Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dyche still after Stephens

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
His worth to us has increased because of our league position, and at the very same time, his perceived value to potential buyers (i.e. what they'd HOPE to get him for) has gone DOWN, as he is that much closer to the end of his contract. Thus the disparity between these two figures has grown still wider, and with it the chances of an offer coming in that would be entertained, are all but zero.

IMO like.
Spot on.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
His worth to us has increased because of our league position, and at the very same time, his perceived value to potential buyers (i.e. what they'd HOPE to get him for) has gone DOWN, as he is that much closer to the end of his contract. Thus the disparity between these two figures has grown still wider, and with it the chances of an offer coming in that would be entertained, are all but zero.

IMO like.

True but I think the other thing to consider is that he is wanted by a number of clubs and the chances are that if a big enough offer comes in then we will be forced to sell regardless of his importance to us. So...do clubs sit on their hands until the summer and risk this much sought after player going elsewhere or do they come in with bids in January which would be their best chance of getting him?

There will be bids in January for sure and his perceived value will then go back up to the market rate and then some if there is a bidding war (and even more so if Palace are the ones making the bid).

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Point taken, but you can make an educated guess. Here is what we know:

1) we rejected £8m for him in the summer

I actually think he's worth nearer £20m to us (how much is Prem football worth?), but I suspect something below that would test Bloom's resolve. If we do go up, we need to pay this man his money and keep him. He's a proper Premier league player.

Actually if you listen to Tony Bloom in the forum at Bristol, he stated the last bid from Burnley, we think was around £8 mill. TB stated that bid came in too late and had this bid been in early August then he hinted he could have accepted. So with Burnley reported to be offering £6 million in January and with Palace coming in to possibly compete and up that figure, it is possible that the £8 mill figure could come in again ,which I felt he hinted he wold have accepted. Whether our current position and the managers view to how important Stephens is to our promotion bid changes that value, only TB and CH will know.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Actually if you listen to Tony Bloom in the forum at Bristol, he stated the last bid from Burnley, we think was around £8 mill. TB stated that bid came in too late and had this bid been in early August then he hinted he could have accepted. So with Burnley reported to be offering £6 million in January and with Palace coming in to possibly compete and up that figure, it is possible that the £8 mill figure could come in again ,which I felt he hinted he wold have accepted. Whether our current position and the managers view to how important Stephens is to our promotion bid changes that, only TB and CH will know.

Bloom's point was that had an acceptable bid been made, at a stage that gave the club time to source a replacement, then a dialogue could start.

Smack in the middle of a run of games in January, transfer window or otherwise, does not offer the same opportunity.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would expect and hope that CH and his team have made contingency plans should any club offer a bid that is too good to refuse. They have had 6 months to monitor the market and possible availability of players.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Bloom's point was that had an acceptable bid been made, at a stage that gave the club time to source a replacement, then a dialogue could start.

Smack in the middle of a run of games in January, transfer window or otherwise, does not offer the same opportunity.
I agree that TB said the top offer came in too late and the club would not have had time to react. But we are a couple of months from the window and I do feel that offer maybe reached again or even bettered, so they could be looking for a replacement/replacements now and possibly use some of the money for other areas of the team.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Actually if you listen to Tony Bloom in the forum at Bristol, he stated the last bid from Burnley, we think was around £8 mill. TB stated that bid came in too late and had this bid been in early August then he hinted he could have accepted. So with Burnley reported to be offering £6 million in January and with Palace coming in to possibly compete and up that figure, it is possible that the £8 mill figure could come in again ,which I felt he hinted he wold have accepted. Whether our current position and the managers view to how important Stephens is to our promotion bid changes that value, only TB and CH will know.

The goalposts have moved though. We are in pole position for promotion, so he's worth more to us than the £8m it might rise to. I suspect HKFC nailed it earlier on. He's worth far more to us than he is to Stoke, Burnley or the Nigels.

And talking of the Nigels, if we go up and they go down, it would be lovely touch to see Bloom offer them a derisory figure for Benteke, say £3m, whether Hughton wants him or not. :thumbsup:

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Will completely depend on whether CH identifies an achievable replacement in Jan. If we have one lined up, knowing us at a reasonable fee, then I could see DS going, especially if that increases the pot for a striker.
If we haven't then not a chance he'll be allowed to leave.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its an interesting one, we have it rammed down our throats how much the club is losing, Tony Bloom spending £200m etc, yet talks of rejecting £6m-£8m bids for a player with 6 months left who probably won't be with us next season

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Absolute crazy talk!

When will people learn, you cannot sell your best players and expect to get promoted. What happens if Sidwell and Kayal are out at the same time? Norwood is ok but nowhere near as good as the others, and Towell is still untested and has been injured for a third of the season.

Absolutely this. This is no time to cash in on any of our first team players. It's a 46 game season and we'll need everyone we hav at our disposal.

If Stephens goes in the summer for nothing then that is his perogative, as it stands we cannot take his or our midfield starters performances for granted.

With a prize in excess of £100MILLION beig dangled in front, sums such as £10m seem like pocket change. Now we have set our stall out to make a serious challenge for the top two places we cannot allow that to be derailed by unneccessary sales.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Its an interesting one, we have it rammed down our throats how much the club is losing, Tony Bloom spending £200m etc, yet talks of rejecting £6m-£8m bids for a player with 6 months left who probably won't be with us next season

Absolutely. And can we really afford let that money go, that after all could be used to strengthen without TB putting his hand in his pocket further.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
sidwell is a better player than stephens....and he's not such a hot head ......let stephens go then for 8 million....and we'll all piss ourselves next season when we pas them on the way up as they are coming down....(burnley new hate club...sean dyche=orrible cant) whatever will be will be ...it would be a shame to see a great team pulled apart just because of some greedy northern **** but thats the way it goes i guess...i actually have gone right off him...!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Absolutely. And can we really afford let that money go, that after all could be used to strengthen without TB putting his hand in his pocket further.
Yes, of course we can afford it if Tony is prepared to - the prize is £100 million per year, Stephens' sale fee would be pennies in comparison and risk Tony having to fund more £18 million pound loss seasons year after year.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
sidwell is a better player than stephens....and he's not such a hot head ......let stephens go then for 8 million....and we'll all piss ourselves next season when we pas them on the way up as they are coming down....(burnley new hate club...sean dyche=orrible cant) whatever will be will be ...it would be a shame to see a great team pulled apart just because of some greedy northern **** but thats the way it goes i guess...i actually have gone right off him...!!

Slightly harsh I feel. He had his head turned, but his disappointment has passed and unlike, say, Joey Barton he has knuckled down and performed every bit as well as he did last season. I hold no grudge towards Stephens at all.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It'll depend on the player. If Stephens insists that he wants to go to [insert club name here] and jumps up and down (publicly or in private) to say so, he will probably go. If he does not insist he wants to go and is happy to see out his contract, then he'll stay unless Brighton receive an offer they want to accept AND that offer comes from a place Stephens wants to move to.

There's no doubt that, as long as he doesn't get injured, he'll do better financially by waiting till summer. There's also the advantage that in summer he'll know what division the team he signs for will be in, in 2017-18. As Burnley probably won't bid an amount Brighton will accept in January, I suspect he won't be coming to Burnley. Not yet, anyway. :wink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree that TB said the top offer came in too late and the club would not have had time to react. But we are a couple of months from the window and I do feel that offer maybe reached again or even bettered, so they could be looking for a replacement/replacements now and possibly use some of the money for other areas of the team.

There is another factor that you seem to be overlooking too - Stephens' personal finances. In the January window, he will be 3 months away from a MASSIVE signing on fee, which he will only get if the buying club are trying to tempt a free agent. Stephens himself might refuse to move in January!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Didn't bother reading past this nonsense.

sidwell ....playing well , team player , breaks up opposing play , kicks with both feet ......committed to the club.

stephens.....doing enough , want's to leave , handed a request in...northern daisy.....so not committed to club.

in which case you can ferk right off ...it's my opinion .

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
sidwell ....playing well , team player , breaks up opposing play , kicks with both feet ......committed to the club.

stephens.....doing enough , want's to leave , handed a request in...northern daisy.....so not committed to club.

in which case you can ferk right off ...it's my opinion .

Its a ridiculous opinion.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'm impressed how everyone has iterated and reiterated the exact same points for 20 pages now. Well done, everyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here