Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Early leavers

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I left 2 mins into injury time, 12 years gives me the knowledge that any later and it adds about 45 minutes to my journey home. Had to be up at 5.45 for work knowing I would be missing 2 staff today.

Am I gutted me and the Mrs missed the late drama? Of course

8pm kick offs are rubbish for those of us up early for work the next day

The analogy of the cinema doesn’t work, i wouldn’t go to the cinema leaving just before 10pm when I’ve got work in the morning

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
This again, how tedious. Who cares, it's their prerogative
It's a free country, but I just can't understand it. As a comparison, I have seen people stand up and leave the cinema 20 mins into a film as they realise it's not their cup of tea, but never 5 mins before the end..!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's a free country, but I just can't understand it. As a comparison, I have seen people stand up and leave the cinema 20 mins into a film as they realise it's not their cup of tea, but never 5 mins before the end..!
We got up and left 20 minutes into that Jar Jar Binks Star Wars film, utter, utter toilet. Didn’t even think to try for a refund, just had to get as far away from that cinema as quickly as possible.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
At this stage all that matters are the three points not who left early and missed the drama. TBF I’m first row of the NS and will always have that memory of a World Cup winner screaming come on in my face after slamming home his pen.
Would of been gutted to miss that.
Justice! You give on one hand...and then take away with the other!!! :ohmy:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
No comparison - if I go to the cinema I choose when, where and what time is most convenient for me.

Go to football and none of that applies - TV, the FA and, to some extent, the clubs make the decisions - the fans convenience when making these decisions seems to have a very low priority.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
What I wrote on the other thread about this exact same thing:

I took my 12 year old, we left at 88 and missed it - there were empty seats around us the whole game so it isn’t as though we “stole” someone else’s seat.

We got home just after 11, if we had of stayed until the end, I’d guess after midnight.

When he is older we will stay longer.

I found the whole match electrifying, it was a fantastic game to watch, we were sitting in E1H next to the manure fans and thoroughly enjoyed screaming at rashford he was a cheat for diving and booing Bruno when he took his corner.

Do I wish I’d of seen us score and sing at them? Yes 100%. Will I see us score and beat manure again? Yes, 100%.

I paid and got a thoroughly great night out, with a massive cherry on top on the way home.

This always comes up but it is what it is.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
There’s different sort of crowds and being spaced out in a stadium is different to being in the crush of the train queue. I’m just trying to point out there are reasons people leave early and everyone is different. Maybe ask them why they leave early rather than talking about them on an internet forum?
Precisely … I stay until the end … and it’s not my place to question why someone leaves early. In a crowd of 31,500 there will be so many different scenarios for people driving the decisions they need to make.

Theres enough going on in this world to worry about or get angry about … but people leaving early at a game of football isn’t one for me! And it doesn’t concern me so that I’d need to question why they do it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I left before the penalty. I live closer than many, but bollocks to that insane stampede to the station after an 8pm kick-off. Really can't be doing with it. Didn't miss the goal tho. Was sat next to a ManU fan on the train back into town. Watched the penalty on his phone. He wasn't very happy :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
East (usually the most empty before the end) way fuller than normal at almost FT imo……

95B73646-EB12-431C-99A3-5AC5AECC6806.jpeg

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
No comparison - if I go to the cinema I choose when, where and what time is most convenient for me.

Go to football and none of that applies - TV, the FA and, to some extent, the clubs make the decisions - the fans convenience when making these decisions seems to have a very low priority.
You would have a case if it didn't happen at every match regardless of KO time; there were a lot of empty seats at the end of the Wolves game (apart from the deserted away end) on a lovely sunny afternoon. Instead of living in the moment a lot of people seem to fret about spending an extra 10 mins getting out of the car park...

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
There’s different sort of crowds and being spaced out in a stadium is different to being in the crush of the train queue. I’m just trying to point out there are reasons people leave early and everyone is different. Maybe ask them why they leave early rather than talking about them on an internet forum?
One of my sons is on the Autistic Spectrum and whilst sitting in the stadium is fine (albeit the noise when we score can be a bit of a challenge) being in a crush, very slowly shuffling along shoulder to shoulder with others, can be a real challenge. It's one of those things which is an invisible issue, unlike, say, someone with a broken leg or whatever.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I noticed that the fans near me who are normally early leavers stayed in their seats on Thursday night until the final whistle. Smart cookies. They could smell blood. Good on ‘em.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Not with that tacky Euro tune surely?! The Zap was WAY better than that ;)

If I'd be there last night, I would have missed the goal as always leave on 90 mins to get the train from Falmer to Lewes and then onto home. No biggie, I can live with missing the odd goal in injury time against waiting for ages at the station for a train. Each to their own I say
f*** that!
I would happily spend an hour waiting for a train , than miss a stoppage time winner against Man Utd.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Would you leave 10 minutes before the end of a movie or a play?
On Thursday I was thinking of leaving before the final whistle just to try and get on the first round of P&R buses for Mill Road, which would probably have meant I got home by about 11.30 rather than 12.20 - and I already felt knackered.

that idea was put on hold when I was trying to work out whether he had blown for full time, and what weren’t the players moving off the pitch. Then the VAR thing went up.

Glad I didn’t leave early, but it’s a 60+ mile journey home which does it. If I go to a movie or a play, it’s likely to be nearer to home.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why doesn’t anyone start the moralistic must leave on 40mins to get a pint and not arrive back until the 50th minute thread…….
Saw plenty of people who missed our fifth goal against Wolves because they were still drinking their pint. Could have started a self-righteous, smug thread about it to prove I’m a true fan, but didn’t bother because I’m not a tedious twerp.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Mrs H asked this when we were watching on holiday on Thursday.

Why do people pay full price for a ticket and then leave before the end?, she used the analogy of a West End musical.

You wouldn’t leave 10 minutes before the end of Les Mis, or Mamma Mia, so why is the Albion any different?

Quite an rational argument from someone who freely admits the Albion is not really her thing, but on the dozen or so times she has attended in over 30 years of marriage she’s always heard the final whistle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here