Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Embarrassing, it’s an absolute disgrace"

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Was he talking about the decision not to send off Haverrtz in the first half? That was far worse than the decision to allow the Newcastle goal.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
To be fair the ball looked like it went out of play during the VAR review, or do people think that stayed in play?

1000001257.png

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The laws of the game need a serious rethink in light of VAR.
It has changed the game in many more ways than were considered from the outset.

• Unnecessary delays to the game
  • ruling out goals which would not have been challenged, before the technology existed
  • Changing the way defenders have to defend in the box
  • Increased injuries due to the average length of playing time
I would suggest they take a leaf out of cricket's book and introduce the concept of appeals and referees calls.
Checking every aspect of every goal, often, when no offense was identified in real time, is ludicrous.
Teams would have to be specific about what they were appealing for and be limited to 2 incorrect reviews per game.

It may not have helped in this case, but it would have taken the pressure off the VAR officials to focus on the one offense the defenders believed to have happened.

Far easier for them to say, yes or no to that call, than to analyse every aspect of a goal and judge whether or not the ref's decision was ok or not.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Supporters from every club should by now be sick to the death of VAR and 100% it's time for a good old fashion nationwide protest,I'm going to glue myself to a pub chair until VAR is dead.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
What I don't understand is why VAR couldn't say to the ref, "go to the monitor and check the foul, we will look at whether the ball was out or offside".
I do think the system would work better,if the control of the system was in the hands of the ref. E.g the ref should be able to say, I think that was a goal, but there may have been a push, so I want to check it. The VAR is trying to second guess what the ref is thinking, and only intervenes on the clear and obvious error, whatever that is. The ref is not seeing what we are in TV and only gets to see it if VAR thinks it meets the threshold which is mad.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Surely not ..Gary N said it was a perfectly good challenge …although if the Glaziers had a hand on his back he would have thought differently
I think they thought he was already on the way down and I kind of agreed with them tbh.

The ball being out is similar to the argument at the World Cup, the overhang of the sphere and the lack of camera angles meant they couldn’t tell and again, I agree, I think it looks like the side of the ball could still be in given it’s not far over the line. Can’t say for sure it’s out.

Arsenal had 1 shot on target the whole game, the main person Arteta should be shouting at is himself.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Supporters from every club should by now be sick to the death of VAR and 100% it's time for a good old fashion nationwide protest,I'm going to glue myself to a pub chair until VAR is dead.
Remember it is only the top clubs that are affected. If we were in our historical position of 3rd or 4th division we would be all saying “ look at them premier wankers moaning, they should look at us playing Rochdale on a muddy pitch, then they would be proper fans”.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Also time for VAR for offsides to be binned or redefined. The system is flawed, and effectively no better than the linesman's flag
Redefined, not binned.
Same with Penalty decisions.
The Technology was bought in to help precisely these decisions and is having the opposite effect.

Way too many penalties given, leading to increased appeals and dives.
Way too many goals being ruled out for dubious offsides.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Also time for VAR for offsides to be binned or redefined. The system is flawed, and effectively no better than the linesman's flag
The law needs changed tbh. Nobody likes the current ‘rule it out for half a toe being out of line’ laws. It needs to go back to the original purpose of being there to prevent people hanging around the goal, not ruling out players fractionally ahead of each other.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Could they implement more cameras at better angles for offside calls or if the ball was off the pitch?
They used an effective technological system for calling offsides during the 2022 World Cup, and I think it is also used in the Champions League, but this system is not installed for the Premier League, mind-baffling.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Could they implement more cameras at better angles for offside calls or if the ball was off the pitch?
They used an effective technological system for calling offsides during the 2022 World Cup, and I think it is also used in the Champions League, but this system is not installed for the Premier League, mind-baffling.
Because the PL voted down Semi automated offline being bought in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here