Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England player in 'blacking up' storm

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If you don't know that blacking up is regarded by some as racially insensitive then you're a bit thick.

Indeed, the same applies if you don't think that it will make the papers or if you don't think you will face criticism as a person with a public profile.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Is it absolutely ludicrous for anyone (and no doubt it will be mainly white people who claim offence) to be offended by a white person dressing up as a black celebrity at a fancy dress party? Yes.

Is it absolutely ludicrous for anyone with any profile to put themselves in this position by doing it? Yes.

It's utterly pathetic that this country has got to this ridiculous state of affairs, but it has, so if you were famous in any way, why would you put yourself in this position?

Are we the only country in the world that gets worked up, or more accurately, pretends to get worked up by this sort of stuff? We must live in a fantastic place if these of the sorts of things we get worried about.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Is it absolutely ludicrous for anyone (and no doubt it will be mainly white people who claim offence) to be offended by a white person dressing up as a black celebrity at a fancy dress party? Yes.

Is it absolutely ludicrous for anyone with any profile to put themselves in this position by doing it? Yes.

It's utterly pathetic that this country has got to this ridiculous state of affairs, but it has, so if you were famous in any way, why would you put yourself in this position?

Are we the only country in the world that gets worked up, or more accurately, pretends to get worked up by this sort of stuff? We must live in a fantastic place if these of the sorts of things we get worried about.

Yes yes and yes and no, many countries including Australia contain many people who will find this kind of thing offensive. It is not limited to the UK by any means.

(congratulations on the baby by the way )

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
i'm a bit in the dark whats going on here

Some people got offended because some other people got offended about something that no-one should have got offended about, mostly people weren't that surprised but some were and a few people thought we should be talking about something else (where to put a dead dog I think)!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
If you really don't understand why a white person "blacking up" is a sensitive issue then you really must be a bit dim. Was it racist? Most probably not but the whole concept of black face is steeped in racial prejudice thus it being a sensitive issue.

Your post is offensive to any normal thinking person. It verges on the exceptionally stupid.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Your post is offensive to any normal thinking person. It verges on the exceptionally stupid.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. I've reiterated my point several times so I really can't be bothered to be drawn into another lengthy debate but if your only counter to my point, a point that I think is made even more valid every time someone over-reacts and takes what I've said out of context, is that because it differs from your opinion that I am somehow less intelligent than you I'm quite glad that my debating on this thread is over as I'd clearly be outclassed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are we the only country in the world that gets worked up, or more accurately, pretends to get worked up by this sort of stuff?

Er, no.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm with Merry Prankster on this. Also, I really cannot be bothered to get fully drawn into one of these totally dead-end debates with the usual bell-ends.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Now this was shocking...

White_chicks.jpg

IMDB gives it a 5.3; I gave it a raspberry and a 2.2 and chastised myself for watching the whole thing.

Is it true the original screenplay title was "White Chicks With Black Dicks" ?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If you don't know that blacking up is regarded by some as racially insensitive then you're a bit thick.

I guess that depends if you value the opinion of those that find it racially insensitive. Middle class white people- No, black people who it has causes genuine offence- yes. I wonder if anyone thought to ask them.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I see Peter Herbert has waded into the debate now and called for her to be suspended from England duty indefinitely and fined for her grossly insensitive and offensive behaviour.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton

Spot on Commander !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton

Spot on Commander !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here