Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England player in 'blacking up' storm

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Well that's the official line anyway. I've no evidence either way

He did, he had vitiligo, which was confirmed in his autopsy.

Yes he did but it doesn't make your whole face go white

It was confirmed that he was prescribed a 'bleaching agent' in form of a creme which he applied for years and years. He got his assistant/s to apply it for him when he was ill.

To the original post. A woman went to a party in fancy dress as a famous black woman. There was no hidden agenda, it was simply 'dressing up'.
I don't know why people invent 'racial' motives into an entirely innocent act.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Maybe she just goes as someone/ something else? Just a thought.

Why not - if you enjoyed watching Sister Act why would shouldn't you go as the lead character?

If you have watched the Film Whoopi Goldbergs role was hardly a depiction of a racially repressed woman was it?

And why wouldn't you try and look as much as you could as her if it was a Fancy Dress Party?

There do seem to be a lot of people who wish to be offended on behalf of others. Just a thought.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Yes but unfortunately due to the first half of 20th century that is easier said than done. I said in my very first post I didn't consider it to be racist in the slightest just a sensitive issue due to black face being used a form of racially insensitive entertainment in the early 20th century.

I get what it used to be and I'm not saying you're the one being offended. I just wish we could all just get on with our lives without worrying so much about offending others. She was dressed as Whoopi Goldberg FFS.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You have to be pretty naive to think that people are not going to criticise you for blacking up to go to a party. You have to be pretty ignorant to not understand why, a quick Google will tell you.

Having said that it would be nice to live in a world where racial tension and the effects of the past were not still felt. We are not there yet so a little thought sensitivity is required.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So 90% of NSC (those with an IQ over 3) aren't offended, don't think it's PC Gone Mad and have agreed that there is no story

I wonder what the OP hoped to achieve by posting it ? :whistle:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Hey come on midnight, you are digging yourself deeper here, you do have an out ..

As i replied earlier, if blacking or whitening up is unacceptable does this mean that if I go to a fancy dress party then I can only ever go as a black man??

I just think it's naive for a public figure and a staunch advocate of an anti racism cainpaign to black up and not expect criticsm.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I just think it's naive for a public figure and a staunch advocate of an anti racism cainpaign to black up and not expect criticsm.

Personally I don't, but that's my view point, and I appreciate your right to yours.
But isn't it just plain old sad that it got to the stage where none of us dare see beyond the colour and dress up as we like, without causing offence, without it being deemed insensitive, without it being deemed racist and it not being for any other reason than just folks having innocent fun?

Idealistic view? Yes most likely. But oh my word, wouldn't it just be so sweet?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Personally I don't, but that's my view point, and I appreciate your right to yours.
But isn't it just plain old sad that it got to the stage where none of us dare see beyond the colour and dress up as we like, without causing offence, without it being deemed insensitive, without it being deemed racist and it not being for any other reason than just folks having innocent fun?

You'll have no argument from me on that.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
You'll have no argument from me on that.

So, just assuming your a white guy (probably wrongly) and just assuming that I'm a black guy(maybe wrongly) how about we have a party, you black up and go as me, and I get out the talcum powder and go as you, shall we both not be offended, or we both be honoured someone took the time to be us?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Lets hope we get there one day. But IMHO we have a fair way to go.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Q. What's a vicar's favourite vice?

A. Nun

Q. What's a smurf vicar's favourite vice?

A. Blue Nun

Two nuns in the bath. One says wears the soap? The other says yes it does doesn't it.

I'll stop now. These gags are a dreadful habit of mine.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Lets hope we get there one day. But IMHO we have a fair way to go.

For sure we have, but the quickest darn way is for all of us to stop the time wasting unneeded upfront apologies that detract from the issues.if you are white you are white, if I'm black, I'm black, if you come from mars you are probably green?

If you know racism is wrong, great.
If you keep apologising you waiting time
We know history show all sides of the divide have done wrong
Let's just look to a future and channel energies into what will improve things

Right I'm off my soap box now..

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think there's been an over-reaction to midnight_rendezvous' posts here. Very similar in tone to the media over-reaction to Toni Duggan's choice of fancy dress.

People are addicted to the drama.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I think there's been an over-reaction to midnight_rendezvous' posts here. Very similar in tone to the media over-reaction to Toni Duggan's choice of fancy dress.

People are addicted to the drama.

Don't think there's any over reactions. I think it's been a good post and good replies, Its a genuine q's and a's, let's not stifle that!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm going to be offended on behalf of Christians as she is clearly mocking the faith, hopefully she will be forced to apologise for that as well.

Don't think you need to do it on their behalf, I am sure they can manage it themselves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here