Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Eng v Ind - 5th Test - Edgbaston kick-off 11am

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The thing is, T20 has been a force for the good. It is basically 50 over cricket without the boring middle overs, it promotes athletic fielding and catching, speed of play and obviously big hitting. Plus you get to see a game with a result in a single evening, so it is marketable. The IPL (and the Big Bash to a lesser extent) has been absolutely outstanding entertainment and attracted huge crowds. The Hundred is trying to leverage this sort of big city, big stadium marketability and we can debate the whys and wherefores of that.

But 60 ball cricket? What does that add? Absolute shite.

I do watch the 20 over home tournament. Even if I'm not best keen on it. I say best keen on it, if it was just left at that I'd be fine.

I remember having a conversation at an Albion friendly at Lewes in 2014. We were both watching the cricket over the wall rather than the Albion. He told me about how 20 over cricket was needed for the financial future of the game. I changed my view and have even attended a Sussex match. I refuse to call them the Sharks and am not best pleased at the adultery committed to the Sussex badge. The merchandise there is poor anyway. I'm not convinced the new names make a difference anyway and I'm glad some counties have said no.

The IPL they can stick up their Bumrah. It's franchise cricket. I don't watch it, and The Hundred- we are all spitting over that.

But if they need to reduce it to 60 balls for those with the attention span of a demented goldfish then it really is it.

Cricket began to die in the 90s and especially when it left terrestrial. It's tough for me. I've loved the game for 40 years and it's like watching a loved one slowly lose their mind. I know I can't stop whining about it. But it hurts to see it.

Seeing Test devotees on cricket threads here warms me. But I'm aware that, at 53, I'm probably amongst the younger ones. That's a red flag really.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Another one bounced out... Shami top edges a short one from Stokes (despite Nasser whinging at lunchtime about too much short pitched bowling!)... 230-8, lead 362

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Screenshot_20220704-133245~2.png

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
India 245 all out.

190-4 to 245 all out - a great performance from the England bowlers, lead by Ben Stokes 11.5-0-33-4 :clap2:

England need a record chase of 378 to win, with masses of time and the weather set fair.

There will be a result, one way or the other - let's hope it is at least close :)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The thing is, T20 has been a force for the good. It is basically 50 over cricket without the boring middle overs, it promotes athletic fielding and catching, speed of play and obviously big hitting. Plus you get to see a game with a result in a single evening, so it is marketable. The IPL (and the Big Bash to a lesser extent) has been absolutely outstanding entertainment and attracted huge crowds. The Hundred is trying to leverage this sort of big city, big stadium marketability and we can debate the whys and wherefores of that.

But 60 ball cricket? What does that add? Absolute shite.

Love to see a 40 over comp again.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
And for those who don't know. Just in case it couldn't get any worse.

Sorry to bring this news to your door.

RIP Cricket

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/61899721

Why don't we just have a format where there is no cricket at all ? That might be best for those with the attention span of a goldfish.

Isn’t this just the Abu Dhabi T10 cricket in a different location?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Dhabi_T10

Can just about excuse that competition as it is held in northern hemisphere winter when there is no local cricket season to disrupt.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I still think we're loose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here