so over apologetic it's daft. Yours is just daft, move on man. get a sense of proportion ..

How is merely acknowledging that it's a sensitive issue being overly apologetic?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
but don't you see, if nobody took any notice who was black and who was white ( as really true non racism would be) then there would be no need to be 'sensitive''apologetic' or anything else.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
If you really don't understand why a white person "blacking up" is a sensitive issue then you really must be a bit dim. Was it racist? Most probably not but the whole concept of black face is steeped in racial prejudice thus it being a sensitive issue.
What is the difference between this and say Michael Jackson??
Could he have been classed as being racist for WHITENING UP or a black clown for putting white face paint on would that be classed as racist.
!!Christ sake it was a fancy dress party
Things are getting ridiculous now

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
And as just a further thought, if 'blacking up' or 'whitening up' is viewed as being insensitive, racist or call it what you will, does that mean if ever I who to a fancy dress party I can only ever go as a black man? (Or white man if I'm white)

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
but don't you see, if nobody took any notice who was black and who was white ( as really true non racism would be) hot hen there would be no need to be 'sensitive''apologetic' or anything else.

I see where you're coming from but unfortunately we don't live on a society where that's the case. I think people can often be very dismissive and defensive in these occasions so I was merely offering a different point of view and I've been labelled a bed wetter because of it. Oh well I'm sure I'll recover.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I see where you're coming from but unfortunately we don't live on a society where that's the case. I think people can often be very dismissive and defensive in these occasions so I was merely offering a different point of view and I've been labelled a bed wetter because of it. Oh well I'm sure I'll recover.

Well if you do wet the bed at least you will get up early :smile:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
What is the difference between this and say Michael Jackson??
Could he have been classed as being racist for WHITENING UP or a black clown for putting white face paint on would that be classed as racist.
!!Christ sake it was a fancy dress party
Things are getting ridiculous now

Well for a start MJ had a skin condition and, again, I never said she was racist.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes it's really stupid to acknowledge history and why that history might affect the way some people view things today. How utterly idiotic of me to use historical context to asses a situation and deem it to be sensitive. Silly me.

As you said earlier, 'early 20th century', it is now early 21st century, how long should we keep apologising for?

Do you advocate the current British government paying compensation to the descendants of slavery?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I see the bed wetters are out in force :lolol:

(I would by the way)

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Maybe she just goes as someone/ something else? Just a thought.

Hey come on midnight, you are digging yourself deeper here, you do have an out ..

As i replied earlier, if blacking or whitening up is unacceptable does this mean that if I go to a fancy dress party then I can only ever go as a black man??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here