Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Eng v Ind - 5th Test - Edgbaston kick-off 11am

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
35 runs from an over bowling against the 10/11 batsman, unbelievable.

Stokes lost the plot captaincy wise during that Pant/Jadeja partnership.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

He did, especially his own bowling. No ball once perhaps but then alter your run up backwards. There's no excuse.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Crawley isn’t going to last long, that much is obvious. 2 down by Lunch.

If we had full fit seam attack Broad shouldn’t be near this side, his form recently has been poor.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Probably heresy, but I’m not a fan of Broad. I don’t like him.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Crawley isn’t going to last long, that much is obvious. 2 down by Lunch.

If we had full fit seam attack Broad shouldn’t be near this side, his form recently has been poor.

Not the most difficult prediction was it? Crawley has to go - get Phil Salt in there!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Spectacular missed catch off a wayward Stokes shot

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Bowl at the stumps FFS. Tail enders miss straight balls

We do this all the time, trying to smash the tail enders out instead of bowling at them like they were the openers. Bowl at tail enders the same way you bowl at good batters. Uuuurgh.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Brainless from Stokes, absolutely idiotic.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Brainless from Stokes, absolutely idiotic.

Difference between him and Bairstow. Commentary doesn't seem to get it.

Bairstow can translate white ball, his greatest strength, to red ball. He is also aware that he can de-risk when the bowling is sharp or the conditions dictate. So this new approach is perfect for his game. He was always going to be the biggest benefactor. He can turn it off and turn it on.

Stokes doesn't seem to understand this. Which is a shame. As he is a decent Test batsman. He needs to think about that- especially as he is captain.

I'm a traditionalist. But I'm not against this approach. It's very enjoyable. Bairstow has made it that way, but Stokes is undermining it. He's not learning when to pipe down.

Stokes is a better batsman than he is playing. Bairstow is playing in a way that has made him a better batsman.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I know we edging into avoiding a follow-on situation but say we are skittled after Lunch what do India do?

I know enforcing follow-ons isn't fashionable anymore but with a Top Order like we have I might well tell Stokes to have a Second Dig...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know we edging into avoiding a follow-on situation but say we are skittled after Lunch what do India do?

I know enforcing follow-ons isn't fashionable anymore but with a Top Order like we have I might well tell Stokes to have a Second Dig...

Unlikely to have the chance but if they did would be interesting to see what they would do. Given how England have nailed 4th innings chases this summer must be an option, but also risks India having a tricky few sessions on the final day if we managed to post some form of target. Bloody love test cricket :D

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I think the weather forecast is good from here. So I wouldn't enforce the follow on if the wicket is withering.

It's interesting how it's avoided these days. All stems back to the Australia v India match in 2001. England nearly tripped up at a few years later.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think the weather forecast is good from here. So I wouldn't enforce the follow on if the wicket is withering.

It's interesting how it's avoided these days. All stems back to the Australia v India match in 2001. England nearly tripped up at a few years later.

Remember that game….quite freakish, I think Laxman and Dravid put on almost 400 or something

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Bairstow gifted his Century, but who cares?

E.X Tras will be heading past Root into 2nd place shortly.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here