Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elphick's treatment today...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So its Elphicks turn to be a disgrace to the human race at the moment then.
Oh well. Gives El Abd a break for a while I suppose.

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Tommy is a decent young player whos confidence is all over the place at the moment. From what i saw in j block when tommy came off was the tommy was not too happy with his perfomance, slaped virgos and dean whites hands. Slade never even looked at tommy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To change Elphick at half time would have destroyed what little confidence he does have. I think that Slade dropped the wrong centre back to start with and should have started with Virgo and Tunnicliffe.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I thought Virgo was particularly poor when he came on. One decent pass along the floor, but the rest of the time he looked panicked. There was one moment when we could have launched a counter attack, but instead he headed aimlessly, when all it needed was a knock down to El-Abd, who was waiting in front of him.

I don't think that Elphick and Virgo are spent forces, I think it is just a matter of confidence. If we had McNulty was immediatly available then I would not be against a back line of Hoyte - Tunnicliffe - El-Abd - McNulty for the time being.

I see Whing is due back soon.

Gone the days when Elphick was one of the most reliable and consistent center backs in the division. Gone the days when he always seemed to have two yards on the attacker and powerfully headed every long ball away. gone the days when he was so affective he more than helped us finish 7th in the league and was linked with Wolves. Can we blame Slade? maybe. But he was under the instructions of Adams and White/Booker as well.

It seems that as Butters, Wilkins and Chapman went... so did most of Elphicks talent. You may also remember we went 6 games unbeaten at the start of Adams reign and at that stage he was again paired with an old head... Colin Hawkins. I really don't think that a Hawkins/Elphick or Hawkins/Tunnicliife partnership should be discarded.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
FFS Elphick had a bad game & Slade rightly subbed him. How do you make an issue out of that? Imagine the stick Slade would have got if he left him on.

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
It seems that as Butters, Wilkins and Chapman went... so did most of Elphicks talent. You may also remember we went 6 games unbeaten at the start of Adams reign and at that stage he was again paired with an old head... Colin Hawkins. I really don't think that a Hawkins/Elphick or Hawkins/Tunnicliife partnership should be discarded.

not to mention lynch's departure. hawkins coming back has got calamity written all over it - his previous appearance of the season shows this

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought Virgo was particularly poor when he came on. One decent pass along the floor, but the rest of the time he looked panicked. There was one moment when we could have launched a counter attack, but instead he headed aimlessly, when all it needed was a knock down to El-Abd, who was waiting in front of him.

I don't think that Elphick and Virgo are spent forces, I think it is just a matter of confidence. If we had McNulty was immediatly available then I would not be against a back line of Hoyte - Tunnicliffe - El-Abd - McNulty for the time being.

I see Whing is due back soon.

Sorry must disagree completely as IMHO Virgo came on and did what we needed he cleared our lines very effectively.

I am even more worried that Whing is coming back as he is not 1/50th the player Hoyte is and I would sooner we tried to get him on loan for the season.

Arsenal are going to let him play in the FA cup so he is not in their plans this season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When everyone is fit

Hoyte/Whing when Hoyte's gone - Tunnicliffe - WRIGHT - McNulty

Everyone goes on about experience and Butters being with him, but I saw the best of Elphick when he was with Lynch, another youngster. The above 4 are the 4 best defenders at the club at the moment.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well, I guess you could say he did clear the lines, but there were moments when the ball was aimlessly lofted into the air by head or by foot and turning over possession and not far from the danger zone.

The game was there for the taking and it just needed a little bit of composure. It shouldn't have been a case of just smashing it clear. We were not under a massive amount of pressure.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Everyone goes on about experience and Butters being with him, but I saw the best of Elphick when he was with Lynch, another youngster. The above 4 are the 4 best defenders at the club at the moment.

yeah, but lynch and his partner dont post on nsc so there is no need to mention him :thumbsup:

Get over the fact that Elphick isn't a good defender, will you?

All this GUFF about "oh but his confidence/he needs his hand held by an experienced old player/he has potential" and all this SHIT.

He fades away from the player with the ball bearing down on our goal, to follow a marker out wide! That is CRAP, my GRAN would have more defensive nouse!
DROP ELPHICK, HE'S JUST A TAILOR'S DUMMY FOR THE BHA KIT.
Recognize a poor defender when you see one, for fuxsake!!

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I feel sorry, in a way for Elf. I don't think he missed one header this afternoon. But when he is defending high up the field, he makes mistakes. I can't remember which H'pool goal it was, but he made a suicide pass across the park, which led to the goal.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The third I think. You can see that they are trying to cut out the aimless hoofing, but that pass could have cost us the game completely. As shame as the rest of his passing was relatively good.

I don't think that he should be written off just yet.

I feel sorry, in a way for Elf. I don't think he missed one header this afternoon. But when he is defending high up the field, he makes mistakes. I can't remember which H'pool goal it was, but he made a suicide pass across the park, which led to the goal.

That would be the 3rd goal, when we were supposed to be on the attack and had everyone forward, but deemed it necessary to play back to the halfway line and lose the ball there. :shootself `~#

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Elphick needs to be taken out of the firing line for a couple of weeks.

I agree,Elphick is a fair player,who will make a living around the lower leagues.This time is important to him,to realize what potential he might have,or he could lose what he already has achieved,Slade etc have a large part to play !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here