Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easy Money

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bozza said:
So, presumably given how 'sure' a thing Pipex is, you will be unloading every pound, penny and cent onto it at 8am tomorrow morning when the LSE opens?

No point for me as I have a healthy stake already, just giving eveyone else the option to join the party.

Be warned though at 17p some are saying only to 20p but other analyst state 25p.

Should be an interesting morning tomorrow.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Beach Hut said:
No point for me as I have a healthy stake already, just giving eveyone else the option to join the party.

Be warned though at 17p some are saying only to 20p but other analyst state 25p.

Very weak, very weak. You know that if the take out price was a nailed on 20p, then they would be trading at 20p already, right? You know that there are people with access to far better information than you, with far more money than you?

I thought you did your own research. I expected that research to be somewhat deeper than "an analyst says they will go to 20p, another says 25p".

If this is as good as you've got, then I suggest you stick any lucky profits in your back pocket and reflect that almost any stock listed on the LSE has analysts and brokers forecasting a price higher than the current price. Yet most don't get there.

Can you give us a run down of your other investments, past and present?

Tom Hark said:
The main thing about playing the stock market is that you're not going to lose your entire stake unless you're completely moronic or the unluckiest man to ever walk the face of the earth. You'll just lose a bit of your stake, or make a bit on top of it. With gambling it's just shit or bust. The rates of return are obviously much higher, but so are the chances of losing your entire stake. And roulette seems to me to be the dumbest thing in the world.

If you buy on margin, you can certainly lose more than you put in. Anyway, you are talking about single throws of the dice as stakes - most gamblers don't put their whole worth on a bet, just as investors usually don't put all their eggs in one basket - so it's swings and roundabouts. Horses are a short term 'investment' gamble, and stocks are mostly long-term. Both can lose you money, even if you are smart, often lucky, have a nailed-on tip backed by sound information and research, got a sensible forecast, or tons of faith.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Beach Hut said:

But what did YOUR research suggest?

You must know more than these analysts as all of the facts and strong rumours are already factored in to the price. Buy the rumour, sell the fact, etc...

Oh - and if anyone wants to know the winner of the 16:00 at Cheltenham on 16th March.... I had £5 e/w :thumbsup:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
nail-Z-gull said:
But what did YOUR research suggest?

Over a year ago this lot would be put up for sale at some point as when you are the 6th biggest provider that's what happens.

And look what has happened.....................

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Beach Hut said:
Over a year ago this lot would be put up for sale at some point as when you are the 6th biggest provider that's what happens.

And look what has happened.....................

Of course. And there was no possibility of the price plunging, before any subsequent bid approach and any bid price being lower than your lucky purchase price.

Let's ignore the fact that it was 100% guaranteed that Pipex would be taken over because it wasn't guaranteed at all, your gamble has proven to be lucky in that regard.

As you are such a shrewd and sophisitcated investor, could you share some of your analysis with us regards to the valuation of the company when you decided to get on large, the fundamentals of the company, and how you actually valued the company and for what reasons. As you are so keen to help boost the wealth of NSCers everywhere, this info would probably help many appraise 'investment' decisions.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
NMH said:
How is the smart money doing this bright morning? What's the trend with this 'Pipex' then?

Any updates ?

One can only assume Beach hut is in the Maldives having congratulated himself on his financial mastery.

Either that, or he is still round and about in cloud cuckoo land somewhere.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm going to put everything I have into these babies... which is about £20.24. :(

Despite Beach Huts assurances (I mean it's not a gamble, there's no risk involved) everyone this morning has been selling. 4 firms with holdings over 1% (including HBOS and Aviva) have all sold shares at between 16¾ and 17¼p this morning, while no-one has bought into them large.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tom Hark said:
The main thing about playing the stock market is that you're not going to lose your entire stake ......... You'll just lose a bit of your stake, or make a bit on top of it. With gambling it's just shit or bust. The rates of return are obviously much higher, but so are the chances of losing your entire stake.

Have you never heard of spread betting?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hannibal smith said:
Either that, or he is still round and about in cloud cuckoo land somewhere.

Still here thanks

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
sten_super said:
Still believing that there is no risk involved in investing in the stock market? :jester:

No this one is a sure thing - trust me

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Beach Hut said:
No this one is a sure thing - trust me

Right. No risk whatsoever? So (a) How come they have gone down in value today? and (b) Your not prepared to stake every single spare penny you have in them? Dress it up all you like. The Stock market is gambling same as the horses or Poker or whatever. The only thing that is different is that the risk and rewards vary in each. The only reason why you don’t class this as gambling is to justify it to yourself.

Don’t bother to reply. I may as well argue the moon is made of cheese given your ability to listen to anything rational by anyone else on this thread.

Woodchip said:
You sound like GG.

That's just what I was thinking!

The thing is, this will come off, and Beach Hut will come back and say "look I told you it would come off". But that will be missing the point. The risk may in this case be small, but there is still a risk. And if there is risk involved, then it's a gamble. As someone said earlier in the thread, a gambler looks for value. A gambler thinks they have more or better information than the market, so takes the odds on display. In betting, this means a team being shown at 5/1 to win, and the person betting thinking that they are better than 5/1 to win, therefore creating value in the bet. In investment, the investor thinks they have better information than the stock market, and so the stock is undervalued, thereby creating value.

But, from what I've read so far in this thread, I suspect that Hannibal is right, and there's going to be no persuading you that investing is gambling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here